Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I got a pair - I like them, but they fall down a bit on my big ol calves and pinch above the shoe tongue. Better than taking rocks to a shin! Especially for 10 bones.

Anybody wear pants while riding? Almost that season. I use knee pads on most descents if that makes a difference.
    sproing!

Amazing things can happen in work khakis. Two times I forgot riding shorts and had to ride in my work khakis. Both times I stepped up and hit something big that I'd been backing down from forever. So, there's that.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I got a pair - I like them, but they fall down a bit on my big ol calves and pinch above the shoe tongue. Better than taking rocks to a shin! Especially for 10 bones.

Anybody wear pants while riding? Almost that season. I use knee pads on most descents if that makes a difference.
    Been thinking seriously about pickup a pair of the downhill pajama pants. Pretty practical for deflecting all manor of crap, especially in cooler temps.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I picked up Fox Flexair pants this spring after getting tired of getting poison oak on my shins. They pedal great, and succeeded at keeping off the poison oak. They breath pretty well, good enough to pedal in with knee pads on up until about 70. I probably could wear them in hotter temps but didn't try.

My only complaint is that it becomes a real pain in the ass to make small adjustments to your knee pads if they start to slip and rub. Basically, you have to pull to the side of the trail, drop trou, and fuss with your knee pads and hope some family of hikers doesn't see you.

I will ride them like crazy again once the wet season starts.

I have a pair of Club Ride pants for cooler months. I like 'em

heh, my ex-roadie ass is still using leg warmers under the knee pads for cold weather riding. It's been working out for me so far.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Gform user here. Has saved me from injury more than once.

Not quite pantaloon season here, still wearing mah kilt for post ride airing of the dangly bits.
    watch out for snakes

Moderate fail on the socks. I ordered 2 pair. The shin protection rubs on top of my foot. The problem is in the design. It should have a horseshoe shape where it comes down the top of the foot like any other shinpad would. Instead these are rounded. I would need to use moleskin or build up callouses for it to be comfortable.

^ that’s pretty good feedback that wouldn’t really affect flat footed (like me) or smaller users ... you should send it to them.

I’m really curious how many MTBers are buying from them, as their product is a really simple low cost alternative to the G Form shin pad.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Probably not many. Your post was the first place I'd ever heard of them.

Tried them out this weekend. You were right the ankle pads weren't an issue. No complaints except they are definitely on the warm side.

Update now that I've used these concrete visionary padded socks for a while.

They work pretty well. Pad in front definitely helps protect against brush.

My main complaint is when wearing them for more than 2-3 hrs the shin and ankle pad start to rub and irritate my leg.

I often use knee high compression socks on longer / backcountry rides and those provide decent protection for general scrapage. But not as good as the sewn in pad against punctures from thorns, catclaw, cactus, etc.

I'll probably keep using the padded socks for shorter rides and regular compression socks for longer rides.

I"ve been wearing those Concrete Visionary socks for a bit now and I gotta say I love them. NO rubbing problems. I will probably buy a couple more pairs and then I can upgrade to newer smaller knee pads from my TLD KGL5450 with the long shin coverage for xc rides.

Still have my burly POC Bone leg guards for DH.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Decided I wanted to learn to dirt jump on an actual dirt jumper yesterday. I can hit all the jumps clipped in on my mountain bike.
    I hadn't ridden flats in 10 years since I was doing a bunch of jumping all the time. Was used to them then. Yesterday my buddy let me borrow his DJ bike. My foot was comfortable on my top pedal and I tried to relocate my bottom foot on my bottom paddle and as soon as I lifted my bottom foot up my top pedal forced the cranks backwards and fileted my shin. Anyway, looking for the longest shin pads that will cover down below the second cut near my ankle. I'll probably just continue to ride my mountain bike at the bike park with clips, haha. But I still have dreams of learning to ride flat pedals again and being able to put my foot out for fun whenever. The g form combination knee and shin pad (elite knee shin guard) look nice. I would only be wearing them for flats/dirt jumping. For my normal mountain bike rides with Clips I wouldn't wear them so I'm not too worried about if they are hot or not.

Also, to the dirt jumpers out there, man these things go so much faster than the mountain bikes. Are people feathering the brakes ? On my mountain bike, I don't really have to because the suspension absorbs a lot of the energy and slows me down.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

OUCH

One of those would be impressive, two is next level. I got one similar to the lower one two summers ago, it took 9 weeks to fully heal, FYI.

Ouch. The problem with the G Form is no side or back of leg protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    One of those would be impressive, two is next level. I got one similar to the lower one two summers ago, it took 9 weeks to fully heal, FYI.
    LALALALALALA

I'm going to try quitting sugar and eating kale for the next two weeks and see what happens. Extreme measures for extreme times

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Ouch. The problem with the G Form is no side or back of leg protection.
    Gotcha. I think my brother still has those original Roach/ race face pads that I gave him to use for his dirt bike, haha. Those would probably be good for me. Does anyone make anything like that style full coverage, but not as bulky and shitty straps as those used to have? They always slipped down my knees and ended up being supported up by my shoe

I have dainese and are very light and good protection.

Italian brand, they make a lot of moto protection as well

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    LALALALALALA

I'm going to try quitting sugar and eating kale for the next two weeks and see what happens. Extreme measures for extreme times
    The main thing for me, especially early on, was to spend at least a few hours per day with my leg elevated. Your lymphatic system doesn't work for shit below your knee. I didn't need to spend as much time with elevated the last 4 weeks or so, but if you feel your leg swelling up it's time to put it up.

Heal up man!

That looks brutal.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    Gotcha. I think my brother still has those original Roach/ race face pads that I gave him to use for his dirt bike, haha. Those would probably be good for me. Does anyone make anything like that style full coverage, but not as bulky and shitty straps as those used to have? They always slipped down my knees and ended up being supported up by my shoe
    yeah those roach pads were bulky,slipped and were very hot but kind of handy for old school lawndart activities on 50lb bikes, I still got a couple pair and the elastic is pretty flacid
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I've learned the hard way that pads that don't stay in place while riding AND crashing are worthless. Their occasional function (being and staying in place) is offset by false confidence that they will be in place and then are not.

yeah IMO you need a lycra sleeve on back of pads to keep them in place NOT straps/velcro, the down side is you need to take yer shoes off to remove them but you can shove them down on your shins insted to go drinking beer and the side benefit is you will look SO core I'm sure

I tried on > half a doz brands of shin pad in small & medium which was the only way to get a good fit cuz they all fit/felt very different, for me of what was still available on the wall that was Dakine Slayer & 661 2x4 elbow pads

I see folks in this thread buying them on-line and I don't think you will get a good fit doing that, the good news is ... you won't know any better
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah IMO you need a lycra sleeve on back of pads to keep them in place NOT straps/velcro, the down side is you need to take yer shoes off to remove them but you can shove them down on your shins insted to go drinking beer and the side benefit is you will look SO core I'm sure

I tried on > half a doz brands of shin pad in small & medium which was the only way to get a good fit cuz they all fit/felt very different, for me of what was still available on the wall that was Dakine Slayer & 661 2x4 elbow pads

I see folks in this thread buying them on-line and I don't think you will get a good fit doing that, the good news is ... you won't know any better
    Totally!

The sock ones work well for staying in place.

I currently have about 12 types of knee pads in my living room to try on, choose one set, send the rest back. Knee pads are the worst for slipping while riding/crashing.