Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Totally!

The sock ones work well for staying in place.

I currently have about 12 types of knee pads in my living room to try on, choose one set, send the rest back. Knee pads are the worst for slipping while riding/crashing.
    never tried a sock style

the Slayer pads " cup " the knee like any brassiere i have ever had the pleasure of removing, also an asymetrical fit so the end loser must be smart enough to keep L and R by making sure the little Dakine tag is on the outside

the thing with ordering 12 pair of knee padz is that as far as i know we don't really have free return shipping on anything

eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by markcjr View Post
    Decided I wanted to learn to dirt jump on an actual dirt jumper yesterday. I can hit all the jumps clipped in on my mountain bike.
    I hadn't ridden flats in 10 years since I was doing a bunch of jumping all the time. Was used to them then. Yesterday my buddy let me borrow his DJ bike. My foot was comfortable on my top pedal and I tried to relocate my bottom foot on my bottom paddle and as soon as I lifted my bottom foot up my top pedal forced the cranks backwards and fileted my shin. Anyway, looking for the longest shin pads that will cover down below the second cut near my ankle. I'll probably just continue to ride my mountain bike at the bike park with clips, haha. But I still have dreams of learning to ride flat pedals again and being able to put my foot out for fun whenever. The g form combination knee and shin pad (elite knee shin guard) look nice. I would only be wearing them for flats/dirt jumping. For my normal mountain bike rides with Clips I wouldn't wear them so I'm not too worried about if they are hot or not.

Also, to the dirt jumpers out there, man these things go so much faster than the mountain bikes. Are people feathering the brakes ? On my mountain bike, I don't really have to because the suspension absorbs a lot of the energy and slows me down.
    Jeez. Brutal, and a huge fear for me right now. Pretty much in the same boat as you, minus the filleted shin. Dabbled in DH and Big Jumps for a bit 5-10 years ago but haven't really touched flats since. More recently, and in Enduro racing, I've just been hitting the jumps on a mountain bike with clipless. Till I got a cheap DJ and have been working my way up on the local jumps. Those little bikes really are a different world.

Anyhow, I've got an older version of these. I've had them forever, since this was the style. I had to jimmy the straps a bit but I wear them under jeans at the jumps now and they stay put just just fine. Confidence inspiring protection and cheap.

Name:  04268001_1.jpeg
Views: 404
Size:  51.0 KB
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Whoa! Thatll be a relaxing first shower

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Anyone spring for the new Chromag Rift pads? Thinking about a pair.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Anyone spring for the new Chromag Rift pads? Thinking about a pair.

I’m heading to whistler in a couple of days and want to try on a pair forsure.... and the new ( I think they are new) raceface roam I think they are called.

Stitches out, doc says give it a few days before going swimming.
    Take it easy and protect it for mountain biking but that should be no problem. Stoked I listened to the doctor for once and it healed quickly!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Good to hear you are healing
    watch out for snakes

Damn.... should leave some wicked scars!

As for the chromag, never tried them on but felt them up... a lot more solid then I had originally thought. Nice solid feel forsure. I think I’m between them, the raceface roam and fox ( forget the name, have removable knee pucks)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Damn.... should leave some wicked scars!

As for the chromag, never tried them on but felt them up... a lot more solid then I had originally thought. Nice solid feel forsure. I think I’m between them, the raceface roam and fox ( forget the name, have removable knee pucks)
    Don't get the Roams. Here are my notes on pads. (when I say something will slide down in a crash, I mean the type of crash where your knees are bent 90deg+ and you land on them facing forward)

Enduro+/DH pads (>240g ea):

RF Roam L 277g ea (on/off without removing shoes, moderate impact absorption doesn’t match its weight, will not stay up in a reverse crash, mediocre side coverage, good pedal)

Dakine Mayhem L 250g ea (amazing absorption (best of all of these) and coverage, pedals well, hot, will slip down in a crash)

Leatt Enduro L/XL 272g ea (awesome impact absorption and slide, great above the knee coverage, vented, some slide down in crash, poor pedal)

If you are riding park/shuttle, I'd pick those Fox Launch Pro D30. 314g ea. I haven't tried them but I assume they are about as good as you can get for DH level protection unless you go to full coverage knee/shin guards like IXS Cleavers. I've had some older Fox knee pads. Super stable. I bet these have awesome protection. Personally I have the POC Bone VPD Leg guards for riding park which they no longer make.

Enduro/AM pads (180-240g):

Leatt 3DF 6.0 L/XL (230g) would be good enduro choices that are still amazingly protective, ventilate and pedal well. I just bought a set of the 3DF 6.0 I think I could pedal all day in those if it wasn't too hot out. Great side coverage and sliders. The are unbelievably stable and will not slip down in a crash.

