Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1348
    So, after Jack, Thom, and possibly others passed on SupreChicken's pair, I grabbed them.

I've been geeking out a bit over the mount, and comparing the dot with a pair of seafoam hybrid 186s and 17/18 GPOs, the dot looks just slightly forward to my eye, but not completely out of the question.

Apples and oranges are apples and oranges. No matter how many times you bite that orange, it won't taste like apple.
    Also, you don't need to geek about the old holes if you fill them with shish kabob sticks and epoxy.
    I'm skiing Kusalas with 32 holes per ski because I filled them correctly and am quite confident they're not going to suddenly fold on me.

I've noticed that at a -1 (really more like -0.75), these skis do exactly what I want, but only when I go back to my old ways of driving the shit out of the shovels. I surmise based on that, that +0.5 to +1.0 could be good crack for the more relaxed stance, or for my version of it. Sort of wish I'd put the demo clamps on first, to play around with mount points, but maybe next couple of days out I'll use my touring boots, centered on the dot, and form a better opinion.

Kids and I went to Baker last week after Crystal, and skied some hoary steeps and brutal ice moguls, and they stood up nicely to the abuse. The enduro stiff is a good mountain goat. I really had a blast cutting jump turns down Pan Dome and Gunner's Bowl and bombing the runouts.

Praxis Lhasa Pows?

I have quite a few days on mine now in a variety of conditions. I’m mounted @ -.5mm from the new dot. The new dot is +1cm from the old 191’Lhasa FAT. The reason for the dot being there is that that’s what was marked on the proto version splat brought to Keith to build the new ones. That’s per my conversation with Keith after I asked him how he came to the mount point.
    Not really sure why now, with zero change to the front of the ski, Splat is having issue initiating a turn from the shovel. If that’s the case he should have had that issue on the OG as well. Now he is mounted +1.5cm from the old dot. (((Shrugs)))

At my mount location I have ZERO issue initiating a turn by just tipping the ski over and standing on it with some boot cuff pressure, nothing crazy. Don’t have to lean into the shovel to get it to hook up.
    I did get a touch lazy maching high g force turns the other day with SkiLyft and found myself coming out of a turn with my weight slightly on my heal instead of the ball of the foot and got rocketed into the air. Luckily I was able to get back on top as they came down for the next turn, yeehaw! Plenty of tail back there to kick your ass. I have learned to harness that thing for some amazing exits on turns.
    Mount on the dot, cool, mount back .5, sweet, mount foward .5 at your own risk.

Skied zipper crust, don’t care.
    Skied warmed up pow, don’t care.
    These things just don’t care what is in front of them. Zero hook, just beautiful predictable turning, or not turning.
    Edit to add: heavy stiff veneer build

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I did my standard detune from contact points to tips with a diamond stone. Actually think I overdid it, wish I had left the edges alone and just skied them.
    Thanks for that info as that is what I needed guidance on. Waxed and bagged up for road trip to Mammoth tomorrow. DOG, I hope I can do this ski justice.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

^^ you’re going to be extremely validated for this ski purchase with the snow Mammoth is getting

Praxis Lhasa Pows?

3 feet of blower at Heavenly today... cannot say enough how good these skis are. Tons of float, pivot on a dime, cut through chop like a knife. So intuitive, not demanding, airs are awesome. Still very happy with the dimple, don't see a need to go back, although there will be very little difference between 0 and -.5

Although very different skis, I really want to A/B these with my 192 Protests (didn’t have them with me to do that today). These are so good I’d seriously consider reaching for them over the protests on a day like this. Or perhaps protests in the morning and Lhasas in the afternoon when it’s more tracked out
    Last edited by Muggydude; 02-11-2019 at 04:17 PM.

3 feet of blower at Heavenly today... cannot say enough how good these skis are. Tons of float, pivot on a dime, cut through chop like a knife. So intuitive, not demanding, airs are awesome.

Although very different skis, I really want to A/B these with my 192 Protests (didn’t have them with me to do that today). These are so good I’d seriously consider reaching for them over the protests on a day like this. Or perhaps protests in the morning and Lhasas in the afternoon when it’s more tracked out
    Paging 2funky as he did this exact thing yesterday at the mission gathering. He should be able to provide feedback on the turning capabilities in tight trees. ;-)
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Paging 2funky as he did this exact thing yesterday at the mission gathering. He should be able to provide feedback on the turning capabilities in tight trees. ;-)
    Sent muggy an inadvertent pm about that comparison even though he asked about a C&D comparison. Lol!

Well? Inquiring minds eh

3/4 enduro carbon w/ nylon - proto pair

Goddamn these skis pop. Super energetic in pow bumps, trees, etc. they’re capable in the chop but not quite as damp or chargy as a lot of skis I’m used to. They strike a great balance that I’m pretty pleased with. That said, if anyone has a 4 flex and thinks it’s a little too demanding I could be convinced to trade before i redrill for pivots/cast at -5mm.

For those of you who missed out this year....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1550712448.995592.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	201.9 KB 
ID:	270688

Huh, I go to the praxis page and it’s not an item available to order....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Praxis Lhasa Pows?

