Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Hardside samsonite spinner carry on - trips where I’ll be going car->airport->uber->hotel.

TNF duffel carry on - trips where the travel becomes more complicated.

Don’t be the douchebag that thinks their 60L backpack is a carry on. If it doesn’t fit perpendicular in the overhead bin, it’s not a carry on. When they make you gate check it, don’t complain, it’s your fault. When you get it back after gate checking it and it’s all fucked up because one of the three thousand straps got caught in the BHS conveyor, don’t complain, it’s your fault.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Don't travel as much, but I would never probably find a carry on that is hard sided and no outside pockets acceptable. So the idea of a set of 2, really need to have a carry one that either works with the bag you check (Swiss Gear has a few bags or backpacks that fit over the extendable handle on a soft or hard suitcase and stacked and will not fall off. Otherwise you want a backpack style (some have a set of straps that can be placed in the back pocket and then pulled out when needed) if you ever want a free hand and not carry it attached in some way to the bigger bag or a bag that at least is shoulder strap and can be carried separately without using just the handles. Otherwise it is some sort of luggage cart anytime you have a distance to go with the 2 bags. Some of the computer bag manufacturers have some nice stuff, but no clue as to how they hold up to road warrior use in the long term...

The problem with a carry on spinner is the wheels take away 3" of 22" max height of the bag. You wind up with 19" bag sitting on top of a 3" dolly. If you want a wheeled carry on get a 2 wheeled one with the wheels just barely coming out of the bottom.

I managed luggage stores in a previous life decades ago.. but post upright suitcase revolution. It's not so much a decision of hardsided or soft sided as a decision of which hardsided or which soft sided. Unless you're transporting eggs no reason to go hard sided for your mostly carry on. For a larger suitcase, hard or soft is mostly preference, again unless you're traveling with very expensive fragile things.

Soft sided should be NYLON, NOT POLYESTER. They look very much the same but a 750 denier nylon is five tines stronger than an 1800 denier polyester.

Hard sided material choices are ABS, polypropelane/polycarbonite, or aluminum$$$. The first two are comparably priced but the ABS is brittle and cracks and breaks way more easily.. It's thinner and vacuum molded. Poly-P/C is injection molded so they can make the corners thicker... and it's more flexible. Aluminum is for people who can afford to pay others to carry the luggage for them..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Back to life:

I need a suitcase or two. Got my Osprey carry-ons with the almighty guarantee and I love them, but more and more I'm flying southwest so I need checked bags, and my checked bags are shit - falling apart shit.

I want an approx 100L checked soft bag or two. What should I get? Would like something that will last. 2 wheels is fine, doesn't need 4. No backpack harness. Would prefer a bright, easy to spot color.

Thinking of going either Dakine Split Roller, based on Dee's recommendation, or Eagle Creek Gear Warrior Duffle. Or one of each.

What say the collective?

I've flown on Frontier and United in the last month or so. Both tickets had additional charges for even carry on luggage. I packed a weekend of clothes in a briefcase for the first trip and we had to check a bag between us for the second week-long trip (48lbs).

On all 4 flights there was plenty of room in the overhead bins as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I've flown on Frontier and United in the last month or so.
    Well there’s your problem…

I’ve had great luck with Dakine luggage over the years. I have the biggest split roller and it’s great but hard to keep under 50 lbs if fully loaded.

I've always had good luck with LL Bean duffles going back decades, the 120L roller duffle is hudge and I don't have any particular reason to think that recent quality is worse than it has been in the past. The big freakin' LL Bean logo is a new thing, though. Not a fan. Sale price is good, though: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1233...luggage&pos=21

edit and Dakine has been good too.

i take about a flight a month and unless you have something nearly every flight that's breakable; i'd go softcase as the expandability in mine is maxed regularly which you cant do on a hard case.

and my 2 cents on the sub topic of checking is i always check. takes a few minutes more but i'm never dragging a suitcase and going thru atlanta or Denver its worth it. if work didn't have me on call so much by laptop, all i'd carry would be a book to read during the flight.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I've flown on Frontier and United in the last month or so. Both tickets had additional charges for even carry on luggage.
    United charges for carry-ons now?

Eagle Creek has served me well - the combo soft top with hard bottom frame on 2 wheels. I wrecked one after 5 years of 60-80 flights per year.

Sent it for warranty and they gave me half off a new bag of my choice. That one is 4-5 years old and ready for replacement - we’ll see if they warranty a warranty bag.

The luggage repair shop that warrantied the first bag even let me keep the first one (not sure they were supposed to do that - could probably repair it for $100 - even then I’ve still flown with it a few times since then and it holds up)

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I hadn't heard that, but given how the checked baggage fees pushed everyone to start maxing out their carry-ons, it makes sense. Hell, carry-ons should have a higher fee than checked bags, would make the cabin experience much less of a pain in the ass.

