Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home buyer wants to do his own inspection

Ok so title says it all. I'm slightly concerned as what if he fucks something up? Sure in the purchase contract it's the buyers responsibility, but without a home inspection type "firms" insurance backing in left at buyers word they would pay for damage or sue if they don't.

Wondering if anyone has experience with this wackiness? It's a cash sale if that matters to anyone. Proof of funds was provided.

Let's hear it...am I crazy to worry? Crazy not to?

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

Are you the seller?

Maybe things are different in UT, but here in WA it wouldn't be an issue. The contract gives the buyer is given the opportunity to inspect, and it's the buyer's business whether to engage a pro (e.g., architect, contractor, engineer, inspector), a non-pro (e.g., buddy), do it himself or waive the inspection.

Not your problem.

Make sure he signs a document waiving his right to hire an inspector. Can't hurt.
    We do it when a buyer elects to remove it from an Offer.

^this can’t hurt, x2

Do attorneys draft purchase and sales agreements in your state? Will it be signed prior to buyer’s inspection? May be worth a call In to your attorney, if you plan on using one.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    ^this can’t hurt, x2

Do attorneys draft purchase and sales agreements in your state? Will it be signed prior to buyer’s inspection? May be worth a call In to your attorney, if you plan on using one.
    No attorneys. I will ask about waiving pro inspections.

Home buyer wants to do his own inspection

Any agent involvement? They may have a boilerplate form to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Any agent involvement? They may have a boilerplate form to use.
    Yeah but he didn't suggest it when I raised concerns. It's all part of the contract that they get to inspect etc. Just seems like it could be more of a pain if the buyer is doing it by self for some reason. Maybe I'm over thinking it. I just texted my agent about possibility of waiving right to hire inspector.

Is the buyer Russian
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Ask your agent if the agreement covers you for damages if buyers "friend/brother/whoever" damages the home during the inspection. I do inspections for a living, and I pay a pile of money every year for general liability/E&O insurance if something goes wrong.

If they are waiving inspection, have them sign a doc saying they are giving up their rights to an inspection which your agent should have broilerplate for. They are paying cash, so appraisal should not be an issue.

I’ve self inspected on several purchases and have never gotten pushback here in CO.

Could the buyer "find" something wrong that isn't and use it as an excuse to renege?
    Smells like trouble unless he's a building professional.

Home inspection is almost always a free out. Rarely it is written as “more than $X in repairs”
    Usually it’s an escape clause.

If he is not competent, he is surely bringing a contractor with him, or else he is clearly incompetent.

I never considered the damages he could cause. But then again not sure what that could be?
    . . .

I’d be most worried about him making shit up, rather than damaging the house

You can always watch his inspection

You can always have your own pro to review his concerns if any come up

Didn't you have live 7 offers? Is it too late to tell them to get fucked and take one of the others.

I'd be worried about them making shit up or breaking something but that's just me.

I wouldn't worry about it. What's he going to do? Fall through a skylight, get stuck in a crawlspace and die, slip in the shower checking the grout? Sounds like a buyer who knows his shit and wants to save the cash of paying an inspector.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Skidog has 37 dismembered hookers buried in shallow graves in the crawl space. He's worried about the potential buyer discovering them before the deal is final.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Could the buyer "find" something wrong that isn't and use it as an excuse to renege?
    Smells like trouble unless he's a building professional.
    He is supposedly a contractor. Yes of course they can back out for issues. Pretty standard.

The contract also says the buyer, even if using a home inspector, is responsible for any damage, but again this would be getting money from an individual not a company with insurance. That's one of the things that bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Skidog has 37 dismembered hookers buried in shallow graves in the crawl space. He's worried about the potential buyer discovering them before the deal is final.
    It's only 36..geez...

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. What's he going to do? Fall through a skylight, get stuck in a crawlspace and die, slip in the shower checking the grout? Sounds like a buyer who knows his shit and wants to save the cash of paying an inspector.
    Yes all of those things could happen. He could decide to say check the sewer line by using a cleanout. Flood my basement with sewage and I'm left with cleanup and having to make him pay. Maybe he would maybe not, but is much rather fight an insurance company. He could get in the crawlspace and put his foot through a ceiling. Textured ceilings are a bitch to patch. Again a pain I'd rather deal with an insurance company for.

I don't believe I can back out without $$ loss. I can if he comes back with shit I won't repair.

I basically told my agent that whatever he comes back with I'll basically laugh at because I have zero idea of his credentials. Like oh ok you think that's broken, I don't....too bad you didn't have a professional do the inspection I mightve worked with you a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    It's only 36..geez...

So I was off by one, but the fact remains, you don't have much to worry about with this guy doing his own inspection. Your typical pre-sale inspector is usually a hack anyway, so I would be more worried about letting one of those scheisters into your home than the likely buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    He could get in the crawlspace and put his foot through a ceiling. Textured ceilings are a bitch to patch.
    How many below-grade stories does your house have? Secret underground lair?

I wouldn't worry too much
    more than likely the guy is an idiot but that is his problem not yours
    why someone qualified or not would waste over half a day doing their own home inspection to save 600 bucks....... that's beyond me
    Everyone is an expert at selling, buying, inspecting and building homes these days
    it's easy you can just google and you tube it

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Are you the seller?

Maybe things are different in UT, but here in WA it wouldn't be an issue. The contract gives the buyer is given the opportunity to inspect, and it's the buyer's business whether to engage a pro (e.g., architect, contractor, engineer, inspector), a non-pro (e.g., buddy), do it himself or waive the inspection.
    See above. Don't get weird about it. Sounds like the buyer is exercising his rights under the contract and maybe your expectations are different but don't stem from reading the contract? (Obviously Steve didn't either, so maybe blah blah blah)

If he's put down earnest money check and see if any of that can be held by the escrow service in case of damage.

In 30 years of practice I've never seen a property damaged during an inspection by either a pro or someone's contractor pal, or a self-inspection. Odds are in your favor. Is the buyer represented by an agent? If so (at least in Washington) the agent has to be there for the inspection so there's that.

Buyers buy subject to inspection by person of their choice. Any inspector or buyer can be wrong, make shit up, be an asshole around n inspection. Not a thing you can do about that. What's important is how you respond.

If you had multiple offers this buyer would be an idiot to come back to you with requests for concessions. Did you get one of the other offers signed into a backup position? If not, do so and make sure buyer #1 knows it.

It's unlikely you can go after any earnest money if there's damage unless it is specifically stated in the contract. EM is specifically assigned to a specific purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.