Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: bullshit jobs

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    They certainly wouldn't be necessary if people knew how to properly park at ski areas. So much wasted space between vehicles...
    This.

This season the parking attendant was hitting a pipe when we pulled up. And he parked us perfectly.

The reason so many hate their jobs is that most work, like the newyorker article mentions, comes in bursts. Mine sure does. So there's a lot of bullshit time. And the bullshit time is soul sucking.

Here's another good article:
    https://harpers.org/archive/2018/06/punching-the-clock/

I got a bullshit job offer

Need a gif made of an obscure line in the the movie Nightcrawler.

The applicant will have to illegally download the movie and somehow chop the Bill Paxton line and add words. Then loop.

Taking bids
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

ski area Security Guards: started that at JHMR a few years ago. Thug life at the slopes; Big dudes dressed all in black.

Clown job - which I point out to them regularly.

Ejection seat tests are no longer carried out with humans. The last pilot to ride a rocket-propelled sled was Col. John Paul Stapp, who earned the title “the fastest man on Earth” at Holloman on December 10, 1954, to a land speed record of 632 mph in five seconds: during the test, Stapp decelerated in 1.4 seconds, which equaled 46.2 Gs, the greatest g-load ever sustained by a man. His eyes were flooded with blood and although he regained most of his normal vision on the next day, he subsequently lost his eyesight forever.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

A good article about rocket sleds and the other early physical testing done in anticipation of space flight. There was also a PBS documentary on the subject.
    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexp...men-kittinger/

^^Thanks for the link. That was some crazy stuff happening back then.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Yes. And yes.

Edit: one day I will be able to start a pretty epic thread with all of the bullshit I’ve seen over the years.
    We need to share a beer some day. I've been in digital advertising since 2002... and yeah, I've been witness to some incredible BS over the years. Especially in the aftermath of one of my companies going IPO.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Ejection seat tests are no longer carried out with humans. The last pilot to ride a rocket-propelled sled was Col. John Paul Stapp, who earned the title “the fastest man on Earth” at Holloman on December 10, 1954, to a land speed record of 632 mph in five seconds: during the test, Stapp decelerated in 1.4 seconds, which equaled 46.2 Gs, the greatest g-load ever sustained by a man. His eyes were flooded with blood and although he regained most of his normal vision on the next day, he subsequently lost his eyesight forever.
    And thus Flying Monkey Mesa was born:

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65...-from-the-sled
    http://www.utahhumanities.org/stories/items/show/346
    https://heritage.utah.gov/history/uh...-hurricane-sam
    http://www.airfields-freeman.com/UT/Airfields_UT_SW.htm

I went through a transition from bullshit to working with my hands over the past couple years. This book really changed my life and is a nice read to follow up this article with.

Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matt Crawford. The writing is average but the concept really hit home for me. He kinda wafts between this academia speak and laymen terms, somewhat randomly, but its worth the read.

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Class-So...tthew+crawford
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I went through a transition from bullshit to working with my hands over the past couple years. This book really changed my life and is a nice read to follow up this article with.

Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matt Crawford. The writing is average but the concept really hit home for me. He kinda wafts between this academia speak and laymen terms, somewhat randomly, but its worth the read.

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Class-So...tthew+crawford
    Be interested to know what the previous BS work was and what the new hands on work is. I'm transition from BS to something else in three years. The pull of consulting in BS is strong because the money's so good, but the pull of hands on work is equally as strong because the it doesn't suck your soul out.

#vanlifers who actually earn a living blogging about #vanlifing.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    course marshal
    Where I play, we don't have enough.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    #vanlifers who actually earn a living blogging about #vanlifing.
    Any influencer making six figures, and there are a lot of them....

It's a never ending cycle. Beurocracies, customers, or the corporation itself create new bullshit requirements for completing the actual work. Bullshit positions are created to complete these requirements. These new bullshit employees push for more new bullshit requirements to justify their bullshit existence. And so it continues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

9-10 years ago I was lead attorney for the seller company/shareholders (2 classes of common + preferred shares) of a closely held corporation. Buyer was a large publicly traded corporation. Our team was comprised of 4 attorneys (me, patent attorney, FCC license attorney, foreign attorney). Buyer's team was 30+ attorneys. Yeah yeah, it was a complex transaction and a buyer often needs a couple more attorneys to do due diligence, but not 26 more. We wondered what the fuck 20 of the junior attorneys did (other than bill). I never learned what they charged. I image it was >10X what my team's fee.

My small business clients won't put up with that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Be interested to know what the previous BS work was and what the new hands on work is. I'm transition from BS to something else in three years. The pull of consulting in BS is strong because the money's so good, but the pull of hands on work is equally as strong because the it doesn't suck your soul out.
    Same here. I find my self wanting to do a job where I actually make something. And then I have to balance that out with what I can make doing my computer job.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    We need to share a beer some day. I've been in digital advertising since 2002... and yeah, I've been witness to some incredible BS over the years. Especially in the aftermath of one of my companies going IPO.
    Yes. I bet things got real weird around IPO time.

I've got one of those BS jobs...

I have a cow shit job

Six Sigma managers, now there's a bullshit job. Also guidance counselors in schools, those idiots are worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Also guidance counselors in schools, those idiots are worthless.
    True. if they were good at picking careers for people, why are they guidance counselors?

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Yes. I bet things got real weird around IPO time.
    My wife is a digital marketer in a company that just went public. Times seem to be strange for her.

Perfecta!

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    True. if they were good at picking careers for people, why are they guidance counselors?

POTD
    Sigworthy

My previous employer had someone on staff who was the "Director of Quality." She looked like Stewie from Family Guy and would often schedule "debriefs" after a meeting to drill down deeper on what was discussed in the meeting. That's right, a meeting to review what was discussed in the meeting we just had.

My job definitely isn't in the "bullshit" category, but there are plenty of people who would like to see it go the way of the dodo despite that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    used car dealer?
    Good one.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.