Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1348
    If you're in Tahoe, I hope you're getting those things out today, Muggy!

Protests today, Lhasas tomorrow or over the weekend (;

Solid plan, enjoy!

I've been lurking and following this thread avidly. The talk about spooning got me out of the woodwork on this one.

In 2011 I asked for a custom ski based on what i didn't know at the time was the L120. Long Story short, an aggressively pintailed 196. mine had flat tail camber but more tip to tail taper than the lhasa fat.

Anyways, I still ride and love that ski and have been following this thread because if another pressing were to happen at the right time, this ski could probably replace those admittedly tired customs in a year or 3.

The one trait I would try and mellow out is the tendency to hook or come around in variable but deep pow. I always wanted to try the spooned L120 as I know damn well this is the trait they were working on. I would've tried spooning the nose before adding tail rocker but I'm super stoked you all got what you wanted with this project.

Anyways, carry on! I just couldn't pass up the chance to nerd out on gear. Especially a shape I've gotten along so well with.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I've been lurking and following this thread avidly. The talk about spooning got me out of the woodwork on this one.

In 2011 I asked for a custom ski based on what i didn't know at the time was the L120. Long Story short, an aggressively pintailed 196. mine had flat tail camber but more tip to tail taper than the lhasa fat.

Anyways, I still ride and love that ski and have been following this thread because if another pressing were to happen at the right time, this ski could probably replace those admittedly tired customs in a year or 3.

The one trait I would try and mellow out is the tendency to hook or come around in variable but deep pow. I always wanted to try the spooned L120 as I know damn well this is the trait they were working on. I would've tried spooning the nose before adding tail rocker but I'm super stoked you all got what you wanted with this project.

Anyways, carry on! I just couldn't pass up the chance to nerd out on gear. Especially a shape I've gotten along so well with.
    Another verbiage question. What does "spoon" mean w/r/r ski design?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post

Think of it almost as extreme base bevel. The term comes from trying to make the bottom of the ski look a bit like the bottom side of a spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    Name:  lotus138_pdp_base.png
Views: 552
Size:  211.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post

It's probably too small for you, but I bet a Super Goat (or older 191) with lotsa base bevel in the rockered section would be pretty darn close to what you seek. IMHO, the RES of the BG makes them less hooky and more surfy than the spooned L120.

Based on my experience with the OG Lhasa Fat (can't speak to the Praxis built ones) vs the BG, is technical terrain: sketchy entrances, that kind of stuff. In that respect, it's kind of like a cross between a BG and GPO that responds a bit better to tip pressure than either.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I had the spooned L120 and was underwhelmed. Couldn’t really tell a difference except it was hard to initiate with the cuff on the groomed.

Moved on to supergoats and Lhasa fats. Far superior

SG’s smear from the middle and are super playful.

Lhasa are driven from the cuff and more locked in.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I had the spooned L120 and was underwhelmed. Couldn’t really tell a difference except it was hard to initiate with the cuff on the groomed.

Moved on to supergoats and Lhasa fats. Far superior

SG’s smear from the middle and are super playful.

Lhasa are driven from the cuff and more locked in.

New or old Lhasa? New Lhasa releases with ease over the old “locked in” one.

Also, what flex SG? The 1.5 wasn’t very playful, all bidness, which I dug.

New Lhasa, “locked” compared to the SG never skied the old Lhasa fat. Did love the original Lhasa though.

My SG’s are 1.0 flex. I’m 175 soaking wet and they are bouncy and fun. Still crushed the chop but with a more upright centered stance.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Praxis Lhasa Pows?

Ahh. Yeah, more edgy than SG. The 1.5 SG is a crusher, not really playful. Agreed on the more upright stance. Both crush chop, my Lhasa are heavy Stiffs, crush chop like the SG, a little differently. Agreed on the more shin in the cuff for Lhasa for chop. Both like a centered stance in smooth snow. SG can be skied centered in chop.
    Edit to add: Lhasa seems more willing to play to me compared to 1.5 SG. Both mean business.

Praxis Lhasa Pows?

First day on my pair. Enduro/Med Flex/Veneer. One word: FKNA!!!

These skis are amazing. All I hoped for and more. Conditions were kind of funky - about two feet of super high density/wet pow. Resulted in skiing more like 8” of spring slush/mashed potatoes. Everything was soft, but variable.

Keith and Pat nailed the tail design. Glad they didn’t listen to me and add more rocker. It releases with ease, can shut down on a dime.

Definitely prefer a forward stance and shin pressure, but I didn’t find them demanding. If you are leaning back the tails can take you for a bit of a ride. I found them super intuitive and easy to ski. Mounted on the dimple seems perfect for variable conditions. I definitely wouldn’t go forward, -.5 could be money for deep snow. 1-2 feet of lighter pow coming Monday so we’ll see how it goes.

