Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I'm still rocking a drill and saw with the power cord

40 yars later still holding a charge just like day 1
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    I use the Makita stuff at work and like them well enough. Non-brushless because the set was significantly cheaper on amazon when I purchased them.

With a couple years on them I'd probably go with the DeWALT 20v MAX XR drill/impact set if I were to spend the money again.

All that said you really can't go wrong for Dad with any of the Milwaukee/Mikita/DeWALT sets.
    I have DeWalt and Makita drills with keyless chucks (do they even make keyed chucks on cordless drills?) and on both the chuck slips and loosens on round shank bits. My Ryobi drill actually has the best chuck. Is Milwaukee any better. Or do I need to work on my grip strength?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I'm still rocking a drill and saw with the power cord

40 yars later still holding a charge just like day 1
    Name:  dovo-forestal-58-red-wood-straight-razor_336x.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  6.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I have DeWalt and Makita drills with keyless chucks (do they even make keyed chucks on cordless drills?) and on both the chuck slips and loosens on round shank bits. My Ryobi drill actually has the best chuck. Is Milwaukee any better. Or do I need to work on my grip strength?
    I had a porter cable once, and the chuck absolutely sucked. It loosened constantly.

My Milwaukee cordless does loosen on occasion, but I think it’s just the nature of the beast. It seems to happen most often with my kreg drill bit.

I have a corded Makita hammer drill with a keyless chuck that has the opposite problem--I have to tap the bit on the tip with a hammer to loosen the chuck.
    Keyed chucks are a PITA but they work.

Mikita 1st. Milwaukee got their shit together and is now equally good.

Ryobi from homedepot beats all for the price, when on sale and not used every day in the trades
    Got a ryobi 5 tool kit 2 years ago for $220 and I love it.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    I was wondering why so many Milwaukee recs, than I realized everyone here loves the red ones...
    This is the most important thing, the red ones are clearly faster. Imagine how much more productive Foggy would be if he had red ones instead of the children's yellow ones? I bet his van looks like this:

And who knows what the fuck Steve is doing with the blue ones...

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    And who knows what the fuck Steve is doing with the blue ones...
    drilling lots of holes and driving lots of screws. Blue is the color of calming, peace and soothing.

Thanks for the fun everyone. Turns out I had bad intel on Dad's battery. He actually has the Ryobi 18 one + system that they still make now. Grabbed one on sale that should work fine and Dad was stoked yesterday.

Now I need to figure out something for the big guy's birthday next week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post

Ryobi from homedepot beats all for the price, when on sale and not used every day in the trades
    Got a ryobi 5 tool kit 2 years ago for $220 and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I have a full line (8 tools, 15 batteries) of old 18v DeWalts. As tool die and batteries no longer charge I’ve been buying new 20v DeWalts tools and batteries. So that I’m not loosing functionality of older tools I picked up this adapter to use new batteries on old tools.
    Attachment 239168
    I was thinking seriously about that, then I realized I'd need at least two of them, plus a couple of batteries, and would have to remember to pull the batteries when not using since apparently leaving the battery in the adapter drains the battery. So probably makes more sense to start over when the batteries die, at least for me.

I used to leave batteries in my shop in Sacramento where they would fry in the summer and didn't last. Up here in Truckee they seem to last forever.

For the OP or anyone else with Ryobi--if your dad does stuff like installing trim around the house the Ryobi brad nailer is a nice tool. It does have the problem that it doesn't work on the highest setting so you have to dial it back and fiddle with the settings a bit. I have dewalt and ryobi trim saws and they're both pretty useless although handy to use if I have one or two cuts to make and don't want to drag out an extension cord. Also to buy wood if I have to cut it in the parking lot to get it home.

I work as an Electrician. Every five years or so I end up buying a 5-7 tool kit. I’ve been thru a couple of the old Dewalt style where the battery slides into the handle, like loading a magazine. I had a couple of the V18 Milwaukee tool sets. Now I have 18v Makita tools. I really don’t think one maker is superior to another given tools of the same age. I am always impressed with newer tools over ones ten years old though. My current Makita tools are lighter and stronger than the ten year old Milwaukee tools they replaced. On the other hand, both of the Makita cordless chucks on my new drills failed. I pulled the all metal ones off the old Milwaukee tools and put them on the Makita tools

For non commercial work I am a big fan of the 12v Lithium system. The batteries are small enough to put a spare in your pocket and often the drill or impact driver can fit in a largish pocket. I have a Craftsman set as it was one of the first like it I saw. I've been happy with it but Craftsman slowly is pulling away from making new tools. I will switch to the Milwaukee 12v eventually as they make an amazing variety of tools for the little 12v batteries. The batteries are small so they don't go forever but they recharge fast. Milwaukie is making bigger batteries if needed but the small batteries are what make the system different.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    The hot tip is to buy from a plumbing or electrical shop. They have promo deals not offered to the box stores, which typically includes $100 off with trade-in tool (actual trade is not needed typically) and/or free battery. Last one was buy a weed whacker and get a free blower or hedge trimmer.
    or Amish... not that it applies to most. but there was an Amish hardware store that I had to drive by 2 years ago to get to the project that had insane deals.

also not that it matters at this point, I have a Mikita drill/driver combo that gets the job done

TTI owns Milwaukee. They also own Ryobi and they do some private label for Craftsman.

But yeah, always buy the red one.

been on ryobi for a couple years and had trouble regulating the trigger on my brothers brand new milwaukee 18v fuel impact driver, very touchy.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    or Amish... not that it applies to most. but there was an Amish hardware store that I had to drive by 2 years ago to get to the project that had insane deals.
    The one in Unity, Maine?

Milwaukee is my first choice for all cordless tools.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Ferguson is having a pretty good sale and both red and yellow tools. $100 rebate on many. I think Fergy's is nationwide.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Ferguson is having a pretty good sale and both red and yellow tools. $100 rebate on many. I think Fergy's is nationwide.
    We have one in Truckee--great store, very helpful to the weekend warrior, and right near Full Belly. I'm always looking for an excuse to go there.

I recommend Milwaukee M18. Powerful and it has a lithium battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    We have one in Truckee--great store, very helpful to the weekend warrior, and right near Full Belly. I'm always looking for an excuse to go there.
    Huge multi billion dollar international player. Support a smaller local guy and good karma will come your way.

Quote Originally Posted by drakeson View Post
    I recommend Milwaukee M18. Powerful and it has a lithium battery.
    They all have a “lithium” battery.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Huge multi billion dollar international player. Support a smaller local guy and good karma will come your way.
    Mountain Hardware if I know what I need and they have it, Ferguson if I don't, they don't, or I'm hungry.
    If you know an independent plumbing supply in Truckee that deals with weekend warriors I'd be happy to give them a try.
    Last edited by old goat; 07-08-2018 at 10:26 AM.