Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: College costs

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I never discussed education with my parents until at 17 my mom said "we think you should become an electrician" which always reminded me of Jimmie Walker on all in the family telling Archie he was gona become an elect-tricin
    Your memory is faulty, XXX. Jimmie Walker was J.J. in "Good Times." You're thinking of Lionel, who was George Jefferson's son. He trolled Archie by saying he wanted to be a "'lectical engineer."

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    So, given that even a state school is over 20k/year, you're in favor of kids going into debt to go to college?

The post you quoted also supported parents paying.
    That was my post quoted, and I don't support parents paying, at least without the kids having any skin in the game. Randomly sending kids off to school, just because everyone else is doing it, just doesn't make sense. Sending kids out of state for a teaching degree, doesn't make financial sense (or other lesser paying careers). I feel that too many people are just paying for college just because they feel it is the right thing to do, or that the "Jones" are doing it. Many of these people also can't afford to send their kids to school

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Your memory is faulty, XXX. Jimmie Walker was J.J. in "Good Times." You're thinking of Lionel, who was George Jefferson's son. He trolled Archie by saying he wanted to be a "'lectical engineer."
    fucking google eh? I had to go from memory
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    fucking google eh? I had to go from memory
    No, I just remember my '70s TV!

Dyno-Mite!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

No, I just remember my '70s TV!
    yeah well i probably smoked more drugs
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Man, that is one expensive way for them to find something cool to be interested in! If you got the funds to let them do that then more power to ya, but personally I'd almost rather my kids take a couple years off between high school and college to "find themselves." Whether that be from doing volunteer work abroad, the military, maybe peace corp, or just hustling and struggling for a bit in the working world, it's up to them. I would not be opposed to them getting some world travel in for far less money than even a semester at community college. Haha. Would love for them to go see some of the 3rd world places I've been to, and hopefully do some positive things out there. Then hopefully after some time doing whatever they did, they'll have a better understanding of who they are, or who they'd like to be, and what they'd like to do. I'll be every bit as proud of them whether they choose to be a skilled blue collar worker, an engineer, or a doctor. I just want them to be happy with what they do, and be the best they can be at whatever that may be.
    Perfectly said.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

To be percise, I beleive that is the "first" Lionel.
    "Can't you see..."

I think gap years are great, doing other stuff like peace corp or whatever are great, but I think it's fucked up now that college is now so expensive that kids can't use that time to explore different subjects. I took a bunch of completely random stuff before I settled on a major. The strength of a liberal arts education is developing critical thinking skills a wide range of areas.

Have we covered community college yet? That’s where my kids will start if I have any say. Two years at a quality CC, then an easy transfer to ‘spensive college for the degree. VA makes it pretty painless. I seem to remember UT had a similar setup.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    To be percise, I beleive that is the "first" Lionel.
    Correct. Not to be confused with the first Darrin from Bewitched.

Are you guys saying Jimmie Walker was a Lionel (he wasn't)? Or making reference to the 2 guys who played Lionel (it was actually 3, according to the googles)?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    The ability to do so, and a conviction that education is the most important thing that you can buy, the best thing you can spend money on.
    +1
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Did all three Lionel’s fuck with Archie by only talking black lingo to him? Sort of like Barbara Billingsley speaking jive in Airplane?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Are you guys saying Jimmie Walker was a Lionel (he wasn't)? Or making reference to the 2 guys who played Lionel (it was actually 3, according to the googles)?
    No, XXX-er thought Jimmie Walker played Lionel, but he was incorrect.

I believe only one Lionel fucked with Archie.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Have we covered community college yet? That’s where my kids will start if I have any say. Two years at a quality CC, then an easy transfer to ‘spensive college for the degree. VA makes it pretty painless. I seem to remember UT had a similar setup.
    Yes. I mentioned it as a way to control costs while knocking out the pre-reqs here in UT. Others mentioned CA.

TN has free CC.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I believe only one Lionel fucked with Archie.
    And Lamont fucked with Fred.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    Well at least they got out before it became Northern Vermont University at Lyndon. Vermont's public higher education system is a mess. In an effort to reduce administrative costs, Lyndon State and Johnson State have merged to create the above mention NVU. Amd UVM is still one of the most expensive in state tuition schools to attend.
    Yeah we knew that was coming and kind of thought it would be a good thing. Unfortunately both schools are already dying so combining them into a slightly larger place that nobody wants to be won't do them any good. I'm amazed at how the enrollment number dropped in less than 2 years (half!), they had kids that would just disappear from class, pack up in the middle of the night and leave. I went through Castleton a few times and it was a hoppin' place compared to when I was there in the mid 80's and almost seems like a good place to be. UVM is outrageous. I agree that the state system in VT is a mess and I don't see a way out for them.

Send the kids to Europe, college is free, and in some countries, you can get all the classes in English

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Yes shred, over due for a float w sfb. Floating the Yampa starting Sunday but no hiking for me,developed a bad wheel. Somebody’s got to watch the river go by.....

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Too Much

I'm looking at like $400K for two kids if they go to private schools. Too much.

The whole system sucks and is broken. 529 is the best option imo. Buying a rental house is great, but you need the up front cash to put down. And the real estate market here is rediculous...homes are way overvalued. I would not be buying a house right now.

My kid received more aid from the private schools vs the public making it cheaper to go private or equal to an in-state. Of course NH has been number 1 or in the top 5 most expensive schools for the several years now. Just dumb. That one is over now. 2 more years and we're done with number 2.

Another first world problem story. Friends both went to Bowdoin, (Maine, $60K private). First 2 kids went to Bowdoin, 3rd wants to go, and Bowdoin is not giving any break on price.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    The whole system sucks and is broken. 529 is the best option imo. Buying a rental house is great, but you need the up front cash to put down. And the real estate market here is rediculous...homes are way overvalued. I would not be buying a house right now.
    I think a blanket statement like "529 is the best option" isn't good advice. Like virtually all financial advice, it's situation dependent. Which is not to say that 529s aren't good things and the best option for many people, but they most certainly are not the best option for me, because of my age (or more accurately, because of how old I will be when my kiddo is going to college).
    Last edited by Danno; 06-14-2018 at 04:16 PM.