Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Become a snow tubing fanatic?

Yeti: shitloads of jobs here in Big Sky. Easy to make $20/HR right off the bat. Cost of housing is expensive, but with you & your wife both working you could make a nice life. Plus the skiing is really good.

I know where you are at. I grew up in Northern WI not far from you. No way could I live back there. No money, jobs pay shit.

Throw in the towel on UP life and move back west where you belong.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Yeah move. Make it a priority.

Baker is too far for daily skiing if youre working unless you're a little bit of a super human (I know I guy that goes and skips AM and then works nightline starting around 2) but we are paid really well here... and those are the shitty shifts. Wouldnt take long to get one if you wanted to do it some days.

Or somewhere else.. really. Get out of there. It's not worth it. A lot of mountain towns have buses and hire seasonal people and they help with housing.

Lots of options. People would help.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I'm afraid that it may be the case. How's this for irony; Ogden spends decades trying to clean up and rebrand itself, has a decent amount of success, and then hires a consultant to "rebrand" the city. Here's what he came up with and what the city adopted as the new tagline:
    Attachment 240168

Untamed was 1992, the first time I walked into Angelo's on 25th street. I was underage, but rumor was they didn't care (they didn't). I figured I had a 50/50 chance at getting stabbed that night, and actually witnessed a stabbing. I was fresh off the bus from NC and kids cruising the 'vard constantly hassled me for fist fights. A crackhead tried to crawl in my basement apartment window when I lived at 26th and Madison and it was always a bit sketchy leaving in the wee hours of the morning for my job at Pow Mow.

Now grandmas visit 25th st with the grandkids to get their faces painted at the street festivals and farmers markets and hipsters take the train up from SLC for dinner, drinks and music. It's not all bad, restaurant choices are way better and property values are up, and there are lots of like minded people in town now. But those like minded people like skiing and biking and climbing, and sometimes it makes me nostalgic for the grittier days when the trails were empty.
    [quote][//quote]

Yo Yeti, keep your head up. I ain't gonna give you the "move now" sermon as I know that the anchors of life can be increasingly tough to drag around. That said, you are always welcome around these parts. I'm pretty should I know what you are looking for. Decent skiing, hockey, plenty of quiet, an economic situation that doesn't require 60hrs a week a stress to pay the bills. If you need some ideas, let me know.

Thanks...couple rough days here. I’m moving forward.
    I’m sure we can get out of here in a few years.

Sounds the the ski hill is bending under pressure to at least have some normal daylight hours. I bought a pass so I can hike it if I have to.

Glad to hear on all fronts sir. If needed you have an enthusiastic full throat-ed job reference whenever you need it.

You were one of the most responsible, enthusiastic, & engaged people I ever worked with. ( I know, free pass, 600" of snow with the time to get it and free breakfast helped)
    You need anything, shout

Electric brush cutter and pruning shears.
    Google map some possible pokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Glad to hear on all fronts sir. If needed you have an enthusiastic full throat-ed job reference whenever you need it.

You were one of the most responsible, enthusiastic, & engaged people I ever worked with. ( I know, free pass, 600" of snow with the time to get it and free breakfast helped)
    You need anything, shout
    He's not applying to be a fluffer, last I knew. Not sure if full throated is required.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    ]
    Sounds the ski hill is bending under pressure to at least have some normal daylight hours. I bought a pass so I can hike it if I have to.
    Well this sounds (a little) promising.

Sounds the the ski hill is bending under pressure to at least have some normal daylight hours. I bought a pass so I can hike it if I have to.
    I'm down for a Boho trip this season if you dont mind a TGR FNG following you around.

Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    Electric brush cutter and pruning shears.
    Google map some possible pokes.
    Just don't be like those guys who cut Jailbird Chute on Big Jay.

There's truth in twins advice though.

My sad story about that. I have some stuff near my house that doesn't go every year. It would go a lot more often if i cut and moved some dead and already down trees. Long story short I tried to get permission and got a run around. All because I didn't want people to freak when I went up there with the Stihl. It's land that is open to the public for specific uses but run by two different associations. So I gave up. Sad really. I should have just done it.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post

My sad story about that. I have some stuff near my house that doesn't go every year. It would go a lot more often if i cut and moved some dead and already down trees. Long story short I tried to get permission and got a run around. All because I didn't want people to freak when I went up there with the Stihl. It's land that is open to the public for specific uses but run by two different associations. So I gave up. Sad really. I should have just done it.
    Have you met SWIM? He sounds like he's pretty good with the Stihl and I bet he knows where the runs are

We need to please Ullr so that you may be blessed with a bountiful year on time that works for you. And grab an inner tube.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I’m kinda getting ready to do some cutting around the local hill. Frustratingly, instead of having a talk with me about brush disposal and some specifics of the actual work, I’m being referred to some other volunteers who have no forestry background or equipment and aren’t at the hill on a day to day basis.

So I can go thinning and brushing and open stuff up, but can I also build piles and burn this fall? I don’t know. Can I get it done working 6 days a week? Not sure. Can I use the ski areas pickup trucks to move brush piles? Don’t know. Can I bring my own rig up there? Unsure.

I’m trying though. The big thing is just that life, overall, feels like a riding a heavy bike with a dragging brake. It goes but it’s just so much harder than it feels like it should be. Like one of those days when every task you have to do turns out to have extra layers and it doesn’t quite line up and work out and it all bogs down...that’s just my normal. I’m not trying to say it’s not my fault either. It’s just that my best is so inadequate and I’m at my best so rarely.

I have to go to work now, it makes me feel ill to my stomach almost. Say a little prayer for me. I’ll get it together I’m sure. I always do eventually.

Some good thoughts here:

Finding Light in the Darkness
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I’m kinda getting ready to do some cutting around the local hill. Frustratingly, instead of having a talk with me about brush disposal and some specifics of the actual work, I’m being referred to some other volunteers who have no forestry background or equipment and aren’t at the hill on a day to day basis.

So I can go thinning and brushing and open stuff up, but can I also build piles and burn this fall? I don’t know. Can I get it done working 6 days a week? Not sure. Can I use the ski areas pickup trucks to move brush piles? Don’t know. Can I bring my own rig up there? Unsure.

I’m trying though. The big thing is just that life, overall, feels like a riding a heavy bike with a dragging brake. It goes but it’s just so much harder than it feels like it should be. Like one of those days when every task you have to do turns out to have extra layers and it doesn’t quite line up and work out and it all bogs down...that’s just my normal. I’m not trying to say it’s not my fault either. It’s just that my best is so inadequate and I’m at my best so rarely.

I have to go to work now, it makes me feel ill to my stomach almost. Say a little prayer for me. I’ll get it together I’m sure. I always do eventually.
    +++Vibes man++++

I don't pray, but I can give you my equivalent above.

Get out on the longboard? I hear ya about projects. And at least your ski hill people are at least interested. Although it sounds similar to my story. Don't give up. I did and I put on 50 lbs. Don't be me.

Get out on the longboard?
    Seems like I’ve lost that for awhile. Probably can’t post about it here.
    Have to let some things blow over for awhile.

The big thing is just that life, overall, feels like a riding a heavy bike with a dragging brake. It goes but it’s just so much harder than it feels like it should be. Like one of those days when every task you have to do turns out to have extra layers and it doesn’t quite line up and work out and it all bogs down...that’s just my normal.
    Sounds like mountain biking in the snow so maybe that's not gonna work for IAS, KQ. Too similar to real life.

Seriously: sorry to hear man. Hope you get through this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Seriously: sorry to hear man. Hope you get through this soon.
    x2. IAS is a good man who deserves better.

IAS, I usually never post in a self help thread, but I thought this might be the first, hopefully last, and best way to do it.

Tonight marks a milestone in my life, a day I will never forget ever. Ever. I can't tell you why, or what it is, but I can tell you that sucking it up and living for a couple more years is absolutely worth it.

Take that with a full huge pot of whatever you like the best. Grains get you nowhere, consume the whole enchilada and ride that thrashing.

Because, and it's not other people, it's you. You got this. It just takes time. Do it. Find a way to just string together days. Soon enough, years even, like me, you'll be glad. One night at a time, even if your sleep is fucked. One night at a time.

-J

This was a Good call : as a customer, You have a ( 'voice' ) - even if you ski the Kee…

This time of year is sh*t on '(da) U.p.' - I call it pre-Winter... : it is Dark, it is ( Not-warm ), it is Dark.

Montana in March -- the tricky part would be getting you back to the eastbound train...

rough days : breathe DEEP : remember Utah. Tell Yourself : You Will Go again. keep working. . .

I Am Glad You bought a pass. Good luck with the brushing --

hey --
    Start squirreling a little money away for your move :

Five a week ; You can Do something If you have 1500.

Dream ON ! !!! my brother... tj
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

A guy hit me with his recumbent electric motor-trike, slow speed, he gently tipped over. He was wearing a motocross helmet with goggles. It was an accident, I was standing in the path and he tried to ride around me and rode over my foot and up my shin and it tipped him over. I turned around and he was right there, I said hey, stop....and he just lurched forward into my foot and bloop...up my shin and he was tipping over. Tenths of a second. I thought, aw man...wtf, you gotta be kidding me.

I had just had a fairly mild argument with his group of 3, where I said they need to take the high speed electric mopeds somewhere else, they didn't want to hear it.

