Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    +1

former co worker of mine is in the JH area. seems to be doing fine. works at home and gets after it and makes a good living

you don't have to be poor to be a skier. if you don't have a marketable job skill, then yeah, welcome to the just getting by. skiing is for life, not having a career shouldn't be

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Some of you guy seem to be wrapped up in your own circumstances when giving advice to others. The OP is a doctor. I’d think he’d fit right in, provided he actually had a job when he arrived. He’s not going to be bussing tables.
    You haven't been keeping up. Even doctors are bussing tables to afford a shared apt. with a communal bathroom down the hall. We're talking JH here. This ain't some VailResort, I-70 corridor Tom, Dick, and Harry ski town we're talking about! JH, land of the billionaires and trophy husbands!!

On the other hand, maybe something like this could work in JH, or any ski town. Why limit it to big cities?

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...less-tech-work

Other customers of the company may be troubled by an even more fundamental conundrum: where is their workplace – and what, by contrast, constitutes home? WeWork is slowly expanding into a new venture called WeLive, up and running in New York and Washington DC, set to open for business in Seattle, and also planned for Tel Aviv. If accommodation is proving hard to find, you need company, and your life as a freelance means you have no permanent workplace where you can meet like-minded people, here is a solution: a range of tiny studio flats and slightly bigger dwellings, built around communal areas, kitchens and laundrettes – in the same building as WeWork office space.

Four years after stories broke of employees who worked up to 90 hours a week living in camper vans at Google’s HQ in northern California, a WeLive-esque lifestyle will presumably take root at a new Google campus taking shape nearby, which will sit among 10,000 new “housing units”. Up the road, Facebook’s Willow Village development looks set to deliver something similar. Meanwhile, for tech high flyers lucky enough to have no fixed employer or workplace, as well as WeLive, there is an even more alluring option: Roam, which is pitched at “digital nomads”, and offers flexible “co-working and co-living” spaces in London, San Francisco, Miami, Tokyo and Ubud, in Indonesia.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

There is basically no land available that would make that project viable.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    There is basically no land available that would make that project viable.
    Maybe start building upwards, not outwards? Think skyscrapers in down town Jackson!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by Kailua_Boys View Post
    That's exactly it. Life doesn't stop just because you live in a vacation spot. You still have bills to pay (only now they're way more) and regular errands to run. It's not like vacation where you zone out of all your responsibility for a week or two. Then you realize you can't ski every pow day or surf every epic swell because you actually have to go to work. So then you question what the point of moving was in the first place if you're back to being a weekend warrior. Only now you're isolated and get paid less. But hey, the scenery is nice.
    Better to be a weekend warrior where the scenery sucks, eh?

Different strokes, I suppose.

Jrainey, I had never even heard of that place (and I have skiied in the Arlberg 3x). Google images says it's beautiful. Lucky bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Maybe start building upwards, not outwards? Think skyscrapers in down town Jackson!
    They already are, four stories now with setback. Even so, the build costs per square foot downtown are astronomical.

If your cool giving handjobs for scratch JH sounds great.
    https://youtu.be/n3Eqq_vRXS4

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Jrainey, I had never even heard of that place (and I have skiied in the Arlberg 3x). Google images says it's beautiful. Lucky bastard.
    Yeah, kinda been curious about that area. Definitely heard about it, driven nearby, but not up that valley. Not as much snow as the Arlberg (Which I love, been 7 or 8 times now), but probably a LOT fewer people...
    He who has the most fun wins!

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Yeah, kinda been curious about that area. Definitely heard about it, driven nearby, but not up that valley. Not as much snow as the Arlberg (Which I love, been 7 or 8 times now), but probably a LOT fewer people...
    Just as many people, but fewer fat skis and airbags

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineZone View Post
    Hi Huskydoc! May I suggest that instead of the overrated, overhyped and overpriced Tetons, that you "think outside the box" and instead relocate to a ski town in the northeast, home of the gnarliest snowriding in the USA? I would proffer that all things considered,the northeast is the clear choice. The riding is more challenging here due to the variable conditions, the snow is better due to the cold temperatures, more consistant snowfall as well as superior snowmaking (and LOTS of water for the snowmaking systems) as well as a truly more enriching urban and mountain lifestyle. Also, the culture is superior, the history is rich and the "Norman Rockwell" factor is prevalent everywhere you turn.The terrain is truly fabulous, the partying is unmatched anywhere(can you say "hot New Jersey Italian babes?"). If you can shred here, you can shred ANYWHERE. When you score your first Killington powder day in "Anarchy", "The Throne", "Chop Chop" or "Patsy", you will be grinning from ear to ear, I promise you!. You will also find that the clientele(as well as your co-workers) will tend to be more educated and well-rounded, not your typical one-dimensional western ski jocks. Okemo, Stratton, or Killington Vermont would be better than Jackson in every way!
    I would also like to take this opportunity to formally invite you (as well as all TGR Maggots, NewSchoolers, Pugskiazoids, jongs and lurkers alike) to come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados at http://forums.alpinezone.com/. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. I can assure you that "newbies"'(jongs) are welcomed with open arms by our entire community(unlike here at TGR), and there is no "hazing period" or rudeness tolerated. We also have superior bandwidth and response times on our 502g superfibre network as well as a state-of-the-art virtual blade server farm with 5000 terabytes of virtual disk space for your photos, blogs etc. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS is strictly "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. If you are tired of the juvenile goings-on at TGR and Newschoolers and yearn for a snowriding forum that matches your maturity level, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!
    has anyone met Greg in real life?

