Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

drill bit for binding mounting

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180612_081634.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	866.4 KB 
ID:	238711

This will work, right?

Things were actually going fine trying to drill the second hole...and then suddenly things weren't going at all.

Maybe someone can critique my drilling technique? Do I need a better bit to get through the metal in the ski? Yes, I am aware the current bit will probably not get the job done at this point.
    [quote][//quote]

Probably?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    pm me an addy and ill send ya a fresh real ski tech 4.1x9er
    wintersteiger or svt?
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Dibs' offer should help, Dex. Right tool for the job.

Appreciate the offer--obviously you're right about what I should be using.

Fact is I do this once every few years (for new/good skis I always just have the shop do the mount), so I'll try to muddle through (again) with whatever shit the hardware store has. Probably not worth making you mail something...I'll try to remember to grab a real bit from the shop at the home hill this winter or something.
    [quote][//quote]

I always just use a 5/32 bit but the tape on the bit will slip and you will be filling a hole in the base SO drill thru a piece of wood ( a wine bottle cork is good) move the bit in the drill chuck to only leave as much bit showing as you need, if the bit slips all that happens is you don't drill far enough ... idiot proof
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I don't know, Dex. That's some seriously fucked up bit in your pic.
    Can't believe you're reluctant to take Dibs' offer.

I know! a perfect 90 degree bend!

I think the only way you could get a bend instead of snappage is cuz that is some kind of wood bit altho Its hard to tell with all that ductape but on close examination that looks like a wood bit or sft that is entirely wrong to be drilling into a ski top

before drilling with a REAL 5/32 the OP might wana center punch ( i use a drywall screw ) and drill a small pilot hole

Fuck yeah, punch before drilling. Duh.

My advice re bits: If you plan to mount more than a couple pairs of skis, get a couple proper dedicated ski mount shoulder bits -- and get an ABS tap too.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    My advice re bits: If you plan to mount more than a couple pairs of skis, get a couple proper dedicated ski mount shoulder bits -- and get an ABS tap too.
    This. Money saved in not using shops for mounts and the knowledge that your skis are mounted exactly how you want them is worth exponentially more than the cost of a real bit. I tap every ski, but only because the tap was free.

My first thought was that someone talented enough to bend a drill bit at right angles without breaking it was punking us.

If not, then definitely take sfb up on his generous offer, or (as Steve sez), add a dedicated ski drill bit and a 12AB tap to your inventory. They'll last a lifetime of home use. Maggot @Alpinord 'll set ya up (http://www.slidewright.com/alpine-sk...dle-wrench.php).

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

OP where are you at that there is such a hurry to mount these old skis? Where is the snow stash?

Wtf? Drill bits don’t bend 90’. They snap. Snapped plenty of tiny ones, never ever noticed one bend even a little. That drill bit is defective (not hardened) or we’re punked.

Unless you’re mounting several pairs a year, tape works fine. I use blue painters tape. Wrap it tight, don’t need too many wraps. Use it as a visual aid for when to stop drilling and not as an actual stop, and it will never slip. If you’re worried, re-measure after each hole. I’ve never gone too far with this method.
    Last edited by skizix; 06-13-2018 at 07:25 PM.

After some brief omphaloskepsis, I conclude we’re being punked. Try and bend a drill bit to 90 and see what happens.

If you really did bend a defective bit to 90, you should definitely hire out your mounts, and literally anything else that requires basic tools. Hell, you might want to hire someone to wipe your ass, so you don’t hurt yourself or start a fire or something.

I've seen small diameter bargain basement cheapass bits bend sorta like that

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    I've seen small diameter bargain basement cheapass bits bend sorta like that
    That would pretty much be a one-time-use bit, I think. Even the cheapest shit you could purchase at homeless depot would not behave like that (maybe shite from harbor freight might - total crap-shoot with that place but you can score some crazy deals if you’re savvy)

Years ago I had a Vermont American bit bend like that. Got it at Home Depot. Never bought that brand again. I agree that's a defect, but AFAICT that's how VA makes them. Junk. ETA: VA taps and dies (available at Home Depot) are even worse

I think its what is refered to a "brad point" drill bit which often come bundled as part of those really cheap sets of drills bits/ screwdriver bits, i just looked in my set and i have a 5/32

the normal drill bits are not bad but those look like shit, I wouldn't use it to mount ski bindings

Sheesh, you can get DeWalt bit sets, that will never let you down, for well under a buck a bit. How much cheaper do you really need to go?

P.S. Home Depot rule of thumb: don’t buy the cheapest of anything. Even if you’re really trying hard to minimize expenses, just go for the 2nd cheapest. Most of what they stock is decent quality or better. But they do sell some seriously crappy stuff too (presumably to compete with the wallmart tool section, if that exists), that is not worth the time it takes to purchase it.
    Last edited by skizix; 06-14-2018 at 11:45 PM.

Got mine at Canadian tire, you get a bunch of various bits, screwdriver bits yada yada, not sure how much but they were all for really fucking super cheap probably cheaper than just a set of drill bits and all in the dandy plastic see thru case they were trying to fill up that will break pretty quick

the other stuff was ok but those brad point look like shit and i will probably never use em

Up your ante just a little and this will never happen again

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    After some brief omphaloskepsis, I conclude we’re being punked. Try and bend a drill bit to 90 and see what happens.

If you really did bend a defective bit to 90, you should definitely hire out your mounts, and literally anything else that requires basic tools. Hell, you might want to hire someone to wipe your ass, so you don’t hurt yourself or start a fire or something.
    I’ve done it, I was using some bits a coworker bought off one of those traveling tools sales,basically Harbor Freight on wheels
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Ok, sorry for snark then (but this is TGR right?).

See my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I don't know, Dex. That's some seriously fucked up bit in your pic.
    Can't believe you're reluctant to take Dibs' offer.
    Got a new bit and the skis are mounted. I just didn't want to make him package the thing and go to the post office, especially when it may well be more than a year before I mount any more skis (if I have new/nice skis I go to the shop since I don't have any jigs and I don't fully trust myself except with old skis).
    [quote][//quote]