Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    no if we remembered it the whole thing would be ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Speaking of which, where the hell is Woodsy, anyone heard from that guy recently?
    He's living the family life and doing well in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    He's living the family life and doing well in NYC.
    Word, knew he was in NYC and married, glad somebody has stayed in touch with him.

Now that Ogden is gentrified, it might make sense to conceive a new unit of measurement.

The Aspen. As Bryce Kellog once told us, seasons change.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    As long as Ogden isn't an Ogden, the whole thing is unruinable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Now that Ogden is gentrified, it might make sense to conceive a new unit of measurement.

Sacrilege. Fuck that.

I'm afraid that it may be the case. How's this for irony; Ogden spends decades trying to clean up and rebrand itself, has a decent amount of success, and then hires a consultant to "rebrand" the city. Here's what he came up with and what the city adopted as the new tagline:
    Attachment 240168
    That's hilarious.

Untamed was 1992, the first time I walked into Angelo's on 25th street. I was underage, but rumor was they didn't care (they didn't). I figured I had a 50/50 chance at getting stabbed that night, and actually witnessed a stabbing. I was fresh off the bus from NC and kids cruising the 'vard constantly hassled me for fist fights. A crackhead tried to crawl in my basement apartment window when I lived at 26th and Madison and it was always a bit sketchy leaving in the wee hours of the morning for my job at Pow Mow.

Now grandmas visit 25th st with the grandkids to get their faces painted at the street festivals and farmers markets and hipsters take the train up from SLC for dinner, drinks and music. It's not all bad, restaurant choices are way better and property values are up, and there are lots of like minded people in town now. But those like minded people like skiing and biking and climbing, and sometimes it makes me nostalgic for the grittier days when the trails were empty.
    It's all MD9's fault.

Yeah, that was an amazing post!

It’s not going to be the Aspen. If anything it serves as a monument to a nastier bygone Ogden...a classic Ogden wherein a man might enjoy the simple day to day adventure of maybe stepping on a dirty needle or tripping over a bumcorpse trying to get from the forest service parking lot to the office. Ahhh, them were the days.

I suppose. Ha
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Come for the poo-slinging, Save a fortune on a plumber.

Just dropping by to tell you I appreciate you, dude.

thx buddy.

I'm so glad you're still posting here, with the other handful of OGs keeping it correct.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    tripping over a bumcorpse trying to get from the forest service parking lot to the office. Ahhh, them were the days.
    Ah, sounds like a story with the bumcorpse. You wouldn't even recognize it, the forest service parking lot is now a 5 story apartment building. And next door is a cutesy little coffee shop.

I remember the first time we met, but I can't figure out whose house we were at? Frozen's?

Buzzworthy?

maybe at the tgr film premier in Salt Lake?
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 06-30-2018 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post

Change is for nickles. I seem to recall it being stated from the beginning that while Ogden may change The Ogden always scales such that the range (not the range, that's volume) from shithole to paradise is always the standard.

It disturbs me that I'm remembering this much about the Ogden scale. Probably wouldn't if I didn't remember so much of what I'd forgotten, but I guess the brain needs some form of exercise. Thanks Yetiman! I think.

It should never be forgotten that this all arose from wasatch helitack's Salt Lake crewmembers' keen observation of our supervisor's latent defensiveness about the bad reputation of Ogden. As we traveled, we'd discuss various places and their Ogden rating. We also wore the "Ogden is awesome" t-shirts with sweet sweet irony. It all bemused this guy to the point of ill mental health, thus giving us a sense of power and victory over our oppressor, as it were.

That is why it cannot be the Aspen, or anything else. The Ogden must evoke the wafting smell of dogfood factory and the cornucopia of various insults to the senses associated with Olde Ogden...the Ogden of yore if you will.

and I know you will. very much so indeed.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    whats goin on
    saw this yesterday the fact that i had caber boots and fritz reminds me of you

made me smile
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

It’s go-nogo time for buying a pass at the local mismanaged piece of shit ski hill.

I have to decide whether to save the $350 for gas money, try to completely redo my job/schedule, and ski once a week 4 hours away...
    It would be like 4 hours of skiing a week.

Or pay $350 for a ski area that’s announced they’re only going to open for night skiing and race training and other times I don’t want to be there....so I’m paying to hike a closed ski area like 5 runs a week.

The whole thing is all tied together with frustration of being stuck here, and yeah...we are stuck for awhile longer at least... where beaters run the skiing, by beaters for beaters....the few normal skiers here either have enough money and time to take lots of ski vacations and/or just throw themselves into the beater scene. Nobody is standing up and saying RUN THE SKI AREA LIKE A NORMAL SKI AREA....so I’m treated here like some kook. It makes me so angry and powerless. It all comes up this time of year when summer is closing and it gets dark and drizzling.

It’s been a really brutal, 6 year pathway at work to get free time to ski weekday mornings, now that effort is worthless with the ski area choosing to only operate busy evenings and weekends and race days. I could crush a charcoal brick into a diamond...and that anger turns to depression. Trying to keep it together but it’s super hard.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 09-18-2019 at 08:30 AM.

There are brighter days ahead maing.

Can you hike poach the ski area when it's closed without buying the pass, then do the 4hr commute on other days? So you get both? Or is it also a time off issue, which only allows one or the other? Just trying to think outside the box so you can sew together enough to get through this.

Or save the $350 entirely, skin up the closed ski area and get in better shape, working on making as many laps as you can by spring. And put the $350 to getting unstuck so you can GTFO sooner.

Fuck the fucking fuckers.

It’s a gamble.

If I ask, the answer is going to be “of course you need to buy a pass to hike”

If I wait and just go, they have a bunch of fencing and signage and whatever about trespassing....and by then the pass to this shitshow is going to be some unknown amount more expensive. They put up a bunch of those no trespassing signs right where I park to hike the hill when they close way too early in the spring.

Have you given thought to snowblading.

Sorry for the suckage for a good dood like you.
    Can you skin/hike near the hill?

Not really. Basically not enough natural snow or too much thicket...it’s kind of the same thing.

Edit: this doesn’t go on 100” of snow a year:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85F6B3A6-4CA0-4C23-AD2D-BBDA8ABE98C6.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	294461

Short of two tectonic plates colliding then uplifting in your area, I'm not seeing a solution here.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang