Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    One big step forward. Congrats, OP

so, ummm... I refer providers (like inspectors) to my clients because I trust them to do the right thing no matter what. That's what gets me to refer them again and again, and I have been referring the same inspector and loan officer for well over 20 years.

They don't have to work with them, and sometimes don't but if those service providers I referred to my clients were fucking over my clients that would be pretty counterproductive to my long term business.

There are shitheads in this world for sure, but anyone who's in it for the long haul and has been for a while knows there's not much point to the short game, and those who play the short game can usually be seen from miles away.

Do they ever make a mistake? Sure. Do I? Sure. But it ain't often, and if it happens I and those I work with cop to it and make it right.

This broad brush with which some of you fuckers paint us has not been well thought out and is extremely short sighted.

Glad you made it work without getting fucked OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

^^^ This.

The guy who inspected our current house missed the cracked heat exchanger and the fact that the polarity was reversed on all the outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The guy who inspected our current house missed the cracked heat exchanger and the fact that the polarity was reversed on all the outlets.
    Not good. Were they referred by your agent?

Yep. The fact that the guy's business was Son-Rise [sic] Maintenance should have been a clue. Never pay a Christian to do your house inspection.

Yep. The fact that the guy's business was Son-Rise [sic] Maintenance should have been a clue. Never pay a Christian to do your house inspection.
    I recall we had some reverse polarity outlets. I think I fixed em all. This guy may or may not have checked. Wasn't on his list. My realtor called him "old school". You know, diy guy, pays in cash to not take on debt..etc.

Technically he has til Monday 5pm to back out, but we gave him what he asked for and ended up nearly 20k over asking.

Still not super excited about the move back east, but I've landed what I believe to be a great gig in NJ. We don't have a house there yet, but mostly waiting on the bank yo respond to a cash offer on a foreclosure we been wanting. I hate banks when it comes to real estate sales that they own...super slow unless of course you're at full asking. That's not happening on a house I currently couldn't even get a C/O on...I am sticking with "it'll all work out" for now.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

So your agent was a fundamentalist too? Who else would refer that guy? When y'all are kvetching about how bad people in the industry suck you need to mention shit like this!

Seems like a conflict of interest if he's doing his own inspection. Then again, if it's cash, maybe not so bad.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Seems like a conflict of interest if he's doing his own inspection. Then again, if it's cash, maybe not so bad.
    It's going to either be his home or a rental. He owns other properties he rents. The story is he hasn't decided if he will live here or rent it out. It's probably $2200/month as a rental. Super quiet neighborhood, close to both LCC and BCC. Elementary school direclty behind the house. High school just about a 1/2mile away. Mormonish neighborhood, but I would put it 60% 40% in favor Mormons. My direct neighbors on both sides and across street are not Mormon. Lots of kids in hood ranging from infant to 10 or 11.

This is the house I've lived in the longest outside my parents as a kid. Both my kids were born and came home to this house. It treated is well and never cost us too much. Did some improvements over the years. Got our ROI. I am actually much more emotional about it than I thought I would be. Lots of great memories here. Bittersweet for sure. I'll adjust to my new life, but it will surely be an adjustment.

Thanks for all responses.

Parties to RE transactions are not subject to any conflict rules, and I don't see how it would be a conflict if they were.

Not sure how it is any conflict. More possibly along the lines of the lawyer representing himself (has a fool for a client). If the guy is in the business and does his own work on properties, then he could be able to handle the determination of condition.

how can it be a conflict of interest for a buyer to do his own inspection? Conflict of interest is (in non legal terms) what Rootskier was talking about, where the inspector's duty (to inspect the home carefully for the person who hired him, the buyer) is in conflict with the inspector's desire to make the sale go smooth so they get more referrals. Where is the conflict if a buyer is inspecting the property themselves? What is in conflict with what?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I think there's an impression that an inspection should be neutral but people should remember who's paying for it. The inspector works for the buyer. So if the buyer wants to save some money and do it himself it's fine. Either the guy knows what he's looking at and he's smart for saving the money or he doesn't and he's dumb for trying to save money there. But there's no conflict.

^^This. Nothing neutral about a home inspection. Which is why you do your own and not the one the seller has done before listing.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    ^^This. Nothing neutral about a home inspection. Which is why you do your own and not the one the seller has done before listing.
    You pay for inspections before selling? Not me...

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    You pay for inspections before selling? Not me...
    Common practice here for sellers to have an inspection and sometimes sewer scope done prior to listing and make it available to prospective buyers, sometimes for a fee. I feel like it exposes the seller to too much risk down the road so don't do it but have had buyers utilize them at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Will there be a thread for the closing?
    Doubtful I'll sign my papers a few days before since we are leaving.

Could the buyer "find" something wrong that isn't and use it as an excuse to renege?
    Smells like trouble unless he's a building professional.
    In CA, you have 10 days to get out of escrow for any damn reason at all, including, no reason at all. We did all our inspections during this period, and asked the seller for cash back to cover required repairs. We then negotiated an amount and stayed in escrow. If we were not happy with the cash back amount, we could have walked. But it was tied to the escrow period and not the result of the inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    In CA, you have 10 days to get out of escrow for any damn reason at all, including, no reason at all. We did all our inspections during this period, and asked the seller for cash back to cover required repairs. We then negotiated an amount and stayed in escrow. If we were not happy with the cash back amount, we could have walked. But it was tied to the escrow period and not the result of the inspection.
    Same here..you can walk because you didn't like the way a particular leaf blew in the breeze on Tuesday afternoon when it was 75 and party cloudy. We gave them 10 days. Ends today at 5pm. They could still back out, but after 5pm they lose 5k.

Is that part of the inspection contingency or an over-arching law? Here, you can certainly do that while still in the inspection window but not after all contingencies are signed off.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Is that part of the inspection contingency or an over-arching law? Here, you can certainly do that while still in the inspection window but not after all contingencies are signed off.
    Part of the contract is the earnest money being non refundable after 10 days. If we were still in negotiations over inspections we could extend that date. Buyer or I can walk, penalty free, after inspection/concessions talks, before 10 day period. I can't walk until I've negotiated inspection items, least not without potential penalty (up to $5k in this case).

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Will there be a thread for the closing?
    If you were a dog breed, you would be a Duck-Troller

Quoted From the Wikipedia page:

‘’They tend to get along well with other dogs; however, they have a strong prey drive and may chase after cats or other small animals.’’