Overall though I love the skis, could not be happier. One thing that surprised me was how light on the feet they were, and quick to whip around or Billygoat. Very little deflection, but I definitely think I would enjoy the heavy core too. Pairing these with my 182 heavy/carbon/veneer Quixote’s, glad I went Enduro for deeper snow bias. They still crush resort and chop

Super smooth skis, happy to ski slow or fast. Rail a groomer, or make short radius turns. I did my standard detune from contact points to tips with a diamond stone. Actually think I overdid it, wish I had left the edges alone and just skied them.

Definitely surprised at how quick and easy to ski these were, was a little concerned about the length and how people talk about hem being locked in. Definitely don’t feel like they lock except when intentional for a big GS turn. They kind of feel like what I wish my brothers Billgoats felt like - lighter on the feet and more lively. They jive with a sort of sidewinder style of turning which reminds me of how BG pow ski videos look like.

Best looking ski I own, for sure. American flag bases because FKNA 🦅 Applause to Pat and Keith for a sick ski. Permanent place in my quiver for sure

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2215.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	662.5 KB 
ID:	265496

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2218.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	675.6 KB 
ID:	265497

Ah muggy. Now I'm jealous. I've held off this whole time but your descriptor of a little lighter on the feet BG is interesting.

When someone sells, please look me up. Ideally you mounted with shifts but not terribly concerned.

Skied mine at Crystal today. I gave the tips a little more detune after my first experience, and the locked in feeling on steep fall line turns vanished. Got a couple of really nice steep runs down Powder Bowl and the Bear Pits. Conditions were variable, to say the least. Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Skied mine at Crystal today. I gave the tips a little more detune after my first experience, and the locked in feeling on steep fall line turns vanished. Got a couple of really nice steep runs down Powder Bowl and the Bear Pits. Conditions were variable, to say the least. Good times!
    It must have been you I spotted getting off FQ yesterday. Skis looked gorgeous.

Praxis Lhasa Pows?

Second day. 15+ inches at Squaw. Not blower pow but much lighter than the past few days. These skis rock. Dimple felt spot on, would not move my mount. Had some all-time best runs off KT22 with an almost first chair.

0 tip dive, cut through chop very well. Awesome float. Super happy to make any turn shape honestly. Again surprised by how light and easy to ski they felt. Enduro/veneer handle everything great. Would love to A/B with a heavy core version, which I think would be awesome too.

Skied over some rocks (razors) accidentally on a weird traverse up a ridge. Put some decent scratches in them, pretty bummed, but I think many other skis would have been core shots so could have been worse. Gonna repair them with some ptex and they’ll be good to go

Pat and Keith knocked this ski out of the park

Nice! Skied mine this weekend In Zipper crust, heavy snow, wind packed, groomers and they just killed it everywhere. So glad pat agreed to go with the tail rocker. It just makes this ski so much better.
    If you get lost Muggy and find yourself in Idaho you can ride my heavy/stiffs.

Now that I've found my bcl (+5mm) on my blacktops, they're for sale, with or without solly metal Z12 demo bindings. Easy 3 days on them, no hits or dings. $650.

So forward 5mm from the punch?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Now that I've found my bcl (+5mm) on my blacktops, they're for sale, with or without solly metal Z12 demo bindings. Easy 3 days on them, no hits or dings. $650.
    pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    So forward 5mm from the punch?
    Yes. on a 318 sole. That fucking tip ain't never gonna sink and this gave me a better full ski feeling with a touch more tail on the firm.

Forward from the dot sounds crazy to me, though admittedly I don't have the deep history with this ski like splat.

Remember, the dot on these is 1cm forward from the old PM Gear production pairs already... which pretty well lines up with the tail rocker tweak that was worked out in this thread.

I'm mounted 6mm back and wouldn't change em... this shape wants to be driven with shin pressure and I'd be worried about ending up with too much tail and not enough meat up front for powerfully railing that long-ass radius. And the tails kick back if you get lazy, so I'd rather not have extra length there.

I've skied these a few days now and am fucking stoked. Fast skis, not too demanding but they are stable, hoo. Mobbed giant turns through foot-deep old-pow-turned-corn-chowdah like fucking floatatious sabres.

Again, great job, team.

Praxis Lhasa Pows?

I concur with Norseman. Definitely didn’t feel like I’d go forward of the line, but could see going .5cm back. I however am not mounting these for icy/hardpack skiing so I could perhaps see some merit in forward for that.

Dimple seems perfect to me

Glad to see Jackattack trying to snag a pair, think he’s had first dibs for a while? Hell I almost want to have a backup pair for whenever mine eventually die

Call me crazy. those biatches are gone johnson.