Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Bode Miller's daughter dies in pool accident

Quote Originally Posted by yogachik View Post
    Before I was born, my parents lost their 9 month old son. He choked on a balloon (not inflated) at a birthday party. A silent death.

Preventable tragedy. None of my friends allowed balloons anywhere near their toddlers/babies.
    I’m so sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Just bought this to help keep my 3 year old safe. https://www.amazon.com/Patio-Guardia...9kL&ref=plSrch

Probably wouldn't of even thought of it without this tragedy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That's good to hear. I think there well might be people who will put up fences or make sure their own kids aren't in danger as a result of this.

Maybe the Millers at some point in the future will do something like the family of Kelly Brush did, but either way I think it is possible that this unimaginable loss may have already helped save some other lives:

https://kellybrushfoundation.org/
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Was this prior to the zombie generation of smart phone addiction?

Lot of physically present mentally oblivious parenting these days.

Yup

Sent from my XP7700 using TGR Forums mobile app

^^ I don’t know. Thinking back to my own parents, they weren’t any better. They allowed us to ride in the back of pickup trucks. My Dad would take us with him on long Sunday drives and smoke cigars with the windows rolled up. And of course, no one was wearing seatbelts.

I remember they had me walk to school on my own the first day of kindergarten. I remember it because things didn’t go well, although I can’t recall the details now. I didn’t die, at least, but I can’t imagine parents doing that these days. But back in those days kids weren’t getting abducted as often, or at least you didn’t hear much about it.

As far as swimming is concerned, I don’t recall anyone even having pools back then, but I do recall swimming in creeks unsupervised.

Most of us over 40 should have died many deaths growing up. It was a different world.

My parents really did not ski. So when I was as young as 10, I would traverse back and forth between resorts in Farrellones by myself, oblivious to conditions. Storms, avalanche. Whatever, if I got lost I’d just follow a gulley down to the rd and grab a ride.

I think of my kids at at 10 and I think my parents were nuts.

so true. my mom used to joke that she knew people in the emergency room on a first name basis.we were falling out of trees, skateboarding accidents, football concussions, on and on. My parents weren't irresponsible, they just let us be kids. Getting pummeled in shore break waves was fun as a kid. I remember being on vacation in so cal and getting whooped at The Wedge in Newport with my cousins. I came back with bloody knees and my uncle was laughing , I was 10. he was an iron worker and tough as nails.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    But back in those days kids weren’t getting abducted as often, or at least you didn’t hear much about it.
    Yes, you just didn't hear about it but it happened all the time and probably just as often if not more because there wasn't as much connectivity/surveillance (phones, ccTV, security guards etc) and people were more polite - less likely to question someone with a screaming child chalking it up to the child just misbehaving.

Quote Originally Posted by yogachik View Post
    Before I was born, my parents lost their 9 month old son. He choked on a balloon (not inflated) at a birthday party. A silent death.

Preventable tragedy. None of my friends allowed balloons anywhere near their toddlers/babies.
    Family friend backed over his kid.

Heard about the balloon thing many times. I remember vividly a news story about a man whose son had inhaled a balloon and was basically in a brain dead coma. He went to the hospital with a gun. Pulled his son off life support and held him until he died. The gun was to keep the staff from stopping him. Still makes me choke up just thinking about the pain (and love) that man felt.

Seen today on Donner Lake--water temp 59F, small craft warning (paddling a rec kayak downwind I had to work to keep from broaching): 4 kids ages 3-6 or so in two sit-in kayaks and a toy float, 200 ft from shore, parents talking to each other on the beach with obstructed view of the water and not watching the kids. Kids wearing Type III oversized PFD's. I hung around until they were back to shore.

As a resident I saw an 18 month old boy whose father backed over him in his Mercedes. Kid had tire marks across his abdomen. The only problem the kid ended up having was an infection of his IV site. It helps to be lucky.

Speaking of balloons and backing over things, when I was a kid the neighbor lady backed over the toy poodle from across the street. That thing popped like a balloon full of blood..

I almost ran over a toddler once.

I was driving on N 130th Street by Bitter Lake in Seattle (a very busy road). At the time it was a 4 lane road with a posted speed limit of 30mph (where this happened has since been changed to a one lane with a traffic revision). I was in the outside west bound lane when a toddler came running from the south crossing all four lanes. He was running the way toddlers do - they get upright and just go. It's like they have to run to keep from falling on their face.

Anyhoo.. he had made it across all four lanes and did an about face to run back. I was mortified. He was about to run in front of my car which was okay because I had stopped but there was a car coming up along side me at 30+mph in the inside lane who would not be able to see him until he cleared my vehicle and then it would be too late. I started honking and screaming and waving my arms and thankfully the woman slowed down in time to see him. Before he could continue his trek the grandfather came running up yelling "I told her to watch that kid!"

Ugh.

This is the crossing today - the hashed off section. The kid came off of N. Park Street (you can see the N. P. in the bottom of the pic). Don't know where he lived but I think he ran quite a ways.

Name:  Bitterlake.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  149.5 KB

I had my kids run out of my apartment when I was in the bathroom for 5 minutes because I forgot to use the safety lock on my front door as I brought groceries in an hour earlier. Super scary.

My sisters best friend had a daughter whose nanny took her to the park and she ended up getting her jump rope caught up in the play ground equipment. Basically hung herself. She lived. But is basically a vegetable. Fucking terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardMech View Post
    I had my kids run out of my apartment when I was in the bathroom for 5 minutes because I forgot to use the safety lock on my front door as I brought groceries in an hour earlier. Super scary.
    I think I would have been damaged for life if I'd hit him or even saw another car hit him. I remember looking over at the woman in the car next to me when she came to a stop. Her mouth was open and her hand was at her throat with a look of terror on her face.

Wow. This happened in 1982 and I still remember it vividly.

I’m going to hug my kids right now. Awful, awful stuff.

my condolences to the Millers and anyone who has lost a child...

I cannot imagine - and I can only imagine...

from a different era, my grandfather outlived four of his five offspring, two who died in infancy ( the 1910s were,,, not a medical era. ) ;
    it was the thing that ,,, my father felt (greatly) for his father...
    Dad was thirty-two when his brother died.

and I think of a quote about parenthood...
    ' Do all you can for your kids : Life does the rest. '

and then I remember Coombs' interview : " There is always Bad luck … "

anyway. My condolences... especially for the loss of a child...

Bode , Morgan... I am Sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Yes, you just didn't hear about it but it happened all the time and probably just as often if not more because there wasn't as much connectivity/surveillance (phones, ccTV, security guards etc) and people were more polite - less likely to question someone with a screaming child chalking it up to the child just misbehaving.
    I think there is a urge for people to think that "things" are always getting worse.

I get a text message with a vehicle description and sometimes a license plate when a child is kidnapped today.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Anesthesiologist here was at the beach with his family last week. Turned his back on their three year for less than a minute and he ended up in a pool. Only takes a second.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Just spent the week in So Cal, much of it poolside with the kiddos and the Miller tragedy was never far from my thoughts.