I'm thinking of releasing the pair I got from splat back into the wild. It's been nice to ride them and they had a chance to make the rounds at BBI Aply as well. They're great skis but I haven't clicked with them enough to keep them in the quiver.

Enduro +carbon
    Flex 3/4
    Nylon top
    1 mount

Asking what I paid, $700 shipped incl. solly demo bindings to dial in your mount point.

FS: Praxis/PM Gear 191 Lhasa Pow Fat
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=326519
    Last edited by jackattack; 02-26-2019 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Huh, I go to the praxis page and it’s not an item available to order....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    They will add them in the spring I bet.

Not sure how it’s possible but every day I ski my Lhasas I like them more. 8 inches of heavy surfy snow. So much fun in the glades. Really great for picking my way through right tree lines. The shape lends itself very well to smoothing our crud and variable, heavy snow. Extremely confidence inspiring.

I’ve had very little time on them on hardpack, but they can really lay down a trench

Heavy stiff(4/5) mounted on the line for sth2 16s. Very light passes with a gummi stone on tip and tail. My pair was nicely detuned from the factory.

Skied them bell to bell today in 8-12" or fresh over ice so I got to try them out in every type of snow you can think of.

They are carve’y skis, you can release the tail and slarve, but slashing is not really allowed.

They require somewhat of a forward stance, but not crazy amounts of tip pressure, staying upright and centered works great in fresh.

The heavy layup is damp, quiet and very stable. Not super poppy but is awesome when you’re pushing it. Feels a lot like a on3p. I really like the 4/5 flex, allows the tip to flex and provide suspension through bumped up snow.

Great landing platforms, won’t kill you if you land a little backseat.

In fresh snow they ski like a scalpel, sort of like the 4frnt renegade but with a more forward stance. You are in the snow, but can navigate and change direction as you please. This allows them to work great in the trees, but also allows them to upon up on steep faces. They are awesome in fresh and tracked out fresh snow. Big turns, small turns, medium turns, no problem.

Where I wasn’t a huge fan was in more set up soft chop. Here I felt the ski still retain that scalpel feeling, cutting through the chop more than blasting through it, this is just a very different feeling that what I am used to with skis of this waist width. Feels very different from the BG in chop.

Not great in moguls(duh), but the stiff flex allows you to just bomb, straighligned many a moguled groomer today out of lazyness.

On the one smooth groomer I skied today they laid trenches and felt very strong on edge.

They make me want to try a super goat lol.

BTW what’s the radius on these?
    Last edited by mr_pretzel; 03-12-2019 at 06:56 PM.

Nice. Wonder who else picked up the heavy 4/5.
    Your chop comments are confusing to me.
    Bi-radius. 34 tip to 41 through the waist and tail.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Nice. Wonder who else picked up the heavy 4/5.
    Your chop comments are confusing to me.
    Bi-radius. 34 tip to 41 through the waist and tail.
    I'll ski them more tomorrow and see if I notice any changes. I should point out that it still charges in the soft chop, just in a different manner? Less pushing the tip through stuff and more slicing.

Awesome, thank you! I knew it was big, but not that big, cool.

I wonder if the stiff flex is "preventing" you from slashing. I find my Enduro/Veneer/3-4 flex pair easy enough to slash in soft snow, so long as I am pressuring the tips moderately. Leaning back and I can feel the edges along the tail hooking up and taking me the direction the tail wants to go (straight).

I wonder if the stiff flex is "preventing" you from slashing. I find my Enduro/Veneer/3-4 flex pair easy enough to slash in soft snow, so long as I am pressuring the tips moderately. Leaning back and I can feel the edges along the tail hooking up and taking me the direction the tail wants to go (straight).
    That probably makes sense. I can still slash, but the ski is by no means “slashy”. I would love to get on one of the lighter more energetic builds, I could see them being really fun.

Praxis Lhasa Pows?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I'll ski them more tomorrow and see if I notice any changes. I should point out that it still charges in the soft chop, just in a different manner? Less pushing the tip through stuff and more slicing.

Awesome, thank you! I knew it was big, but not that big, cool.
    That makes sense. ZERO plow from these bad dogs! Just stand on them and cruise through the chop like it ain’t no thang.
    Personally I feel the stiff flex allows them to slash easier, the tip doesn’t want to flex and pull the tips up the hill. My heavy stiffs slash with super ease due to the tail rocker mod. Maybe it’s my detune as I have that absolutely dialed for my taste.
    Lol, yeah, the tails will not tolerate you being lazy/on them which is another reason I love this ski. Bring the proper form and they flat crush. Not that I haven’t had the tail remind me of that!

Praxis Lhasa Pows?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I should point out that it still charges in the soft chop, just in a different manner? Less pushing the tip through stuff and more slicing.
    I have a pair of the OG Lhasa fats, the combination of taper, profile and flex creates a tip that will cut through just about anything without being deflected, in short they haul ass while being really stable regardless of how chopped up conditions get (within reason - refrozen avalanche debris pretty much suck on anything).

You guys are making me want to mount up my pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    You guys are making me want to mount up my pair.
    Oh for cryin our loud. Mount the fuckers already.