Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: College costs

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    We begged the in laws to buy us a house in Portland during grad school, then pay them rent. Seemed like to risky a deal for them. Condo in the pearl for 80k sold for 700k 4-5 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The capital has nearly doubled and we're getting 8% on average to live on now and for tuition in 2 years.

I went to college in Portland in the 70s when those crappy old Victorians could be had for 10-20k.

Moved out of Ballard/Phinney Ridge Seattle in the early 90s when housing hit the ridiculous 200k for an old bungalow with a view of the Sound.

Oh well.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

BTW, a close friend is the Dean of Admissions at the largest CC in Oakland. Remember, the diploma says where you graduate from. Some of my friend's kids who struggled, (I'd say half of all), prolly shoulda gone to a CC. (They woulda had a better transition instead of freaking out at no supervision.) We could not get our daughter to do that, but she did very well her Freshman year, so she was right. She also picked the cheapest place for whatever reason. Thank You mini-plug!
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

If I had another kid, whom happened to be of college age, s/he could attend my current employer free of charge. But I'm not aware of any more little Viva's. Anywho, get a job at your local state university. Problem solved.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Here at the university of Utah it’s 1/2 price. The “discount” is counted as income and taxed.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

I told my sons that mom and dad had screwed up/split up and there was no money so they would have to make their own way

the youngest did a 5 yr engineering program on scholarship/coop for zero $$$ and has been making lotsa money for many yars

the oldest did a high end trade which he left to run a high end ski/bike store of which I really approve

As the father of a Canadian DH mtn bike champ once said to me "change a few shitty diapers for a couple of years and it will all come back to you "
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

This thread is depressing. Please delete.

The title should be college ROI.

Too many teenagers enter college with no idea what they want to do with that $100k piece of sheepskin when they get done spending mom and dad hard earned money.

I'm a big fan of what my parents did for me. My grandparents had put what ended up being $3k into a college savings account for me. My parents said that if I wanted to go to school after high school, I could continue living at home rent free until I graduated. If I chose a school away from home I was on my own. They encouraged me to work, apply for every scholarship under the sun, and get a degree that would be worth the investment of my time & money.

After scholarships (most of which were from private industry association, not based on need, merit, or anything but my ability to write a half page essay and mail in a form on time) my degree cost $1500. The first two years were done at a local college, the last two were done out of the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    The first two years were done at a local college, the last two were done out of the country.
    Your country or the United States?

2 in Canada, 2 in the US. The main point was 2 years of local tuition, two of foreign tuition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Your country or the United States?
    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

I have twins in college now. This first year that just ended was kind of rough, the first school they went to (Lyndon St in VT) they hated and only stayed one semester, total cost for two kids for one semester was $34k. This was out of state tuition, books, room and food. They transferred to a NY State school (community college with dorms) for second semester and it was ~$25k but the dining hall was closed on the weekends so no food from late afternoon Friday until breakfast Monday so we had to pick them up and take them back every weekend. That sucked! Now it looks like they're going to go to a CT State school that's close to home and they'll get in-state rates because we don't have a community college in our county so the school offers this to the local kids. It's still going to run ~$30k/yr per kid. This college thing is such a fuckin' ugly racket it makes me sick.

If anyone has any free lift tix I'm all ears otherwise I probably won't be skiing for another few years

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Sorry to break it to you, BUT the the cost of the 10 years of skiing/coaching/academy/travel to reach the US Olympic team is still going to cost 2-3X what college will be.

So there's that going for them.
    Actually, if your kids are really bound for USST there is a good chance the academies will be free, etc.

I mean, you will still probably end up spending a lot of money, but the reality is that at least as far as the academies go it's the kids who won't make it who are paying to subsidize the kids who will...for the top kids the academies will fight over who gets to pay for them.

20 points and a free ride to Dartmouth--that's our plan!
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post

As far as a return on college, go ahead and head down the same old shithole of evaluating everything in terms of money.
    If you come up with a better way of evaluating everything you will have to let us know!

From extensive research I have conducted (exclusively on TGR), success in life is determined solely by how many exotic cars you are able to sell to nouveau riche southern shitheads on a weekly basis. With that in mind, I am taking this post to announce my intention to move to Mobile, Alabama and assume the position of shop lackey at JoBob's Exotic Car Emporium. When I have achieved financial success I will start a thread in the PR to belittle anyone I believe to be of inferior financial status.

When posting your accolades, please quote this post so I don't have to waste time reading posts that don't praise my plan.
    [quote][//quote]

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    If you come up with a better way of evaluating everything you will have to let us know!

From extensive research I have conducted (exclusively on TGR), success in life is determined solely by how many exotic cars you are able to sell to nouveau riche southern shitheads on a weekly basis. With that in mind, I am taking this post to announce my intention to move to Mobile, Alabama and assume the position of shop lackey at JoBob's Exotic Car Emporium. When I have achieved financial success I will start a thread in the PR to belittle anyone I believe to be of inferior financial status.

When posting your accolades, please quote this post so I don't have to waste time reading posts that don't praise my plan.
    Not hard to be more successful than losers like yourself Dex. Aren't you a ski instructor or something? Lmao. Setting the world on fire huh? Being a ski bum is cool in your 20s... Not so much in your 50s and 60s.

