Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Nope. We gonna do it right here.
    And the next thread like this. And the one after that. And don’t forget the one after that I’m sure you’ll be all over that one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    This thread hasn't been about Jackson for pages. "Blue Collar"? What does that even mean? Sounds like a term used by a struggling bank teller or retail manager wondering why they are struggling in a ski town. This is 'Merica. Don't blame the tradesman that the welders, sparkys and turd wranglers get paid twice what your college degree qualified you to do.
    Bwahaha the idea some retail or bank person is out there “blaming” other people in your line of work is batshit. That doesn’t happen in the real world.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Bwahaha the idea some retail or bank person is out there “blaming” other people in your line of work is batshit. That doesn’t happen in the real world.
    I don't know if that if this is the real world or not...but yes. It is happening right here right now. One of the factors in the non-affordable housing issue is rents being bid up by tradesman who's services are currently in demand. I don't know any "blue collar" workers on the tax payer tit for subsidized housing, they don't qualify. There is a waiting list of bank tellers, retail managers etc. But hey, that ain't in Jackson.

Remember, it's just the internet. You don't have to read it. Everything on TGR is re-hash anyways. This has been going on for years. You could probably just change the dates of the posts on Pow Mag and you'd never know the difference.

Rents bid up by tradesmen? Maybe in some mountain towns, but not Jackson.

Rents are bid up by telecommuters who can work high paying tech and finance jobs from an internet connection.

The construction workers and plumbers live in Idaho.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Can you and Freds just get your own subforum to fetishize blue collar bros, weigh in on stereotypes and voice your opinion in on mtn towns you’ve never lived in?

LOL seriously

cb and telluride were fun too

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post

I wonder if I should stay in JH after 28 years. Livin the dream. For today.

Not a trustfunder, well educated, very handy, chronic habit. Live to ski the Village. No future.
    Same here.

Some people just don't get it.

Back to the op. Let's be honest another guy hoping to make a ski town his home. The only thing is he's worried it might not be his cup of tea. Then he brings up pussy hoping being an MD would make his ski town culture value higher than a fuck up like me. Well honestly no one gives a shit except the gold digging alcoholic.

I live in town Breck for a life time niw how much more ski town do you need to be to call you self an expert. I'll call myself an expert.

Should I start a new thread?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Sure, if "figuring out the system" is just a euphemism for covering a $750K mortgage on a small house far from town. With minimum construction costs in Jackson well past $500/sq.ft. and land all the way down in Hoback Junction going for $250,000 an acre, building a 1000 sq ft house on a single acre a full 15 miles out of town will set you back appx. 750K before mortgage interest. If you can't afford that, I guess that's what you mean by "making sacrifices" and "giving up the niceties." Anyhowz, the OP was asking about the dirtbag scene, remember? To which I replied, don't let TGR's lifestyle marketing fool ya; there's not many dirtbags in a place where building a starter home 15 miles from town costs $750,000. Maybe Jackson worked for you, but there is nothing left for the new people to buy. Single family home sales in JHole are down what over the last 10 years? 60%? 70%? There's nothing left for workers to buy.
    damn. wow.

Sounds like Jackson Hole isn't all it's cracked up to be. The dark underbelly of a ski town. But everyone wants to be there who is anybody with money, and a hankering for poseurville. I rode the lift this winter while on vacation at JH with a couple of women of retirement age speaking with Australian accents. One of the women's husbands is an orthopedic surgeon. I guess he was able to land a job in JH. They seem to really like it there. Plenty of work. Lots of people in JH breaking bones and what not. You know, the bro brah lifestyle, and old, rich retired folks breaking stuff too.

At least there's enough workforce to cater to the rich. I was surprised at all the Russian speaking folks that were working there.

OP might want to check out Bend. It's still got pockets of decent priced homes, relative to other mtn. towns. And there's lots of old retired people here who need medical care. But then Bachelor ain't even close to Rendezvous Mtn.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Two good friends of mine (who are currently engaged) have been living in Jackson for nearly two years down, and have hosted me on several occasions.

While I have visited/passed through the town numerous times, it was interesting to learn more about the darker side to living in a place like that. On the surface, they both appear to be 'living the dream' and I certainly imagine they are having plenty of outdoor fun.

But shit, housing is so expensive and hard to come by that they're living in a cramped studio apartment in a complex that seems to only be filled with Mexican families working in the service industry. It's still like $1400/mo for their cramped space, and there's no yard to keep their large dog. No savings of any kind as well. They've been looking for a new place in town, but it doesn't seem like they have had any luck given their price range.

For the record, they both met prior to moving to JH. As others have pointed out, this can be a risky strategy if there are any issues about the relationship as she'd be a highly desirable girl in that town.

Back to the OP's original question, if you are basing your opinion of JH on skiing there in the winter, just remember they get about a million tourists through town in the winter, but 4 million in the summer when the park roads are open.
    Gravity Junkie

The white zone is for loading and unloading. If you need to load or unload go to the white zone. You'll love it!
    The Central Scrutinizer