Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    I moved to Jackson for a real job, left after a year as the job sucked, the locals were super-clicky, and i could not afford a house, ever. But I did not regret the time spent there biking and skiing, it was still a great year.

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    29F this morning in Driggs.
    you fucking pussy ......!!!!
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    So here's my concern, my hesitation: Early 30's. Not single but not firmly tied down. I'm envisioning a possible scenario where I'm suddenly in the market and find myself limited to resort workers and...whatever else there is? With not much in terms of infrastructure (Hey let's grab a beer at X, or lets check out this show at Y; I'm used to having a pretty thick playbook living in a bigger city). So bottom line, I'm worried I'm gonna wind up spending prime years f*cking a moose. Maybe worse. Am I nuts? Where does one find quality lady-friend in resort-town?
    I'm in a similar position to you, early 30s, career type job. The dating scene isn't bad but it's a pretty small pool to be fishing in. I've found having a career and your shit together doesn't get you too far with the ladies.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I think the point is that if you have to ask if you should move to Jackson, then the answer is no. Some people like the mountains, some like the city, some like having a large pool of potential mates, some think that their soulmate will find them no matter what and are content banging Wilson housewives until that day comes.

Seems like you could hop on a plane, maybe even your own plane, out of KJAC...
    This...is actually a plan I'm currently working on. Lessons & all. You've all given me hope, and a clear motivation to up my game.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    OP,

From the sounds of it... I would consider a larger mountain town, it will suit you better. You sound like you want to put down roots somewhere, not live somewhere for a few years. You have to fight hard to make the really small mountain town thing work.

Just to name a few towns worth looking, that have at least one world class primary outdoor activity and at least 3-4 mediocre level secondary activities (skiing, boating, river, lakes, fishing, hunting, mountain biking, climbing, mountaineering, etc ):
    Wenatchee
    Spokane
    Boise
    Bend
    Bozeman
    Missoula
    Bellingham

Sure, Jackson might have the best skiing, climbing and biking in the US (maybe, depends on who you ask) but these other places balance the rad outside stuff with not living in a small valley with a tiny community of trustafarians, jaded locals and billionaires.
    Yup, these actually are my top 3, been actively working on lining up gigs, unfortunately it comes down to timing. B-ham tops my list for reasons discussed, but current emp prospect would require a long commute. Wenatchee's not hiring, Everyone and their mother wants to work move to/work in bozeman. Bend is our closest "resort town", I'd totally swing it if skiing Bach were worth it...
    Last edited by Huskydoc; 06-14-2018 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    More bullshit. Guys in a townlike Jackson may get really focused on being fit and hitting the gym harder but that's often related to the lack of high quality and regularly available attractive woman.
    you've been gone too long- there are hotties everywhere
    honestly I kind of thought that's why you hated Jackson these days- bc it had changed from old school authentic people to ritzy beautiful people, which I get
    when my dad was here for our wedding he said "if I knew everyone here was so attractive I would have lost some weight and gotten some hair plugs before I came here" lol
    But yes the pool is smaller than a bigger town for sure

One other interesting pt my dad made. I have a sister who lives in boston and is single and dad brought up the point that when you live in a ski town you are surrounded with people with similar interests- easy to connect. in the city you have to sift through a bit more. But really depends on whether you want to find someone that also likes to ski ride etc or if it doesn't matter to you to have that in common/ you prefer to do your sports without partner or have more separate interests. either is ok

but yeah OP if you are questioning at all then maybe not the place for you (yes yes it's horrible here hehe)

but also that said, my mom's GP just left town and was here for a yr or less. she didn't dig it. probably bc you buy a million $ shithole but if your priorities are not getting on my cool home thread than you should be ok.

Lots of other cool places on your list too so you really can't go wrong. Good luck!
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    This...is actually a plan I'm currently working on. Lessons & all. You've all given me hope, and a clear motivation to up my game.

