Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: bullshit jobs

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    You get used to the smell of shit in about a week. Another life lesson learned.
    I can attest to this. I've been working at a poop plant for 15 years. The smell isn't as bad as you'd think. In fact, the percentage of human waste in the influent is not very high. Think about washing machines, washing dishes, showers, industrial users. It's mostly dirty water. Once the influent is past the primary and definitely once it's past secondary treatment, the solids are long gone and it's just funky water.

In 1968, poop was only treated once and then settled out. Sewage came into the plant via an open cement lined ditch. My job 1st thing in the morning was to scrape TP and whatever off of the grate that kept and big stuff out of the plant. You don't think that they were pranking the dumb ass college boy?
    thnx Capt. Chuck Shunstrom

A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Probably not pranking you. They still have to clean the grates in the Headworks, but now it's done with a mechanical rake which places the solids on a conveyor belt and then into a dumpster (We get some interesting stuff in that dumpster). And it's all underground and contained. There's even an air exhaust scrubber that deals with the oder. But it's still low man on the totem pole that gets any Headworks duties. I've been in there. It ain't pretty.

bullshit jobs

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    You get used to the smell of shit in about a week. Another life lesson learned.
    With cat lady piss houses, your nose just stops accepting that smell after a while. It's just too brutal a smell so the nose/brain tries to block it out completely.