Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Is this Jackson NJ, or Jackson WY?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I called it home from 2007 til 2015.
    I gotta admit I was uber lucky with housing, 4 months in a shit hole and the rest of the time in a affordable log cabin downtown.
    Loved/love the place, absolutley amazing outdoor activities year round. The wealthy bring some good with them too, concerts and the like are not often found in a town of 8,000 in the Rockies.
    Do it, be patient and bide your time, then it will open up and show you how amazing it is!

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Mostly yes, a little no.

Nobody pays the rate birdhunter talks about. He's just BSing you. I've noticed he shittalks this place a bit.
    I was born and raised less than 100 miles from Jackson.
    I lived in Jackson for 4 years ('87 - '91).
    I'm more local than most of the locals.
    I have many friends who live there.
    I earned the right to shittalk that shitshow.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

“Transient wannabes” often can’t afford the $1900 post sale pass price.

I had a great time working 4 hrs per day, twice a week at the resort for my pass. Met some great folks that way. Got paid to ski.

The “cool” factor Djongo is talking about is very true... but harder to find. I rented a log cabin on the pass road the last two winters from an 80yr old mountain guide who left for Mexico each November. That guy was pretty cool. First person to ski Teewinot... missed out on the 1st descent of the grand by 1 day.

They are definitely around if you look. But so are the less than humble folks, and that’s what drove me nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by thebirdhunter View Post
    I was born and raised less than 100 miles from Jackson.
    I lived in Jackson for 4 years ('87 - '91).
    I'm more local than most of the locals.
    I have many friends who live there.
    I earned the right to shittalk that shitshow.
    I knew that wouldn't take long.

A. BFD
    B. 5 year minimum to be a local. year around. Then moving away, makes you a local somewhere else.
    C. That's just, like, your opinion man...
    D. OK
    E. Just because you feel that way, doesn't necessarily make it a fact.

I've read your complaining about the rents and tram waits, etc. If you're gonna bitch about this place from your Idaho haunt, I'll be pushing back. I don't bitch about your land of Napoleon Dynamites.

I repeat, Nobody pays $1800 rent in a house with 8 people. Fearmongering that is...Nor do we wait for 5 box waits for days on end.

Wait, the blue bloods...they exist? I thought that was some gross caricature.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Wait, the blue bloods...they exist? I thought that was some gross caricature.
    You don't happen to be the Udub Urology resident I met at EIRMC in the ICU are ya?

Doc Smith is good people at the hospital. Everything has pretty much been covered here, expensive, crowded as shit in the summer, but all for good reason. I've met plenty of EIRMC and Portneuf docs who have condo's this direction but make better money and enjoy working at the bigger hospitals.

If you're not actually an MD as your username implies I'll feel stupid....

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    You don't happen to be the Udub Urology resident I met at EIRMC in the ICU are ya?

Doc Smith is good people at the hospital. Everything has pretty much been covered here, expensive, crowded as shit in the summer, but all for good reason. I've met plenty of EIRMC and Portneuf docs who have condo's this direction but make better money and enjoy working at the bigger hospitals.

If you're not actually an MD as your username implies I'll feel stupid....
    Not Urology, can't stand that much dick.
    The job offer is contingent on being able to live 15 minutes from the hospital. Not sure how that affects things

You should be fine. East Jackson is the place. Get yourself approved to the Facebook buy and sell in the area, and you’ll find a room. Or, just go to the JH News and Guide website and check the classifieds. The classifieds work.

Just do it. Crusty jaded locals will always have more negative than good to say.

You'll find a place to sleep at night and the rest of the time, just work and go do cool shit.

Django is a cool dude, buy him some beer when you get to town and listen to his advice on the jackson scene.

Go to Jackson. Make it work for as long as you can stand. Tour a lot in GTNP... any time the Mtn Resort is busy.

Moving to Jackson: Yay or nay?

