Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Also bought a pair of their "Street" knee pads, and at $30 for a pair of light-feeling pads I'm not disappointed. Definite step up from G-form etc but I think they'll pedal well enough to wear. Adjustable straps above and below, better coverage than it looked like on their site and the back is open in the middle with light stretchy mesh above and below. Soon as the road rash lets me I'll post a report, but so far the only thing that's disappointing is that there is no silicone gripper anywhere on them. To be expected at $30 and if they stay put I'll be happy. Impressive use of the non-Newtonian foam without jacking up the price.
    Those do look pretty good for the price. It's funny how all their protection gear is advertised as being able to be worn under clothes without being noticed. Skaters have fragile egos, apparently.

Yeah that amused me, too. I'd rather have my clothes under the pads, but I guess ripped jeans are perennially cool.

Every video I recall of Semenuk, he's wearing what looks like skinny jeans with a bunch of pads inside. If it works for Brandon, I'm guessing it's not because of vanity.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    If I wanted a detachable, the only non-slip-on knee-shin I know of that does a good job of staying put while pedaling/crashing and is a good piece of equipment is 7iDP Flex:

Attachment 239903

It his held on very well by three straps and they are customizable to cover more or less shin depending on your day (thin protector segments removable).
    I just got a pair of these and used them for the first time last night.

I haven't tried every pad but compared to every other pad I've tried that can be removed without taking off shoes, these are by far the most secure/stable. There are a bazillion velcro straps but the end result works - these stay in place like a high end slip-on pad, not like a typical wrap pad.

I rode in them with the shin protector removed and likely will run them that way most of the time, adding the extender for bike park or shuttle days, or enduro races. They do have more upper shin coverage than most pads even with the extender removed. It takes about 10 seconds to attach the shin extender if you want it. The level of protection, with or without the shin extender, is excellent.

They are not ideal to pedal in. The cup over the kneecap is hard plastic, the strap under the knee is pretty high (which helps makes them extremely secure but can chafe a little when pedaling), and they are hot. Definitely the kind of pad you strap to your pack and put on at the top. Since they're longer than most pads they're not ideal for pulling down to your ankles either.

Most of my riding involves a long climb to a long, rowdy descent and they're pretty great for that. If your riding is more rolling or you prefer to ride without a pack, you can find something better.

Damnit. I still have a bump on my shin from a rock strike in May, and just got another one. Still not sure what my best choice is. Leaning soccer pads or those socks as an addition to my POC knee pads on trails with lots of loose rock that seem to really like my shins...

Sent from my VS996 using TGR Forums mobile app

Both inexpensive solutions, can't go wrong trying one. The socks are pretty minimalist. Only way they could be less obtrusive is if they were open on the back or could be removed while climbing, but they're certainly more comfortable unless one of those is a really big deal to you. Might be less coverage, too, but they keep the very front of the leg covered and the rest isn't such a forward-facing surface (or as hard) as the shin bone. So when you catch the rock next to the pad it's more often a glancing blow. Which all seems like rationalizing less protection, but if you didn't go straight to the 7iDP's or similar then obviously you know the best pads are the ones you'll actually wear.

Riding buddy dug his son's old kid-sized shin guards out of his garage. He wears them under long socks. He says they work great, and don't slip.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

More update on the padded concrete visionary socks ... it's been in the 90's the last 2 weeks here so the riding has been pretty damn drenching.
    I haven't once complained that the socks are too hot or too wet ... I just don't really notice it. The bamboo charcoal fibers feel pretty nice.

I think I still prefer the feel of Defeet socks, in terms of smoothness of fabric, thickness, etc, and I will probably use those on random days when I'm in my clipless shoes ... but the concrete visionary socks are just fine as my current staple of flat-pedal riding.

Here's how they look on such hot days here in the Willamette Valley:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8811.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	243067

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

It took 9 weeks for this thing to fully heal.

I bought the shorter length crew versions for my wife, she loves them. Thanks for the rec! I'll have to get a pair for myself now.

I threw a jagged softball sized rock off my front tire into my shin last week while riding at a pretty good clip ... the knee high padded socks did their job!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I discovered a minor downside to the bamboo charcoal knee high padded socks ...

My dog is obsessed with them! When she gets into the laundry room it takes her no more than 300 milliseconds to snurfle them out of the basket and be gone. She won’t even trade a sock back to me for a strip of chicken jerky! I have to drop a load of salmon treats on the ground just to get my sock back! And she’s already destroyed 2 socks because I wasn’t fast enough with the trade ... ugh.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

That's hilarious!

The d3o must have a good chewy feel that your pup likes.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Yeah that, combined with how well it soaks up the “leg juices” - best dog toy ever ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by reckless toboggan View Post
    That's hilarious!

The d3o must have a good chewy feel that your pup likes.
    Okay, this is starting to get expensive ... 3rd or 4th padded sock destroyed this summer. Ugh.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9101.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	249287

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

The bouquet of sweaty feet with a nice chewy mouth feel is a hard combination for any of us to resist.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Nom nom nom

I've been wearing the G-form shins:
    https://www.leftlanesports.com/produ...IaAk0ZEALw_wcB

I think they're great and pretty cheap. Might be interested to get on this sock train though...

Bump / PSA, knee high padded socks on sale for $10 a pair (normally $16)
    https://concrete-visionary.com/produ...-foam-sewn-in/

I had to order a bunch more ... my freakin dog is so opportunistic if I, or my wife, leave our laundry baskets on a low elevation surface ...

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Just ordered a couple pairs on sale. Thanks! And for the already ailing shin lacerations: i split my shin on some sheet metal, the thing wouldn’t heal! The only thing that worked was a witch doctor cure. Get some fresh comfrey, chew it up into a poultice, put on wound, wrap a 4x4 over top and change dressing after 24 hours. Within 2 days the laceration closed up and never opened again. This after several weeks of reopening by just looking at it. If you’re ever in Sandpoint, I will give you a bag of comfrey, but I wont pre chew it for you.

Might have to try those, thanks. I got some knee high compression socks for AZTR which also help protect against brush. Something thicker like this would probably be even better.

ordered 2
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Got mine in the mail. Wore them to work of course, to test out. Those ankle protectors kinda dig in. Might have to see if I can tear those out. The main shin pad seems like it will work for direct hits. Not as wide as I thought it would be.

Is anyone using the Leatt or GForm knee/shin pads? I know the GForm has no back of leg protection, are the Leatt the same? I visit over 100 bike stores a month and none of them have these in stock for me to see.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Got mine in the mail. Wore them to work of course, to test out. Those ankle protectors kinda dig in. Might have to see if I can tear those out. The main shin pad seems like it will work for direct hits. Not as wide as I thought it would be.
    Try them on an actual ride before taking drastic measures. I found that once your legs get up to riding temperature (heat output) the D3O softens and you can’t feel those circular pads whatsoever. Wearing them around the house or at work won’t replicate how you’ll use them on a ride. This includes using them in cool fall weather, but I’ll admit I haven’t tried them below 50F outside to see if they are still stiff on the ankles.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell