Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    This sucks. Not judging as this can happen to anyone and it happens fast.

I’m ok being the dorky dad who put his kids in life jackets at pool parties when they were little, even though they could technically swim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is why many beaches don't allow snorkels. a prone body floating face down is not a good idea. Masks , no problem.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...le_in_the.html

The new captain jumped from the deck, fully dressed, and sprinted through the water. A former lifeguard, he kept his eyes on his victim as he headed straight for the couple swimming between their anchored sportfisher and the beach. “I think he thinks you’re drowning,” the husband said to his wife. They had been splashing each other and she had screamed but now they were just standing, neck-deep on the sand bar. “We’re fine; what is he doing?” she asked, a little annoyed. “We’re fine!” the husband yelled, waving him off, but his captain kept swimming hard. ”Move!” he barked as he sprinted between the stunned owners. Directly behind them, not 10 feet away, their 9-year-old daughter was drowning. Safely above the surface in the arms of the captain, she burst into tears, “Daddy!”

How did this captain know—from 50 feet away—what the father couldn’t recognize from just 10? Drowning is not the violent, splashing call for help that most people expect. The captain was trained to recognize drowning by experts and years of experience. The father, on the other hand, had learned what drowning looks like by watching television. If you spend time on or near the water (hint: that’s all of us) then you should make sure that you and your crew know what to look for whenever people enter the water. Until she cried a tearful, “Daddy,” she hadn’t made a sound. As a former Coast Guard rescue swimmer, I wasn’t surprised at all by this story. Drowning is almost always a deceptively quiet event. The waving, splashing, and yelling that dramatic conditioning (television) prepares us to look for is rarely seen in real life.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Bunch of fucking assholes around here.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...le_in_the.html
    So fucking sad. No words can describe the pain, even being a parent...

But this ^ is what had me worried with our son around water at a young age. I was literally glued to his side until he was a competent swimmer. Then things got really anxious for us when he started boat racing at age 10. At age 16 he had his first real crash. A boat goes into the first turn too straight and caused a 4 boat collision. 3 boats dead in the water, his was the only one right side up. It took almost 8 minutes to get word from the rescue boat that he was OK. You can hear him yell "are you OK?", just at the end, to his friend in the water.

It's a super crappy video. The first 3 minutes of the race are milling for the start. They line up about 2:40 for the run to the first turn. The view you see in the video is almost exactly what you see in the first turn, nothing but water, then it happens so fast.

Deepest condolences to the Miller family.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    preventable tragedy not unlucky
    Why is that an either or? Many deaths are the result of terrible bad luck, but also could have been prevented. Every day, people get in car accidents and people die, and while they may be accidents, they are also things that could have been prevented if the driver was going a little slower, paid a little better attention, etc. I'd still say they were unlucky, even if the accident could have been prevented.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    You should get better at reading--I specifically said I wasn't blaming anyone as I don't know what happened. And I didn't blame anyone.
    True. You also specifically said that there is someone to blame. So it is obvious that you would blame someone if you only knew who was the right person to blame. Saying "one of you there is to blame but I don't know which one" is not nearly the same thing as saying "I'm not blaming anybody."

Could someone have prevented this tragedy? I'm guessing so, but that's pretty much always the case. Did anyone intend for this to happen? Do we have evidence of gross negligence on anyone's parts? No and no. As a parent, as a person, I know that the difference between "nothing" and "horrible tragic accident" is often razor thin; as yet, I'm lucky enough to be on the good side of that line. I won't be casting any stones from my glass house. I suggest that some of you consider doing the same.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Bunch of fucking assholes around here.
    Yes. Seems like it’s a competition around here the last 6 months or so.

What a tragedy. As a parent I couldn’t even fathom their pain right now and their life path will be changed forever.

Bode Miller's daughter dies in pool accident

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    Lawyers who sue in that type of instance bring the whole system down. Same as suing ski areas. Currently, depending on the state, it's legal and ethical for them to do it, because there can be legit money there for the client. Take away the incentive, make it something they can't do.

