Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: bullshit jobs

All of em son
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

charlie work
    skid luxury

Robots will be doing these jobs soon.

That article hits a little too close to home

well compensated, with expanses of unclaimed time.
    Hey, that's me! I trade my time for money, and my wage is based on what I know, not on what I produce or create.

bullshit work is “a form of paid employment that is so completely pointless, unnecessary, or pernicious that even the employee cannot justify its existence even though, as part of the conditions of employment, the employee feels obliged to pretend that this is not the case.”

Nope, not me. I'm necessary, justifiable and in some cases required by law. I'm also expensive and industry is working hard to eliminate me.

My union is not nearly strong enough to protect my job in the face of technology and automation. My current position will disappear long before I can claim bullshit status.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

I am sure those "goons" are proud DD soldiers.

sign me up. been tryin to grab a toll booth gig for a while now.

I want this job that was in that article!:
    a while ago, a Spanish civil servant stopped showing up at the office, which was noticed only six years later, when someone tried to give him a medal for his long service
    That guy was inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I want this job that was in that article!:
    gots to move across the pond for those opps. I thought I had extreme vacation time until I started paying attn to europeans

on that note just rcv'd a speeding ticket from when we were in France this spring.
    we considered going digitaldeath style and not paying it, but then I recalled the reputation of the french bureaucracy and I want to go back to ski so will pay
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    gots to move across the pond for those opps.
    Estoy listo para eso.

on that note just rcv'd a speeding ticket from when we were in France this spring.
    we considered going digitaldeath style and not paying it, but then I recalled the reputation of the french bureaucracy and I want to go back to ski so will pay
    On the bright side, you probably won’t get any points on your license and your insurance company might not hear about it.

One developer he meets, Apollonia, had been kept busy working over reality shows with titles such as “Transsexual Housewives” and “Too Fat to Fuck.” None of these shows ever came close to airing.
    How disappointing.

Well, it has to go through the beauracracy of French speeding whatever, then they contact your rental company, which is probably knee deep in useless people pushing that violation from cube to cube, then it sits in the French mail service forever as it's juggled by ten useless people. So, yeah, Spring? Sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, it has to go through the beauracracy of French speeding whatever, then they contact your rental company, which is probably knee deep in useless people pushing that violation from cube to cube, then it sits in the French mail service forever as it's juggled by ten useless people. So, yeah, Spring? Sounds about right.
    it actually happened quite quickly given that we changed out address too and andrew's license was tagged to our old address so it had to get fwd'd.
    it was going down a big hill so I'm sure it's a super tourist trap
    skid luxury

I used to think of Italian bureaucracies as hopelessly inefficient piles of bullshit, until I got a letter by registered mail insisting on payment for a parking ticket from Prato, a tiny town outside Florence, years after I got the original citation. Thankfully they didn't ask me about it on subsequent trips to the country, though I'm wondering when the still-unpaid ticket will make its way up the chain and I find myself in the airport being denied entry.

Yeah yeah yeah. Life sucks and then you die. He who life's sucks least wins. The American way.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    gots to move across the pond for those opps. I thought I had extreme vacation time until I started paying attn to europeans

we got several from Italy--a couple for speeding caught by speed cameras (my wife didn't believe the GPS warning us of the cameras) and one for driving in a restricted area in the Val d'Aosta--where exactly I have no idea since the ticket was in Italian. Not paying was not an option--the rental company charged our card.

That article reminds me of a situation at my former company. Our purchasing manager managed to get systems in place, through his own initiative, that ultimately led to him no longer needing a purchasing agent who reported to him since he could now manage the functions by himself. Upon relieving the PA from their position, there was a lot of discussion from other departments stating that the PM should no longer be classified as a manager since he no longer managed any other people. Therefore, his title should be reduced along with his salary. I had to patiently explain that managing an important process can be just as much or more important than managing people, many of whom don't need to be managed (as noted in the article). I mean, WTF? The guy, through his own efforts, places a system that reduces expenses and other people in the organization thought he should get his pay and title whacked? It's thought processes like that that lead someone like my PM to not make the effort to improve processes. That's how we get bullshit jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    I used to think of Italian bureaucracies as hopelessly inefficient piles of bullshit, until I got a letter by registered mail insisting on payment for a parking ticket from Prato, a tiny town outside Florence, years after I got the original citation. Thankfully they didn't ask me about it on subsequent trips to the country, though I'm wondering when the still-unpaid ticket will make its way up the chain and I find myself in the airport being denied entry.
    Or the pope may be preparing a surprise for you when you show up at the pearly gates.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    That article hits a little too close to home
    You in the advertising biz? The bullshit in that industry, especially the digital part, is mind blowing.

bullshit jobs

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    You in the advertising biz? The bullshit in that industry, especially the digital part, is mind blowing.
    Yes. And yes.

Edit: one day I will be able to start a pretty epic thread with all of the bullshit I’ve seen over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    parking lot attendants at ski areas
    They certainly wouldn't be necessary if people knew how to properly park at ski areas. So much wasted space between vehicles...

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Yes. And yes.

Edit: one day I will be able to start a pretty epic thread with all of the bullshit I’ve seen over the years.
    You follow the Ad Contrarian?

Flowing Alpy, the parking lot attendants are badly needed. People park like they are the only ones going to the ski area that day with huge amounts of space between cars. I’ve seen people at Snowbird park people in without a clue also. Three deep rows don’t work well. Although most places could cut their staff in half, it’s a bit overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    parking lot attendants at ski areas
    For as many poor parking jobs as you take pictures of we might need more parking lot attendants.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    For as many poor parking jobs as you take pictures of we might need more parking lot attendants.
    Heh.