I could probably "work" a couple months and still do better than you.

I make more than most the people I went to college with. Selling used cars. That said... My brother makes more than me and they recently sold the company he was a partner in. He's a radiologist. (dumb fuck southerner)
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Not hard to be more successful than losers like yourself Dex. Aren't you a ski instructor or something? Lmao. Setting the world on fire huh? Being a ski bum is cool in your 20s... Not so much in your 50s and 60s.

I make more than most the people I went to college with. Selling used cars. That said... My brother makes more than me and they recently sold the company he was a partner in. He's a radiologist. (dumb fuck southerner)
    Wait, why are you responding to my post, and why are you not praising my (completely original) plan for riches?

I am going to have my driver pull the Maybach around to the front of the building so I can pose for a photo and put you in your place.

SAD! LOSER!

Don't you need to go down to the crik behind the house, y'all, and air out your balls or something? Heard it gits kinda humid in those there parts down south n'all!
    [quote][//quote]

Wait, why are you responding to my post, and why are you not praising my (completely original) plan for riches?

I am going to have my driver pull the Maybach around to the front of the building so I can pose for a photo and put you in your place.

SAD! LOSER!

Don't you need to go down to the crik behind the house, y'all, and air out your balls or something? Heard it gits kinda humid in those there parts down south n'all!
    Ski instructor.... Tell me Dex... How's your retirement acct looking?

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Sorry, guy--it seems like you don't get it. I actually pointed this out to you in that trainwreck thread you started, but it kind of indicates that there is something wrong with you/your life that you feel the compulsion that you keep demonstrating. Vibes.

If my insinuations hurt your feelings then I guess I apologize.

Take lap, beater.
    [quote][//quote]

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post

wouldnt that be dependent on the value one places on pursuing their passions and skiing almost every day?
    next youll tell me you show up to "work" everyday and never think
    fuck this shit i should be skiing today.
    aint gots skin kids but if i did i'd teach em
    # lifeskillsmatter
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Well SFB. I'd say the fact you don't have skin kids puts you in a much different place than me. I also have a a couple fur kids in tow at all times. Maybe three here soon.

My wants and desires are of not much importance. Especially one as selfish as skiing whenever I want.

Im grateful for a night of good music and beer.

Sorry, guy--it seems like you don't get it. I actually pointed this out to you in that trainwreck thread you started, but it kind of indicates that there is something wrong with you/your life that you feel the compulsion that you keep demonstrating. Vibes.

If my insinuations hurt your feelings then I guess I apologize.

Take lap, beater.
    Coping mechanism. Loser.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i fully realize that as i fully realize fishing and skiing the majority of the days in the year
    aint padding my retirement accounts or overflowing my life with material goods
    im just trying to get you to reciprocate the respect for the life others choose to live
    even if it aint as cool as yours
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

If money makes you happy, then it's only a vehicle to happy, which is the goal.

I have a different way of looking at it in that being interested in something or feeling that something is just so fucking cool, be it fishing or snazzy cars or equivariant g-bundles, that's what makes us happy. The money is just a side effect. The return on college is being interested in something and happy. Not everyone finds that in college and that's just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Hey dentists, what do you all think the cost of undergrad at a state school will be? Undergrad plus grad school? My kids are 10 years from hs graduation.

Given they will both have the healthy endorsements from olympic gold and us ski team success I don’t really need to put money away, but if I did, and wanted them to be debt free...what’s the number? Online calculators are all over the map

In-state for undergrad at the U is, what, about 10 grand per year these days? Maybe call it 12-15k by the time your kids are ready to attend. Obviously, you can knock that number down if you do two years at SLCC and then transfer. The ability to commute is also helpful as a cost control measure. It would be easy to have a $1500+ per month burn on living expenses if you can't live at home.

Obviously, grad school completely depends on what you study and varies from 30k per year or more at the full-time MBA, JD, MD programs to fully funded with 10-20k per year in RA stipends at most reputable PhD programs.

Personally, I plan to be done saving for retirement by the time my kids are ready for college. Then I can knock my AGI way down as I throttle back from work. Commuting to the U is pretty affordable and if they're Harvard material, grant money will be forthcoming. We plan to steer them away from second and third tier private schools if those choices come up. I don't think those places offer an attractive ROI compared to the U.

But what kind of car do you own, Buster, and how fat is your retirement account?

We can't judge you appropriately if you don't play the game by the rules Bobby has created.

We will accept photos of you inside said vehicle and a statement from your CPA as evidence.
    [quote][//quote]

Hey Dex and Bobby, can you take your lovers spat back to the used car thread? It’s embarrassing for you both.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

But what kind of car do you own, Buster, and how fat is your retirement account?
    I have a fleet of aging awd manual grocery getters.

Housewives sw00n as I motor by in patinaed moto gr00viness.

My bank account is bursting with love, silliness, still the occasional ball busting fuck and laughing with good friends.

Housewives and all other sentient forms of female life swoon around you, car or not. Let's be real.
    [quote][//quote]