Yup, these actually are my top 3, been actively working on lining up gigs, unfortunately it comes down to timing. B-ham tops my list for reasons discussed, but current emp prospect would require a long commute. Wenatchee's not hiring, Everyone and their mother wants to work move to/work in bozeman. Bend is our closest "resort town", I'd totally swing it if skiing Bach were worth it...
    Several of those other towns are probably not ideal for the dating scene, either.

And if Boise seems appealing and you want to ski or mountain bike, you may as well listen to detrusor's PM and consider this neighborhood. Better skiing. Arguably better biking. Deeper job market by a long shot.

But Jackson is Jackson. If I were single and could handle the employment and housing thing there, I would jump at the opportunity.

One other interesting pt my dad made. I have a sister who lives in boston and is single and dad brought up the point that when you live in a ski town you are surrounded with people with similar interests- easy to connect. in the city you have to sift through a bit more. But really depends on whether you want to find someone that also likes to ski ride etc or if it doesn't matter to you to have that in common/ you prefer to do your sports without partner or have more separate interests. either is ok
    This is what I was getting at. When I lived in Denver, I had just about nothing in common with 90% of the people I interacted with. Sure, there was variety but most of that variety was not good. I didn't realize until I left that, socially, I spent a lot of time trying to "fit in" with things and people I didn't really want to fit it with.

Again, it is back to being comfortable and figuring out what you like. Maybe the OP knows this, maybe he doesn't. I think a lot of younger people have a preconceived notion of what will make your life awesome. You owe it to yourself to try doing life a few different ways to see what works for you. Trust me when I say, perceived and real, as you get older, drastic change becomes more difficult.

you'll best succeed in a ski town if:

you have a drug or alcohol problem
    if you have an undiagnosed or untreated mental health problem

and there are only two types of people who move to a ski town
    those that are there for recreation
    and those that are there to hide

As usual, Fred...laying in down better than I can.

Honestly, my experience is a little different that his. When I lived in the city, all people my age (25 to 32ish) wanted to do, was go out and party. I know plenty of people in the mountains who are relatively polluted, but I know where more healthy people with good balance.

If you wanna be a loadie, your gonna do that anywhere. Mountain Towns are probably more socially liberal so there is a veneer of acceptance. Honestly, I think the small town thing is a bit of a small pond so everybody know somebody that has substance abuse problems. In cities, I think it is under the rug.

Granted Grand County, Summit County and Jackson are all pretty different but I'm guessing Baby Bear knows plenty of 30 somethings in bed by 10, up by 5, taking life pretty damn serious.

I guess this is one of the thinks I don't get out peoples impressions of ski towns. On one hand, its party time all the time and on the other hard it is so hard to make it that you have to work three jobs and don't have time to enjoy where you live. Which one is it? Pro-tip: just like everywhere else it is about balance and figuring it out for yourself.

Bozeman sucks. Gallatin valley is awesome.

Fastfred. /end thread

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Bozeman sucks. Gallatin valley is awesome.

Fastfred. /end thread
    Mmmm ... sprawling tract housing.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    One other interesting pt my dad made. I have a sister who lives in boston and is single and dad brought up the point that when you live in a ski town you are surrounded with people with similar interests- easy to connect. in the city you have to sift through a bit more. But really depends on whether you want to find someone that also likes to ski ride etc or if it doesn't matter to you to have that in common/ you prefer to do your sports without partner or have more separate interests. either is ok !
    That's actually an excellent point. When I dated in the "big city" before meeting my wife in Montana of all places (seriously never thought that could have happened due the the "Mantana" reputation), I wasted my time dating a lot of ladies just to find out later that they (A) hated the cold (B) had zero interest in skiing or any other snowy activities. Instant deal breaker. I seriously broke it off with enough girls over that, that the topic ended up being date #1 point of conversation. To me, it was just as important as the "do you want kids, marriage, etc." stuff, but I needed to know about interest in skiing, mountains pretty much first.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    That's actually an excellent point. When I dated in the "big city" before meeting my wife in Montana of all places (seriously never thought that could have happened due the the "Mantana" reputation), I wasted my time dating a lot of ladies just to find out later that they (A) hated the cold (B) had zero interest in skiing or any other snowy activities. Instant deal breaker. I seriously broke it off with enough girls over that, that the topic ended up being date #1 point of conversation. To me, it was just as important as the "do you want kids, marriage, etc." stuff, but I needed to know about interest in skiing, mountains pretty much first.
    And now you are in Tejas?