As far as host liability, yes, so long as the pool meets code, give hosts liability exactly like governmental immunity for injuries associated with their pool, trampoline, basketball hoop, or toilet or buckets in the garage or kiddie pool or dog water bowl. AKA that's why schools can still have field trips.

Currently, put anything fun in your backyard and, depending on the state you're in, you have to be real selective about who if anyone you let use it. There are real costs to that. Drowning-wise, more kids for instance drown in open water than in pools. Think fewer people would drown in the local city fishing hole that's in virtually every ski town if access to pools and regular swimming were more common?
    I had a chairlift detach from the cable and fall from 20’ while I was riding it. Engineering report said the cause was modified tower guards. Should I have been able to sue them? I did and still got royally fucked (didn’t even cover the medical bills).

If so, how would the law determine when a pool homeowner, ski resort, etc can be sued?

Heard a first hand account of this this morning by the brother of the friend who tried to administer CPR. Absolute and total nightmare, beyond comprehension as a parent.

Anyone passing judgement in this thread (especially those who haven't raised kids) are out of their fucking minds.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

She claimed she thought he was lost and was taking him to a lifeguard but she had already passed a lifeguard with him in tow.
    And so began the story of "The Maul"
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Wow...didn’t this also happen to Bill Johnson’s kid?

No running in the pool area !!! is an old joke, when kids are running around anywhere. The toughest part of rescuing someone that's flailing and potentially drowning is getting them into a CROSS CHEST CARRY. as you approach them,just know that they're freaked out and you represent a buoy to hold on to.we're taught to not let them grab you around the neck because they're not gonna let go and will take you both down. getting them to calm down , spin around and let you float them and swim with one arm isn't always easy. I wish more people knew cpr, first aid and had some lifeguard training, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Wow...didn’t this also happen to Bill Johnson’s kid?
    yup, 1 year old. also, Tommy Lee from Mötley Crüe, too. not his kid, but it was his kid's birthday party

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment...=104097&page=1

Damn. Let’s hope bode can hold it together.

So brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    No running in the pool area !!! is an old joke, when kids are running around anywhere. The toughest part of rescuing someone that's flailing and potentially drowning is getting them into a CROSS CHEST CARRY. as you approach them,just know that they're freaked out and you represent a buoy to hold on to.we're taught to not let them grab you around the neck because they're not gonna let go and will take you both down. getting them to calm down , spin around and let you float them and swim with one arm isn't always easy. I wish more people knew cpr, first aid and had some lifeguard training, just in case.
    Give them an arm at full reach, then use that to spin them into a control crosschest sidestroke dealio.

I have made ppl nervous with my nature swims with the snorkel. Coast guard gets called sometimes. I like to think those guys probably like to get the boat out and go haul ass somewhere....so I don’t feel too bad about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    G
    I have made ppl nervous with my nature swims with the snorkel. Coast guard gets called sometimes. I like to think those guys probably like to get the boat out and go haul ass somewhere....so I don’t feel too bad about it.
    with fins and a spear gun, jonny quest style

As someone who has lost a daughter of our own this is absolutely, terribly heartbreaking. I saw the news last night via his Instagram and can't shake it.
    NOTHING else should be said about the what if this, what if that, who to blame. It happened and now there is a void SO incredibly huge, its unbearable.
    I hope that as time moves on they can find peace and comfort. Just awful.
    you sketchy character, you

Quote Originally Posted by altachic View Post
    As someone who has lost a daughter of our own this is absolutely, terribly heartbreaking. I saw the news last night via his Instagram and can't shake it.
    NOTHING else should be said about the what if this, what if that, who to blame. It happened and now there is a void SO incredibly huge, its unbearable.
    I hope that as time moves on they can find peace and comfort. Just awful.
    i'm sorry to hear that, altachic.