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Amazingly pathetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Except that for most people it's not even close to their reality. See JRainey's post for a different POV.
    If it's not close to your reality it doesn't mean it's not 100% true for others. It definitely rings true. You see what you want to see. Not saying you are wrong either, a lot of these rants don't apply to some of my friends there at all.....except for the alcohol problems, ha.

There's a lot of negativity in this thread, but I think the take-away should be: Yes, move to Jackson, but as a friendly warning it's not the nirvana you may expect in town. It's definitely the nirvana you would hope for in the mountains, so if you can easily ignore some bullshit down low for the lines up high, give it a shot.

"We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Want to get out there this winter & spring and check out the scene for work and real estate...and just hang for a while, but suspect it'll remain as a terrific area to hang now & then. Property is bottom line dollars and cents...and the hotspots don't come cheap. Looking forward to visiting though....a beautiful area of country.
    Last edited by steved; 09-01-2018 at 11:29 PM.

If it is so important for you to ski during the season constantly, then why not move closer to the Alps? These are the best mountains for skiers all over the world!

Since this popped to the top, how is it in Jackson after the COVID migration?

Even harder to find housing?

WFH crowd still there?

asspen - take all the comments about housing being hard to find in 2018 and then multiply it by 10.

Moving to Jackson: Yay or nay?

Spilling over to the west and south too. Check out prices in Victor and Alpine.

There are a couple fine examples from 1 year ago that are now listed for 2-3 times what they were. It’s especially discouraging when some of those listings were maybe just barely affordable, and are now more than I’ll ever be able to buy.

Can’t last forever though. Another subpar teton winter will have people packing their bags.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Another subpar teton winter will have people packing their bags.
    I wonder if the opposite is also true. ie, would a true blue cold and snowy as shit winter send people packing?

Maybe, but unlikely. There are just a lot of wealthy people that want to live in the premium mountain locations. Sure, there will be some that don't like it, some that get called back to the office, some that are not as wealthy as they thought there were. But for everyone that leaves, two will fight to take their place.

There are now something like 10million second homes in the US. What I'm seeing as the new trend is that people live primarily at their vacation address and go to the other place only as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I wonder if the opposite is also true. ie, would a true blue cold and snowy as shit winter send people packing?
    The people who can buy into Jackson now aren’t tied to a single geographic region for employment; it’s a choice. Gonna be cold and don’t want to deal with it? Go to the beach house or fly/drive some place warm. A mediocre snow winter and/or a firy summer might change minds.

We will have both this year, the way things are looking…

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    The people who can buy into Jackson now aren’t tied to a single geographic region for employment; it’s a choice. Gonna be cold and don’t want to deal with it? Go to the beach house or fly/drive some place warm. A mediocre snow winter and/or a firy summer might change minds.
    Ain’t changing.

Once upon a time jh was dead in the winter.
    Dirtbag cheap lodging. Think elk refuge. 49er. Etc.
    busy season was summer.

It ain’t coming back.

It’s still an amazing valley. But the word is out. And the billionaires are kicking out the millionaires. Money is power.
    They might do a little around the edges to make sure they have house cleaners and landscapers. But not much more than that.

Even today. The draw isn’t winter.
    It’s no income tax. Amazing vistas. Occasional hikes or bikes. But mostly feeling Wild West. But not really being a cowboy. Since you’re in a five plus million dollar house.

It really sucks that the best resort in NA is trapped in a valley of money.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Ain’t changing.

Once upon a time jh was dead in the winter.
    Dirtbag cheap lodging. Think elk refuge. 49er. Etc.
    busy season was summer.

It ain’t coming back.

It’s still an amazing valley. But the word is out. And the billionaires are kicking out the millionaires. Money is power.
    They might do a little around the edges to make sure they have house cleaners and landscapers. But not much more than that.

Even today. The draw isn’t winter.
    It’s no income tax. Amazing vistas. Occasional hikes or bikes. But mostly feeling Wild West. But not really being a cowboy. Since you’re in a five plus million dollar house.

It really sucks that the best resort in NA is trapped in a valley of money.
    Funny this thread rose from the dead. Out of curiosity I glanced at the current offerings.
    I do ok, and 3 yrs ago when I was pondering, maybe I could have lived there. Now? Not a single listing I can afford, or even come close really. It's just a completely different level.

It’s fucked.

Kicking myself for not buying a house in TV in the 2009 recession. A real house. Over the pass. But damn nice for the money. Would have had to rent until my retirement. But damn. What a nice investment.

Or scraping nickels well before that to buy a condo in ghetto brook. I didn’t have nickels. But I wish I had scraped harder to get it.

It’s so fucked.

I know so many that were renting and moved away. Good people. But they gave up. I wish they had owned and at least cashed out. But no. They survived until they were forced out.
    I also know a few that lucked out and got subsidized housing. Good for them. Lottery winners.
    . . .