Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: College costs

The downside of the German system is that for a trade like cabinet making--one I've read about--you do a long apprenticeship and have to pass an exam before you can go into business. Similar rules for a lot of trades I believe. Obviously it pays off in terms of quality but I think a lot of Americans would not be happy in a system like that.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The downside of the German system is that for a trade like cabinet making--one I've read about--you do a long apprenticeship and have to pass an exam before you can go into business. Similar rules for a lot of trades I believe. Obviously it pays off in terms of quality but I think a lot of Americans would not be happy in a system like that.
    Of course not. Instant gratification society.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

More likely the germans want the professions to dictate the quality of the product, rather than the market.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Right. And as pointed out, the trade-off for that is providing a lot more "technical" training so that those that don't make the university track can have a skill. In Germany there's a wide range of programs between University and ditch digging.
    that sounds like a negative thing^^ when it is infered that students who "don't make " uni are somehow inferiour

it might mean they didnt wana go cuz they don't really like school so telling them academia is the be all and end all is BS, students should be able to start a trade in H-school which I understand is possible in Yurp

I read the "mount your own fucking ski" thread and see dentists who " didn't make" simple layout & working with hand tools
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Happy, as in actually held accountable for the work or job they are doing? Yeah, I can see that.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?

fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Happy, as in actually held accountable for the work or job they are doing? Yeah, I can see that.
    Basically there is an expectation in Germany that if you hire a Tradesman that they know wtf they are doing and you're going to get what you paid for, rather than our crap-shoot in the US. Those apprenticeships are very well paid and there is an expectation on the master to actually teach, rather than simply use the apprentice as cheap labor. Masters who accept apprentices can be held accountable for shortchanging their education. It's a very old system (ever heard of Guilds?) and used to be the norm even here until we lowered the value of the trades and thus the expectations of both the master and apprentice.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Our SAT exams are a joke if I scored as highly as I did. I consider myself perhaps of average intelligence, and I still scored a 1510.
    well you could dominate the stainless I/Q challenge.
    1510/1600, damn thatís much better than mediocre!
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

We're also the only developed nation where the standards of admittance are so pathetically easy. College is "free" in many nations because the academic standards are actually stringent. In Europe, don't quite make the grade? Well, you gotta pay. Want to go the University of Tokyo? Well, you better have been studying your balls off since birth to make it, let alone even get into a proper HIGH SCHOOL around there. Yeah. Crazy hard entrance exams. I think we should do those, then I'm pro "free college." Our SAT exams are a joke if I scored as highly as I did. I consider myself perhaps of average intelligence, and I still scored a 1510. If we had the academic standards of most developed nations universities, we'd see attendance drop by like 90%. Haha.
    True, but I don't see anything wrong with just smart people going to college.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

I can't agree with you more. Really pisses me off how our educational system places such little emphasis or notoriety in technical trades. One thing I admired about what I've seen in Europe, Japan, and other places is the value placed on skilled tradesmen. If you're a highly skilled woodworker in Scandinavia, you're a rock star who makes good money. I've seen plumbers and electricians in Germany who are as professional as any exec and do their jobs with utter precision. In Japan, they have the ideas of monozukuri and kaizen. Something we definitely don't see here. The level of pride you see from trash collectors to burger flippers is unbelievable. We could learn a thing or two, starting with respecting tradesmen more, which by the way, honestly can make more money than many degree-requiring white collar jobs. I say that as a broad generalization, but it's often true. I hope my kids follow their hearts and talents, whether they want to be a doctor or a plumber. Rock on!
    True

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    well you could dominate the stainless I/Q challenge.
    1510/1600, damn that’s much better than mediocre!
    Work has to be done mentally.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.