Just bought this to help keep my 3 year old safe. https://www.amazon.com/Patio-Guardia...9kL&ref=plSrch

Probably wouldn't of even thought of it without this tragedy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    My wife was telling me that apparently there are some intense two week courses you can put your toddlers into that teach them how to swim for real. Kind of a one on one instruction full time course. She said they're expensive, but could be worth it. Anybody know anything about those?
    There's a local program here in that vein. It works, but not cheap, $85/hr IIRC.

I’ve spent hours duck diving in surf looking for missing swimmers. It’s scary searching around in murky water for a dead body. In fact, in Maui last yr a Korean tourist died in 5 feet of water right in front of me. The only reason I didn’t find him first was because I stopped to jump of the cliff at black rock.

Water is very dangerous for some. Especially Kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Just bought this to help keep my 3 year old safe. https://www.amazon.com/Patio-Guardia...9kL&ref=plSrch

Probably wouldn't of even thought of it without this tragedy.

even 2.5 deep, I'd score a pfd for $25 bucks. My buddy has one for his dog for the boat, just in case.

Yea she has one. Just concerned about her heading out back while I'm cutting the grass or her mom cooking dinner or something. She likes to just run outside.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Oh really. You are out of line to blame the parents as your first thought. Period. EVERY parent protects their kids and sometimes shit happens. But if blame instead of the facts of life help you sleep at night carry on. Post your ignorant thoughts here and take the flack.

Last month at a family picnic a relative of a friend gave their 8 month old baby to someone to hold. A branch fell from a tree that they were sitting under and killed the baby. Who's fault?
    Holy shit, this is crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I’ve spent hours duck diving in surf looking for missing swimmers. It’s scary searching around in murky water for a dead body. In fact, in Maui last yr a Korean tourist died in 5 feet of water right in front of me. The only reason I didn’t find him first was because I stopped to jump of the cliff at black rock.

Water is very dangerous for some. Especially Kids.

Growing up on an island, we did similar things. Saving tourists from rip currents, and helping people that just got their ass handed to them from the waves. It’s weird how some people just sink like stones.

Regardless, my heart aches for Bode and his family. Horrible situation. I’m sure there is blame to be placed, but it doesn’t bring back the kid. It could’ve happened to any one of us. Sad to read this story.

No parent has ever lived who did not lose sight of a kid, no matter how responsible and careful the parent is. That's why stuff like fenced off pools with childproof latches and alarms is important.
    (My wife took our young kids to the park in a double stroller which rolled into the duck pond when she turned her back for a moment. They never went under. That pond has a fence now.)

"It's an unbelievable statistic: According to the CDC, drowning is the number one cause of unintentional death for children between the ages of 1 and 4. And according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, 390 deaths a year on average are attributed to drowning in a swimming pool or at a spa.

Here are some other statistics about swimming pool accidents and drowning deaths among children:

76 percent of drowning deaths in the United States each year involved children younger than 5 years old.
    67 percent of swimming pool drowning deaths involved children younger than 3 years old.
    In Pennsylvania alone, four children died from drowning in a swimming pool in 2014.
    A whopping 75 percent of drowning deaths of children younger than 15 occurred at a swimming pool located at a private residence (home pool, neighbor's pool).
    17 percent of swimming pool-related drowning deaths among children younger than 15 happened in an above-ground pool.
    9 percent of those pediatric drowning deaths occurred in portable pools."
    https://www.edgarsnyder.com/swimming...tatistics.html (It should be no surprise that that came from a lawyer's web site.)

When I was a medical student on pediatrics at the county hospital in Michigan in November they brought in a drowned 2 year old. After nearly an hour of CPR they pronounced her dead, removed the tubes and lines and the chief resident went to tell the parents. He couldn't. Instead, he want back into the resusc room where he found the child trying to breath. She went home, intact, 2 weeks later. Cold water drowning.