TLD Raid L/XL (217g) very similar to the Leatt 3DF 6.0 but I thought the 6.0 might pedal a tiny bit nicer, and the 6.0 has split plastic sliders which I feel help dissipate energy (and make the pad last) would be a great one-pad-choice

7idp Project M 220g (B2) (I don’t think these pedal great distances without discomfort (but my friend races enduro in them and loves em), good protection but not raid/dbx6 level?... all over the knee, little side/shin coverage. stable.)

POC VPD System Light M 213g (well vented, but poor stability and shit absorption while being stupid expensive)

Leatt 3DF 5.0 L (200g) amazing impact absorption, stable but maybe a little less stable than the 6.0, little less side coverage

AM/XC pads: (<180g)

7idp Sam hill med 160g B2 (awesome coverage, so much so that it seems like it could be pretty warm for long rides though it pedals well, Seems stable, but nowhere near the direct impact of the heavier the raid or 6.0)

Ion Traze L 160g A1 (fits about equal L/M (maybe go L), less coverage but better venting than Sam Hill with similar impact absorption, great stability, pedals well, built like a KG with flexible molded plastic over gelfoam)

POC System VPD M 175g B2 Similar coverage to the Traze, might slip in just the right crash. Direct impact absorption actually better than 3DF 6.0 for certain impacts (flat surfaces, not pointy things, on level of Leatt Enduro) they were definitely not going to slip down just pedalling but I worried about being able to pedal 30mi in these comfortwise.

TLD KGL med 143g (good impact protection but doesn’t stay in palce at all in a slide)

TLD KGS med 120 (good impact protection but doesn’t stay in place at all in a slide)

I have the TLD KGLs, mostly held together by duct tape. I think I will replace with an Ion Traze. I wish I could try on some IXS Carve Evo+ as I'm super impressed by their elbow pads.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Don't get the Roams. Here are my notes on pads. (when I say something will slide down in a crash, I mean the type of crash where your knees are bent 90deg+ and you land on them going forward)

Enduro+/DH pads (>240g ea):

RF Roam L 277g ea (on/off without removing shoes, moderate impact absorption doesn’t match its weight, will not stay up in a reverse crash, mediocre side coverage, good pedal)

Dakine Mayhem L 250g ea (amazing absorption (best of all of these) and coverage, pedals well, hot, will slip down in a crash)

Leatt Enduro L/XL 272g ea (awesome impact absorption and slide, great above the knee coverage, vented, some slide down in crash, poor pedal)

If you are riding park/shuttle, I'd pick those Fox Launch Pro D30. 314g ea. I haven't tried them but I assume they are about as good as you can get for DH level protection unless you go to full coverage knee/shin guards like IXS Cleavers. I've had some older Fox knee pads. Super stable. I bet these have awesome protection. Personally I have the POC Bone VPD Leg guards for riding park which they no longer make.

Enduro/AM pads (180-240g):

Leatt 3DF 6.0 L/XL (230g) would be good enduro choices that are still amazingly protective, ventilate and pedal well. I just bought a set of the 3DF 6.0 I think I could pedal all day in those if it wasn't too hot out. Great side coverage and sliders. The are unbelievably stable and will not slip down in a crash.

TLD Raid L/XL (217g) very similar to the Leatt 3DF 6.0 but I thought the 6.0 might pedal a tiny bit nicer, and the 6.0 has split plastic sliders which I feel help dissipate energy (and make the pad last)

7idp Project M 220g (B2) (I don’t think these pedal well, good protection but not raid/dbx6 level?, poor side/shin coverage)

POC VPD System Light M 213g (well vented, but poor stability and shit absorption while being stupid expensive)

Leatt 3DF 5.0 L (200g) amazing impact absorption, stable but maybe a little less stable than the 6.0, little less side coverage

AM/XC pads: (<180g)

POC System VPD M 175g B2 Similar coverage to the Traze, might slip in just the right crash. Direct impact absorption actually better than 3DF 6.0 for certain impacts (flat surfaces, not pointy things, on level of Leatt Enduro) they were definitely not going to slip down but I worried about being able to pedal 30mi in these.

Ion Traze L 160g A1 (fits about equal L/M (maybe go L), less coverage but better venting than Sam Hill with similar impact, built like a KG with flexible molded plastic over gelfoam)

7idp Sam hill med 160g B2 (awesome coverage, so much so that it seems like it would be pretty warm for long rides. Seems stable, but nowhere near the direct impact of the heavier the raid or 6.0)

TLD KGL med 143g (good impact protection but doesn’t stay in palce at all in a slide)

TLD KGS med 120 (good impact protection but doesn’t stay in place at all in a slide)

I have the TLD KGLs, mostly held together by duct tape. I think I will replace with an Ion Traze. I wish I could try on some IXS Carve Evo+ as I'm super impressed by their elbow pads.
    Wicked write up.... I was eyeing the Leatt 6.0 as well. I just gotta head into a couple of stores and try them all on.

i want to be able to pedal for sure