Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    When I was a medical student on pediatrics at the county hospital in Michigan in November they brought in a drowned 2 year old. After nearly an hour of CPR they pronounced her dead, removed the tubes and lines and the chief resident went to tell the parents. He couldn't. Instead, he want back into the resusc room where he found the child trying to breath. She went home, intact, 2 weeks later. Cold water drowning.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    ... I’m sure there is blame to be placed, but it doesn’t bring back the kid...
    There's likely not blame to be placed. Throwing stones on the web is however a rewarding behavior for some people. So you have people who specialize in that on the back of other peoples' tragedy.

Traditional PFDs suck to swim in, in large part because they’re design to put you on your back. For swimming get something purpose built. And even then, try not to use it when you’re actively swimming with them, or you’ll never get them out of the damn thing.

Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    There's likely not blame to be placed. Throwing stones on the web is however a rewarding behavior for some people. So you have people who specialize in that on the back of other people's tragedy.
    Maybe not... of course people are gonna armchair quarterback it, like, of course, here..
    I would hope that if anyone saw this happen they would jump in without hesitation and save this kid.

Having two kids myself, this makes me sick to think about. Again, my thoughts go out to Mr Miller and his family

We had two in lake superior last fall, one washed up right near my house...the other still hasn’t been located afaik. Buddy was out surfing and found a shoe and got all freaked out and called me from his truck worried about ghosts and leprocy and karma. Lol.
    Still better than sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    There's likely not blame to be placed..
    are you sure there weren't any gangbangers or abortionizers at the party?

Pretty sure it’s abortiorators.

and who can forget leftists uninformed on modern first aid and lacking tourniquets. i'm sure some of those folks were in the vicinity somehow. are you sure you can't finger somebody, ghast? or maybe you would have been the difference, if only they had heard of the ghastavior.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Traditional PFDs suck to swim in, in large part because they’re design to put you on your back. For swimming get something purpose built. And even then, try not to use it when you’re actively swimming with them, or you’ll never get them out of the damn thing.

Watched in-law's 4yo jump in 4' of water wearing just the arm wingies and get the scare of her life when she couldn't raise her head. Her dad saw too and pulled her right out.
    Have regarded the things as dangerous ever since.

Teach your kids to swim!

I didn’t suggest arm wingies.

I couldn’t imagine my childhood minus swimming.
    Water time is natural mirth.
    Yet, communing with nature necessarily involves getting close to forces that want to kill you. Not dying is part of the mirth

The American river in Sacramento has a lot of drownings. Water that is faster than it looks, steep slick river bed, and lots of poor immigrants who never learned to swim.

I was watching a documentary about drowning a while back--seems most people don't struggle, they just quietly go under without attracting any attention. I did senior lifesaving and WSI but never saved anyone. I did watch a guy in WSI class in college pass out trying to swim 100 yds underwater--he made 75 and some before he was pulled out.

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    When she was about two, one of my daughters took a step into deeper water right in front of my wife, mother and sister in law. Who were too busy chit-chatting to notice. I jumped in and grabbed her, she was just standing there, water over her head, looking up, completely helpless. I'll never forget that and how badly it could have ended.
    The same thing happened to me when I was four. Stepped off the last step, water over head, no idea what to do. We’d just moved to Hawaii and my dad had been interviewing. He saw me go under and dove in from the other side of the pool in his business suit.

Crazy thing is that he’d had a nightmare about me drowning the night before, and he was, perhaps more alert because of it.

I don’t bring a phone to the beach or a pool. You just can’t take your eyes off of kids. As a parent you also need military style communication - “heard, acknowledged, understood” - when you hand off watch duties.

I did watch a guy in WSI class in college pass out trying to swim 100 yds underwater--he made 75 and some before he was pulled out.
    That's dangerous shit, too, and people die from blacking out frequently. I won't go more than 25 yards underwater now. I definitely could do 75 yards underwater in high school and college. I don't think I ever made 100.