Austin is the contrarian in the group. Exports wife from the mountains. Super happy moving to the suburbs in the swap. The list goes on.

Why not move to Minneapolis? If you are single and looking to mingle with ladies who like the cold and snow, look no farther than Minnesota. You will find some of the nicest and prettiest girls in the country outside of Texas here. And they won't have that annoying southern accent.

I wish Andrew would settle down and meet a nice young lady but he seems to attract those with less than desirable traits. Mind you, I'm not against a 35 year old divorced mom with a child, some are very nice, but the ex-husbands always seem to cause issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Mountain Towns are probably more socially liberal so there is a veneer of acceptance.
    Quite true. But sadly, it is mostly just that...a veneer, as the phoney balogney liberals are almost as bad as Portlandians. Shop local!...except we only want to support Amazon and rich out-of-towners's businesses. Diversity!...except we'd really rather pretend the low income people here don't exist. Go Bernie Sanders...but we'll totally exploit every possible tax loophole we can. Simultaneously french-kissing the billionaires asses here whilst shunning said local businesses.
    The most annoying phenomenon I witnessed over and over again was how if you were a regular Joe blow like me, then people didn't consider you a "local" until you've lived there like a decade. But when a rich family moved into town, the butt kissing was off the charts. Then it was all "Welcome! Come on over, local friend!" Instant local status apparently. I say this after seeing the difference in how friends of mine and I were treated versus some of my wealthy friends who moved in recently. Total different treatment from the other so-called locals.

...on the other hard it is so hard to make it that you have to work three jobs and don't have time to enjoy where you live.
    Sadly, that was where I ended up on the spectrum. Had a great job and RE was down when I moved to Big Sky, so it was more than doable and life was grand. Then that company folded and it was an uphill struggle ever since until I finally called it quits after realizing that I couldn't "fight the machine" there any longer. Apparently the big shots who don't even live there really don't take too kindly to local startups. FML. Thus I became just another jaded ski town casualty. Haha. Oh well. Don't let that discourage anybody from going to a ski town, though. If you got a great job and housing, then it could be great. Really wish I could have made it work. Living within the best places the mountains have to offer just can't be properly described. Setting aside all the local drama and BS, it's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    And now you are in Tejas?
    Sadly, yes.

Austin is the contrarian in the group. Exports wife from the mountains. Super happy moving to the suburbs in the swap. The list goes on.
    Huh. That is ironic that I exported her. Wouldn't say I was exactly "happy" to move to the burbs, though. Just a necessary evil in life's roller coaster. That said, it IS nice having a vastly more affordable cost of living. I will get back to the mountains as soon as life allows. I miss so much about it already. In the meanwhile, I'll be visiting as often as possible. Glad I have great friends and family there!