The woman of the group said "you're crazy" as she went to ride away. I think she was riding and turned around to see if the three-wheeler was making it ok, and saw him tipped over, or tipping over, and me standing there. She must have assumed I attacked this guy. She ran over screaming at me THAT'S ASSAULT! YOU'VE GOT A LAWSUIT COMING!
    she screamed for the other guy to come back. I don't remember his name. It was piercing, 11/10, bloody murder screaming. PHILLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE'S ATTACKING US!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PHILLLLLLLLLLLL COME BACKKKKKK!!!!!!

This is about 5 seconds in. I'm saying "no no, the guy ran into my leg". I'm looking at him to see about helping him up.

A car had stopped, it was an crossing of the bike path and a road. A woman trots over from the car. I suspect she saw the guy tipped over, and her first assessment is hearing the other woman screaming HE'S ATTACKING US. The car-woman says to the screaming woman "don't worry, I'm a witness" and to me "YOU GET AWAY FROM HIM"

I say "no no, he just hit my leg and tipped over"

GET AWAY FROM HIM.
    HE'S AN ELDERLY MANNN!!!!!!!!
    CAN'T YOU SEE THIS IS A SPECIAL BIKE!!!!!
    PHILLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!! GET BACK HERE!!!!!!!

This is no more than 15 or 20 seconds. My head is spinning. These people are screaming at me full-bore. I can't help this moto-helmet guy up, because they think I'm some crazy person attacking them. I didn't do anything wrong. I'm outta here. So I left, and I went home.

The whole thing was harrowing. I should have been confident enough to stay there and try to calm everyone down, but they were completely unhinged and screaming I had attacked this guy, I was picturing somebody else coming over there and pepper spraying me or worse. I hadn't done anything wrong.

I got home and went to work, and I asked my friend who was a deputy sheriff before we fought fire together what his take was...he was like "yeah, you don't have to stay somewhere if they hit you and start screaming at you...so you're not in the wrong for leaving". So I just figured I'd stay off the longboarding path so I'd not run into these people any more and things would blow over.

10 days later the sheriff's dept is looking for an "assault suspect who assaulted an elderly man and damaged his bike". Obviously that's me. So we put our entire savings into hiring a lawyer to help figure out what to do.
    He says we don't really know anything until we go talk to the police, but it sounds like they have multiple witnesses who all think you assaulted this guy, even though that's not what happened, it doesn't matter to the process. What matters is that they were scared of you, there was contact, and someone was injured (we don't know) and his property was damaged. That's all that matters. He says they could say the longboard was a weapon, and the guy was injured, and call it a 4 year felony.
    He told a story of a client who was on foot, had an argument with a car driver, the car driver hit the guy with the car, and the guy on foot was charged with assault on all 3 occupants of the car for being hit and thrown onto the hood of the car. He thought this was similar. He said they never drop a case with a victim who wants to press charges, and they charge the worst possible version to leverage plea deals. It makes sense, from a process point of view.

But I didn't assault this guy, he hit me with this bike and these people didn't really see that. I don't even think the motor-trike rider really saw how he tipped over, because he's in a fullface moto helmet and goggles in a laid-back recumbent position so he probably can't even see his front wheels.
    My very knowledgeable and trustworthy attorney says we go and tell them what really happened, but it may not matter because they're already all spun up looking for some predator who attacks old people on the bike path.

We're supposed to go talk to police on Tuesday.
    The best possible scenario is the police untangle all this and understand what happened and say this isn't a crime. Then I'm still out $3500 (we don't have, it's on a credit card) for a lawyer, and who knows what happens later with civil court once they know who I am and can come after me.....because remember, this woman must have thought for sure I tipped this guy over, and he probably doesn't even realize how it happened because he can't see his wheels so all he saw is me in front of him and then he's tipping over.

It's a waking nightmare. I have a clear conscience but almost no faith this process will treat me fairly.
    My wife is upset with me, this is our money and it's gone. It's our lifestyle and jobs and reputations and they're gone. She knows I didn't do anything wrong and, like the rest of this, it doesn't really matter in the end....because I'm on the wrong side of The Process. I can't really do my favorite recreation now. It's very dark, and I'm very sad.
    They may just railroad me into prison, or jail, or poverty, possibly both. If I'm on probation I probably can't move. Nobody is going to hire me as a "violent criminal."
    It's all coming apart fellas.

The american legal system is like the tar baby from brer rabbit. Once you touch it, it is almost impossible to get away from it. Good luck man, I hope it doesn’t cost all your money to clear your name.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82261B5F-F98C-45BE-AE3A-0A25A04B5846.jpeg 
Views:	116 
Size:	298.1 KB 
ID:	296521