If you have a job lined up, why is this even a question?
    What’s worse can happen?
    Move back??
    If you have two priorities set (job and place to stay), the rest can sort it out.
    I’ll move in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    If you have a job lined up, why is this even a question?
    Yup. Finding good paying employment has to be the hardest part of moving to a town like that. If I had an employer who had a job for me there, I'd be all over it...so long as I could afford to live without struggling too hard. The ultra high cost of living combined with ultra low wages has to be one of the biggest gripes us common non-trust fund folk have with ski towns. Have a livable income? Then it's a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    You should be fine. East Jackson is the place. Get yourself approved to the Facebook buy and sell in the area, and you’ll find a room. Or, just go to the JH News and Guide website and check the classifieds. The classifieds work.

The hospital has a housing coordinator, hit them up!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Huskydoc -

I lived in JH for about 10 years and went the other direction - now in SLC for the last 22 or 23 - so that gives you some time frame for my comments.

My $.02 assuming you will be able to afford satisfactory housing in Jackson or eventually in Teton Valley and work at the hospital over there:

If you are living in a major metro - then this move will be a large downshift in the speed of life and the number of things that you may be involved with. This can either be good or bad depending on you. I loved living in JH, but I acknowledge that if I ever moved back there it would take me 2 - 3 years to wind back down to the speed of life of a "remote" resort town/community.

Ok, so with that you have to ask yourself are you the type of person that is addicted to and or thrives on the outdoors - because if the answer is yes - you can drown yourself in the opportunities for wonderful and amazing outdoor endeavors and that will be enough to keep you happy until all of a sudden more years than you can imagine have passed.

Friends - the town is littered with people that are addicted and/or thrive on the outdoors and the beauty of nature - rich, poor, professional or not there is no shortage of folks to share these great experiences with and make lasting friendships with.

Now if you don't feel that that is you and you really get jazzed about culture, arts, a hipster and University type vibe - then JH, while not devoid of that, isn't the best place to find that.

2 other objective things about JH - 1) it's pretty much the best lift served and lift accessed skiing in USA by a long ways and 2) it has access to a lot of backcountry skiing from your car - which is a much rarer asset than I believe many think.

Finding a female significant other used to be quite a challenge when people used their snowmobiles to get around town in the winter, that may have changed.

It's good to have choices.

Quote Originally Posted by jsnowut View Post
    Finding a female significant other used to be quite a challenge when people used their snowmobiles to get around town in the winter, that may have changed.

It's good to have choices.
    Blah blah blah, "buy a snowmobile to get chicks and expand your options" is all I heard.

It’s why I didn’t move there in 81.

I went to Jackson on CSU’s spring break trip in 78. It was like watching sharks feed.

I still can’t believe I met my wife there

Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I still can’t believe I met my wife there

Did ya have a snowmobile?

the male/ female ratio here is much better now than it used to be

wages here are pretty good for a ski town. most businesses realize they need to compensate for the cost of living and so even working at like the local gas station is going to pay like $18-20 hour. Of course places like working at the ski resort are going to pay shiz but sounds like you have a career job lined up which should be good- they generally pay what you need bc they know otherwise they won't keep you

The housing is tough but if you are resourceful and can do the hustle a bit, it usually works out ok. I have friends that have moved every yr they've lived here and others that rented the same place for 10 yrs. like any place depends on where you get in. Hospital work should be ok and you'll meet a ton of professionals who will help you with word of mouth places too once they get to know you and as other guys mentioned there is workforce housing at the hospital and some other businesses

Sad to see superior move and thnx for the shout out. hopefully we'll cross paths again at a BBI or otherwise.
    I could see also being more on the scene/ going out/ dating etc that some of the people here could become very annoying. luckily I rarely go to the bars and so don't have to deal with the spewing

but I also don't mind paying a little premium for my home to walk out my door to hike, ride, ski so it's all about your priorities.

PM if you have any specific Q's etc- happy to help and good luck.

ps -of course I came for the winter but summers of ~75 perfect degrees everyday also will suck you in
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    The job offer is contingent on being able to live 15 minutes from the hospital. Not sure how that affects things
    Negotiate no call. If they continue to insist on you taking call settle on home call.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    Negotiate no call. If they continue to insist on you taking call settle on home call.

Negotiate in your powder clause too.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
    Yeah, it's home call. Hence the living 15 mins out

Well then, That qualifies you as a local in Bunny Time