I think there really is a difference between first and second tier mountain towns (define as you wish). Where I live is certainly changing and between the business and some of the people ("locals", "second homos", "vacationers"), I go up valley to Winter Park less and less. I feel real fortunate to still have some peace and quiet and real working people down valley. I would struggle if I couldn't live down valley.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    you've been gone too long- there are hotties everywhere
    honestly I kind of thought that's why you hated Jackson these days- bc it had changed from old school authentic people to ritzy beautiful people, which I get
    I think he hates it because he moved someplace it doesn't snow and now hates on everyone who lives in a ski town for "missing out on the rest of life"

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Quite true. But sadly, it is mostly just that...a veneer, as the phoney balogney liberals are almost as bad as Portlandians. Shop local!...except we only want to support Amazon and rich out-of-towners's businesses. Diversity!...except we'd really rather pretend the low income people here don't exist. Go Bernie Sanders...but we'll totally exploit every possible tax loophole we can. Simultaneously french-kissing the billionaires asses here whilst shunning said local businesses.
    The most annoying phenomenon I witnessed over and over again was how if you were a regular Joe blow like me, then people didn't consider you a "local" until you've lived there like a decade. But when a rich family moved into town, the butt kissing was off the charts. Then it was all "Welcome! Come on over, local friend!" Instant local status apparently. I say this after seeing the difference in how friends of mine and I were treated versus some of my wealthy friends who moved in recently. Total different treatment from the other so-called locals.

Sadly, that was where I ended up on the spectrum. Had a great job and RE was down when I moved to Big Sky, so it was more than doable and life was grand. Then that company folded and it was an uphill struggle ever since until I finally called it quits after realizing that I couldn't "fight the machine" there any longer. Apparently the big shots who don't even live there really don't take too kindly to local startups. FML. Thus I became just another jaded ski town casualty. Haha. Oh well. Don't let that discourage anybody from going to a ski town, though. If you got a great job and housing, then it could be great. Really wish I could have made it work. Living within the best places the mountains have to offer just can't be properly described. Setting aside all the local drama and BS, it's awesome.
    I don't know about the rich family moving to town shit

I will give you the veneer, sure i'll be nice to you, genuinely nice to you, but honestly I don't give shit that you just moved here I don't give a shit about your problems blah blah blah

mountain town living is hard, on the other hand I find it easy as can be, unable to function anywhere else because of what i've been able to do here, I guess I got lucky by stupid luck and blind ignorance I've been able to make a good life for myself, I could easily pack my bags keep my house, rent it long or short term and walk away with 800 in cash in rental income a month

I see people come and go constantly most of them leave with the same bad taste in their mouth as you did, i'm never suprised nor do I really care

it's small town living at it's worst, I say that because there is so much money and people are crawling over each other to get a piece of the pie, when there is money involved and lots of it, like anywhere in this country it will turn average good people into complete dicks, hence why people suck up to the "rich" like you mentioned

Thank you everyone!!!! This thread was a massively hilarious read on an otherwise boring morning!!! Keep it coming!!

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    you move to Portland?
    Yessir, 4 years back for residency.

The point above about city girls v mountain ladies is an extremely valid one, this is actually something I've been struggling with quite a bit. There are rad ones here, but vastly outnumbered by edgy vegan polyamorous intersectional feminist etc blah blah spare me.

So, I feel like maybe while the numbers might be lower the ratio of quality to not might be higher in a ski town. The Crux of my question really comes down to whether the high-rent isolated small weirdness of Jackson comepletely throws my calculus for a loop

Just go!

I don't see how a new doc in town wouldn't clean up, if you have a personality and can talk to people. The girls who want dirtbags are not the ones you want to have anyways (for a long time). Someone here mentioned how having your shit together doesn't actually help, but that doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Someone here mentioned how having your shit together doesn't actually help, but that doesn't make sense to me.
    Perhaps he was talking about the girls who are into dirtbags? That one always threw me for a loop. Seeing a beautiful girl with a nice pad (obviously funded by rich parents) but letting her loser BF with zero personality or ambition live with her. It's like those sorts of women want a project boyfriend, you know...the ones they think they can fix? Those are not the girls OP will desire.

Speaking of which, hey OP. If you're so concerned about the dating scene and see your current GF as a questionable future, then definitely don't bring her along for the ride. That would be cruel to her. Unless you really want tons of drama as you inevitably break up and you don't mind seeing her around town dating your friends or the local bro-brahs.