Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    You moved to Jackson?
    I moved there originally, moved in with Mrs SnapT in the hotel room she was renting. Come summer we moved over here into a shitty condo rather than bunk with 8 other people. Thankfully we’ve worked our way up from there. Wish we were closer to the tram, even the ghee is a haul from where we’re at, but it has its benefits for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I don't know about the rich family moving to town shit

I will give you the veneer, sure i'll be nice to you, genuinely nice to you, but honestly I don't give shit that you just moved here I don't give a shit about your problems blah blah blah

mountain town living is hard, on the other hand I find it easy as can be, unable to function anywhere else because of what i've been able to do here, I guess I got lucky by stupid luck and blind ignorance I've been able to make a good life for myself, I could easily pack my bags keep my house, rent it long or short term and walk away with 800 in cash in rental income a month

I see people come and go constantly most of them leave with the same bad taste in their mouth as you did, i'm never suprised nor do I really care

it's small town living at it's worst, I say that because there is so much money and people are crawling over each other to get a piece of the pie, when there is money involved and lots of it, like anywhere in this country it will turn average good people into complete dicks, hence why people suck up to the "rich" like you mentioned
    This.
    Though most people I know leave sadly or other reasons good or bad that I just don't know. But they do leave in numbers. Maybe that is why it seems like it took a number of years to really get traction. And why while I try to be nice to everyone, I probably have incorporated the limited emotional investment for some until they have been here awhile. I also don't have to kiss anyones ass per se to maintain my living. Which is good as I would have quite a bit of difficulty in that and I can't even imagine moving back to the city.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    I moved there originally, moved in with Mrs SnapT in the hotel room she was renting. Come summer we moved over here into a shitty condo rather than bunk with 8 other people. Thankfully we’ve worked our way up from there. Wish we were closer to the tram, even the ghee is a haul from where we’re at, but it has its benefits for sure.
    I thought you lived out in Packsaddle.

Sure, if "figuring out the system" is just a euphemism for covering a $750K mortgage on a small house far from town. With minimum construction costs in Jackson well past $500/sq.ft. and land all the way down in Hoback Junction going for $250,000 an acre, building a 1000 sq ft house on a single acre a full 15 miles out of town will set you back appx. 750K before mortgage interest. If you can't afford that, I guess that's what you mean by "making sacrifices" and "giving up the niceties." Anyhowz, the OP was asking about the dirtbag scene, remember? To which I replied, don't let TGR's lifestyle marketing fool ya; there's not many dirtbags in a place where building a starter home 15 miles from town costs $750,000. Maybe Jackson worked for you, but there is nothing left for the new people to buy. Single family home sales in JHole are down what over the last 10 years? 60%? 70%? There's nothing left for workers to buy.
    You can get an acre for just $250k in JH?? Damn, that's cheap! But, that $750k - 1,000 sq. ft house seems a bit steep. Does that come with indoor plumbing, or do have to drop another $25k for the outhouse?
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeaths mom View Post
    Having a trust fund is not something that automatically qualifies someone as rich and able to afford a posh mountain lifestyle. My brother was a painting contractor in Duluth and when he passed away, his children's small inheritances went into trust funds. The money was a good start on their college education and best of all, it was safe from that witch, his ex-wife. Certainly not enough to retire in Jackson and become playboys who do nothing but ski and party.
    forget to log out of the alias?

Man this thread has gone off-rails....

I have to say though, when I visited Jackson this spring I do remember sharing a chairlift with a lawyer who bought subsidized housing a decade or so ago, so "dirtbag doctor" might be an apt oxymoron.

I am half-expecting this to turn into one of those epic threads next time I read it at the end of the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    You can get an acre for just $250k in JH?? Damn, that's cheap! But, that $750k - 1,000 sq. ft house seems a bit steep. Does that come with indoor plumbing, or do have to drop another $25k for the outhouse?
    Nope. You can get that acre way down in Hoback Junction, about 15 miles south of town in a canyon without much of a view and a highway running through it. In Jackson, that acre costs twice as much.

Construction costs in Jackson are exorbitant. Bringing in materials adds about 10% to their price. Labor commands another 10-20% above what you'd pay workers down in Idaho Falls or SLC. Construction costs on modest family homes are appx. $500/sq.ft. and it runs as high as $1000/sq.ft. for the luxury market. You could probably grind it down to $400/sq.ft. or lower if you know what you are doing.

A newly constructed 2000 sq.ft. home on one acre in Jackson now costs an average of $1.6M. That's why the hospital has to provide housing for nurses making $75K a year.

Nope. You can get that acre way down in Hoback Junction, about 15 miles south of town in a canyon without much of a view.

Construction costs in Jackson are exorbitant. Bringing in materials adds about 10% to their price. Labor commands another 10-20% above what you'd pay workers down in Idaho Falls or SLC.

A newly constructed 2000 sq.ft. home on one acre in Jackson now costs an average of $1.6M.
    Yeah I think an acre in town or Wilson is the better part of a cool million.

I bet that 750k number wouldn't even get you mid grade materials either.