Bode Miller's daughter dies in pool accident

Drowning doesn't look like drowning:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...le_in_the.html

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    That's dangerous shit, too, and people die from blacking out frequently. I won't go more than 25 yards underwater now. I definitely could do 75 yards underwater in high school and college. I don't think I ever made 100.
    Almost did 100, long course. 50 pounds ago.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My heart goes out to the Millers. As a parent and a homeowner with an in ground pool, I'll join the choir that kids drowning is just a kid calmly looking up from the bottom of the pool, doing nothing. Plucked several kids out of my pool within seconds when they stepped off the last step and in over their heads. Hollywood fucking sucks for teaching us drowning is thrashing and screaming.

We started our kids out in those pfd's and was scolded by their swim teachers because they enforce bad swimming habits. Get your kids to swim lessons, teach them to kick off the bottom and follow the wall up. Watch them like hawks until they swim better than you.

As for whomever was making the comparison with the ski lift that broke, if you were in my pool and you were shocked due to faulty wiring on my pump, sure. That is not a hazard associated with the activity.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    There's a local program here in that vein. It works, but not cheap, $85/hr IIRC.
    Any more info on this? I’d be interested to put my youngest in something like that.

A few years ago I had my then 4 yo in group lessons. They had all the kids standing on a 4’x6’ platform in the pool. The teacher would take the kids out one at a time while the rest of the kids waited on the platform. My son was on the edge and stepped off one time. Sunk right to the bottom and calmly stood there drowning while I sprinted down the stairs from the top of the grandstands where I was watching. Probably 10 adults within 25’ of him (including his teacher) who didn’t notice a thing wrong until they heard me yelling. I about shit myself but it made me realize how quickly bad stuff can happen with kids and water.

The American river in Sacramento has a lot of drownings. Water that is faster than it looks, steep slick river bed, and lots of poor immigrants who never learned to swim.

I was watching a documentary about drowning a while back--seems most people don't struggle, they just quietly go under without attracting any attention. I did senior lifesaving and WSI but never saved anyone. I did watch a guy in WSI class in college pass out trying to swim 100 yds underwater--he made 75 and some before he was pulled out.

When I was 15 and a fish, I was wading in a thigh-deep river chasing a floating football when I stepped into deep hole got sucked under a log and pinned with my chin on the bottom. Just that fast. My life's peak panic.
    Then my medulla oblongata realized I had to stuff it or die, and I grabbed the log over my head and used it to rotate and pull my legs and hips out of the trough, and then work over to the edge of the hole.

The log didn't stick up or even ripple the surface, but the current under it scoured the river bottom clay into a gully and sped up the current. Fuck that football.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Any more info on this? I’d be interested to put my youngest in something like that.
    www.swimkidsutah.com

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I have done 100, it's all a question of where that 100 is within your own margins. But yes all breathholding swimming can be dangerous. That's part of the risk exposure issue that is nuanced, along with surfing, open water swims, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    When I was 15 and a fish, I was wading in a thigh-deep river chasing a floating football when I stepped into deep hole got sucked under a log and pinned with my chin on the bottom. Just that fast. My life's peak panic.
    Then my medulla oblongata realized I had to stuff it or die, and I grabbed the log over my head and used it to rotate and pull my legs and hips out of the trough, and then work over to the edge of the hole.

The log didn't stick up or even ripple the surface, but the current under it scoured the river bottom clay into a gully and sped up the current. Fuck that football.
    part of WW kayak training/teaching sez you never go past yer knees in moving water, if you get foot entrapment it will bend you over & under
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Before I was born, my parents lost their 9 month old son. He choked on a balloon (not inflated) at a birthday party. A silent death.

Preventable tragedy. None of my friends allowed balloons anywhere near their toddlers/babies.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    part of WW kayak training/teaching sez you never go past yer knees in moving water, if you get foot entrapment it will bend you over & under

Never had that training...maybe should...

Reading all this I wonder how I survived my twins. Holy hell was it stressful.

Here’s to stress free living from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums