Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Yep
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

I'm watching the kids play soccer behind your house. Still no pm. C'mon mag, I won't bite

PM sent.

Ive also met wooley at bbi18. Hes a nice guy like I imagine the rest of you pricks are

fuck off eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Ok so, all the damn wet snow makes the glue useless after I take the skins off once. Also one of the metal tail clips for the g3 alpinist fell off while skinning, which I didnt notice. I weny over my skin track and couldnt find it. Not sure if this is a piece I can buy somewhere or if I have to call g3 (i had trouble finding their customer service line though). I ended up using duct tape and boot packed a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardMech View Post
    Ok so, all the damn wet snow makes the glue useless after I take the skins off once. Also one of the metal tail clips for the g3 alpinist fell off while skinning, which I didnt notice. I weny over my skin track and couldnt find it. Not sure if this is a piece I can buy somewhere or if I have to call g3 (i had trouble finding their customer service line though). I ended up using duct tape and boot packed a bit.
    If snow's saturated wet, when u pull the hides at top of run, drape em over skis facing sun and let the glue side dry for a bit before you huck into pack. Dry yer bases before you reapply skins for subsequent laps. If it's sunny out let bases heat up a bit before putting skins back on...should help the glue stick, but, at the potential cost of getting a bit more glue tackiness on base at top of skin trail. Don't ferget to rub the skins pretty firmly from tip to tail with yer hand to set the glue bond better...it does help...but then put the skis on snow immediately and stomp on em a few times so air temp/sun heat doesn't loosen that bond and cause skins to sag off ski base.

IME, G3 has pretty good customer service. Sourcing another tail clip should be eezee.
    Master of mediocrity.

Thanks

You dont realize all the little things involved with something so seemingly simple. Im also thinking that with skinning on summer snow (it did freeze get close to freezing last night though) my leg movements and center of gravity are off, like my technique is shit. I never had this trouble on fresh snow conditions. Im slipping around to much on both hills and traverses. Much to learn.

Thanks

You dont realize all the little things involved with something so seemingly simple. Im also thinking that with skinning on summer snow (it did freeze get close to freezing last night though) my leg movements and center of gravity are off, like my technique is shit. I never had this trouble on fresh snow conditions. Im slipping around to much on both hills and traverses. Much to learn.
    hmmmm, yeah, efficient tactile skinning is both a refined skill and an art. Takes time...decades in my case to finally feel like kinda winning in a general sense.

If yer looking for tips, happy to help.

First off, what are you using for skis, boots, bindings, poles? U say your center of gravity felt off...maybe boot don't have enough ROM or, powerstrap/cuff buckles weren't loosened all the way, like totally loose or even removed...any restriction in ROM fore or aft could produce that feeling of center of gravity being off cause you can't flex yer ankles enough to have correct natural pressure on balls of feet...even if yer stomping on your heels for grip in a higher heel lift setting.

I gather you have G3 Alpinist skins...are they cut correctly for the skis? wall to wall plush? or is there some edge exposed that could reduce grip in firmer snow traversey uptracks?

Also, i own alpinists and ime they're not that great for general grip, imo, and also, imo, I do mostly yo yo up and down ski touring and really don't give a rats ass about glide...i want my skins to grip hard and not fail me and make me fall on my face or hip. Black Diamond Ascensions are good and G3 high traction skins work good too.

If you think about what terrain you mostly ski tour in is there a lot of lower angle kick and gliding or is it mostly up/down yo yo type ski touring? Perhaps changing skins models would be appropriate for ya if all the other other factors are optimized and yer still having problems.
    Master of mediocrity.

You dont realize all the little things involved with something so seemingly simple.
    Wait until you try to learn to ski downhill!

(Just pulling your leg.)

Get a grown up to take care of your skin glue once and for all - they really aren't that temperamental in normal use regardless of snow conditions with even the minimum of fuss and care of them.

As suggested make sure they fit properly. That includes having the tails set so that clips don't fall off.

Stand up straight when skinning, weight through your heels. Slide you ski forward with a small stomp or heavier foot placement at end of stride to set skin plush into snow. Don't take overly long stride which will then require more stress on skin-snow to initiate next step. if side hilling scribe the ski edge in to the up hill of the skin track with each step rather than stressing the weaker downhill side. Roll you ankles down hill - you are using AT boots with a walk mode and upper buckles undone right? - to set skin flatter on snow rather than being on your edge.

Some wet heavy snow just plain sucks to skin on...
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

My set up - 184 k2 apache coomba 102s with FD freeride pro (2009 or 2010), dalbello panterra 100s (with a walk mode), bd retractable poles, and the g3 alpinist skins.

My skins have just a hint of edge showing, like a mm or so.

What I meant by my center of gravity being off is that Im leaning forward into the slope where most of my weight is at my toes or above. it feels like a reaction to slipping back.

On a uphill traverse, Ive been trying to smear the skin against the slope to use all of the skin, but it feels like I will bend my knee in a bad way, especially if it slips.

Most of tours have not had that long of an approach, but with the variety of terrian its not a given

It would seem you are well past the quick fix

https://ca-store.genuineguidegear.co...ns/accessories

there ^^ are 3 versions of tail clip, you must have the earliest if its just a metal clip that fell off

https://www.genuineguidegear.com/lif...bing-skin-glue

also a good vid in that link ^^ about skin reglueing, the tubes of goldlabel are 1/3rd the cost of the sheets and I use higher heat
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What I meant by my center of gravity being off is that Im leaning forward into the slope where most of my weight is at my toes or above. it feels like a reaction to slipping back.
    It's why you're slipping back... stop it. Stand up straight.

For uphill technique - watch these https://amga.com/ski-videos/. And unless you find a backcountry/ski touring mentor by next season sign up for one of Volken's intro to BC courses.

Bmech - If your skins are saturated quickly they may also need to be waxed (counter intuitive I know).
    Waxing helps to avoid snow build up when it's sticky, but it also helps to repel water and saturation a bit late in the season.

RE: slipping back.
    Weight distribution counts for a lot...
    Also be present to not picking up the ski when you step forward, keep it in contact with the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    Bmech - If your skins are saturated quickly they may also need to be waxed (counter intuitive I know).
    Waxing helps to avoid snow build up when it's sticky, but it also helps to repel water and saturation a bit late in the season.
    ^ This too.

It doesn't need over thinking or even using "skin wax/glop stopper" just rub some common or garden universal ski wax against the nap of the skin's plush. Keep a nub of it in your pack in your pack too for skins and skis.

I feel like (it may not be true) that Im slipping on slope angles I know Ive easily skinned up before, which makes me lean forward out of reaction, and likely over use my poles to pull myself up the slope. Ill try waxing them like ACH said.

Ill review the volken BC book I have and watch some videos in the meantime

Hopefully Ill get up with wooley next week and do the full skin repair.

I feel like (it may not be true) that Im slipping on slope angles I know Ive easily skinned up before
    Quite possible, the snow was different when you weren't slipping than it is now when you are.

If you can't maintain that track angle you need to re-think your route finding. You're almost certainly trying to skin too steeply anyway, even if you're not slipping back.

When you are comfortable in a skin track practice not using poles at all.. get the balance thing going so you're not relying on them too much.. or practically at all in normal uphill travel.

The skins were reqlued tonight. Hopefully all is well.

Fingers crossed. Not responsible for operator error.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG1772.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	241206

Stickyness seems fine. I forgot to see if you wanted/needed any early childhood educational toys. Remind me when you come for the skins.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0012 (1).jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	241349
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0012.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	879.0 KB 
ID:	241348