To illustrate Neckdeeps point about parking cash, there is a house on East Simpson listed at around 2.45 million. It apparently sold in an off market sale at like 1.5 in 2015. 950k in a couple years. Damn.
    Live Free or Die

I thought you lived out in Packsaddle.
    Base of Pine Creekish

Jackson is not a normal ski town, Doc. It's more like living in the Hamptons or Martha's Vinyard. Dirtbag scene, give me a break. What dirtbag culture? The dirtbags sure ain't the ones who make it one of America's wealthiest counties. Ya, TGR would love for you to believe that there is dirtbag cred in JHole but real dirtbags aren't welcome in that town. That "dirtbag" you'll see loafing outside Pearl Street Bagels in Wilson is actually an underpaid TGR intern with family money. Shit, the cops will hassle a true dirtbag right out of Jackson. Dirt bags are now a tiny group of seasonal employees hiding in the woods, practically a myth. Most were replaced by Mexicans years ago. Seriously, go into any restaurant in town and its all Mexicans in the back, maybe some Russians or Turks running the food and then a few cute American girls working the tables. There's no dirtbags!! The last white guy to wash a dish in Jackson probably died 10 years ago. The average service employee in town is working full time in order to hold down housing and barely has time or money left over to do fun stuff.

Wyoming is income tax free, so there is now a year round contingent of thousands of idle rich asswipes who make Jackson their primary residence. Jackson is like the Vinyard because it is an island, but one surrounded by public land instead of ocean. That makes it exclusive and my how the rich gravitate to anything exclusive. Jackson is now the place if you have so much money that you need to park 10-20 million in an investment property. The wealthy priced most everyone else out and the Jackson variety are usually the worst sort of NIMBY motherfucker. Affordable housing? NIMBY. That's the typical J-holer these days. You are worried about finding a date? Sheeeyit, Doc...this is your big chance to marry up!
    I've been quiet till now. Wow. That ^^^ was awesome.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post

The point above about city girls v mountain ladies is an extremely valid one, this is actually something I've been struggling with quite a bit. There are rad ones here, but vastly outnumbered by edgy vegan polyamorous intersectional feminist etc blah blah spare me.
    yes mtn girls vs city girls
    continue please

I prefer edgy vegan girls with clunky black shoes and glassess couple tattoos, shit that describes my ex wife of a couple decades, too bad she was ski town prime cut, grade A hot stuff, guys dug her, she could out drink any of them the only problem is the cops would scrape her off the sidewalk at least once a year put her in the ambulance and send her to detox, that shits only acceptable in ski towns

FUCK JACKSON HOLE
    the place is for white pussy men, with scruff, patagonia puffies, work gloves from the hardware store, starched clean carharts, trucker cap, raybans, and other poser attire, while they bore you with details on their trip to bali, india to find darhma like jack kerouc shit, the UAE, and finally amsterdam to get laid, with a top off of climbing some glacier in iceland

move to breck where the real men are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbcXR91jNGE

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Yeah I think an acre in town or Wilson is the better part of a cool million.

I bet that 750k number wouldn't even get you mid grade materials either.
    Honestly? I looked, couldn't find anything for under 8hundy. Even at the proposed paygrade, a little rich for my blood.

And re: marrying up: Hah. Rich girls are trouble meng

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    And re: marrying up: Hah. Rich girls are trouble meng
    Maybe with that attitude!

I hear plenty of Mrs SnapT's friends and know plenty of others in the 30-40 range who are well past the ski bum alcoholic stage but have trouble finding a man who doesn't act like he's 18.
    Can I get some digits?

^^ Yeah, how about an introduction to these ladies?
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Just walk around the Smith’s organic section during the shoulder seasons and you’ll bump into most of them.

The last white guy to wash a dish in Jackson probably died 10 years ago.
    I'm still ticking!

Just walk around the Smith’s organic section during the shoulder seasons and you’ll bump into most of them.
    ...or the yoga studio, puffy coat sale at Skinny Skis, hanging on the patio drinking a chard wondering why the boys ain't as cool as they are, looking in the mirror trying to get the totally badass, totally cute, not too old thing just right with the big truck hat, Smith shades and the outdoorsy clothing.

Just another piece of mountain town reality. Many of the older single chicks are that way for a reason. Everybody knows it but them. They have been putting up a front for so long, they don't even know what being real is. The numbers game gave them the upper hand in the dating scene for so long that they totally forgot that relationships are about compromise. Their shell is so hard, nobody has the patience to even try and break it. Don't judge me. I will judge you.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Just another piece of mountain town reality. Many of the older single chicks are that way for a reason. Everybody knows it but them.
    So true. Past 35 and not in a relationship and there is generally a good reason for it. See a lot of that here in Whistler.
    Mountain towns are hard work. If you don't absolutely love the mountains, 365 days a year then its gonna be too much for you. There is no better feeling though, then coming back from a vacation and being completely pumped to return home to your own version of paradise.

Perhaps they just don’t have time for misogyny?

Perhaps they just don’t have time for anyone without their own house and a well funded 401k.
    FIFY.

FIFY.
    I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    yup, Bellingham is calling, doc.
    Sitting in Aslan now after touring table mtn, riding Chuckanut & a competing interview yesterday. You're not wrong.

To be fair, housing wouldn't have been an issue $ wise, I'm just not a high rent dude. The blue bloods can have it, not my scene.

Perhaps they just don’t have time for misogyny?
    Obviously I don't know your friends. All stereotypes are by definition false. But hey, just set them up with Swerve. He'd be a catch. Might even be able to get them a tandem paraglide flight.