Right. Make one bag of carryon sized luggage free to check if it meets the size limit. Makes too much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    i take about a flight a month and unless you have something nearly every flight that's breakable; i'd go softcase as the expandability in mine is maxed regularly which you cant do on a hard case.

and my 2 cents on the sub topic of checking is i always check. takes a few minutes more but i'm never dragging a suitcase and going thru atlanta or Denver its worth it. if work didn't have me on call so much by laptop, all i'd carry would be a book to read during the flight.
    Great plan until your shit goes on the wrong plane and ends up halfway across the country like happened to me last week.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Back to life:

I need a suitcase or two. Got my Osprey carry-ons with the almighty guarantee and I love them, but more and more I'm flying southwest so I need checked bags, and my checked bags are shit - falling apart shit.

I want an approx 100L checked soft bag or two. What should I get? Would like something that will last. 2 wheels is fine, doesn't need 4. No backpack harness. Would prefer a bright, easy to spot color.

Thinking of going either Dakine Split Roller, based on Dee's recommendation, or Eagle Creek Gear Warrior Duffle. Or one of each.

What say the collective?
    I really like TNFs base camp duffels. They make a large roller in the same material I would check out if I were you...

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I hadn't heard that, but given how the checked baggage fees pushed everyone to start maxing out their carry-ons, it makes sense. Hell, carry-ons should have a higher fee than checked bags, would make the cabin experience much less of a pain in the ass.
    See you used the words "makes sense" and that never flies (no pun intended) in corp america

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Luggage - hard vs soft case

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    Never check unless you have to. Travel light. I’ll do laundry on long trips to stay in a carry on. Get TSA Pre / Global so you spend as few minutes as possible in the airport. Checking takes more than “a few minutes”. And I’ve done a few projects at airports in my career and spent a considerable amount of time in the bagwell of major international airports. You don’t want to make a habit of having your belongings down there....

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I just go to costco and see what's the latest, I like hard sides but I (use to) travel international quite a bit so hard is requirement based on my use. its just got to hold my shit and not get smashed. my daily is the carry on costco hard side over head shit box. $39.95

10 day trip to Spain with one carry on and one personal item (small backpack) each worked very well. We did laundry on day 6, had meant to do it on day 5.

Patagonia black hole 40L duffel is a decent carryon for vacations if you don't have to have it on your back for long periods of time. You can probably find cheaper versions but the warranty and durability is worth it IMHO.

There are more fancy and expensive versions of the one bag carryon for vacations (Peak Design) if you want to get spendy.

I throw that overhead and have a small packable bag/backpack/tote that I put at my feet - that carries snack, book, headphones case etc - also doubles as daybag for excursions while on vacation.

One problem can be the need for bulkier clothing when vacationing in colder climates - but then you can just wear your jackets (insulation and shell) onto the plane and toss them up with your bag.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    If you just need a big bag (as opposed to built-in partitions, pockets, etc.) the Pattigucci Black Hole bags are pretty bomber. Comes in red and brown if the logo isn't visible enough for you.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/bl...rs/49387.html?

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Patagonia black hole 40L duffel is a decent carryon for vacations if you don't have to have it on your back for long periods of time. You can probably find cheaper versions but the warranty and durability is worth it IMHO.

There are more fancy and expensive versions of the one bag carryon for vacations (Peak Design) if you want to get spendy.

I throw that overhead and have a small packable bag/backpack/tote that I put at my feet - that carries snack, book, headphones case etc - also doubles as daybag for excursions while on vacation.

One problem can be the need for bulkier clothing when vacationing in colder climates - but then you can just wear your jackets (insulation and shell) onto the plane and toss them up with your bag.
    I’ve fit a 60L Black Hole in a CRJ-700 bin with ski boots, helmet, and enough stuff to ski for a day and also change into street clothes. Pack it wide n flat…

Current options are 40, 55, 70, or 100 (in the non wheeled options)

The 40L fits almost all domestic and international carryon limits.

The 55L can likely get into domestic bag checkers - but wouldn’t pass scrutiny on a lot of international flights.

But a lot of times the only scrutiny is on board when putting your bag into the bin - so as long as it fits (as yours did) you’re golden. I am impressed you fit that into a CRJ bin though!

If flying business or first then the bins are huge and there’s less people using them so you could probably put a 70L bag up there no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    If you just need a big bag (as opposed to built-in partitions, pockets, etc.) the Pattigucci Black Hole bags are pretty bomber. Comes in red and brown if the logo isn't visible enough for you.

https://www.patagonia.com/product/bl...rs/49387.html?
    Shit. My plane ticket was $367. Just over the cost of that bag. The 40L is what I need if I do any more casual travel. QQ: are the wheels replaceable or durable enough to last a lifetime? If so then that's a deal maker. I've shredded the wheels on a bunch of cheap rolling cases.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    They did on our flights.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Never check unless you have to. Travel light. I’ll do laundry on long trips to stay in a carry on. Get TSA Pre / Global so you spend as few minutes as possible in the airport. Checking takes more than “a few minutes”. And I’ve done a few projects at airports in my career and spent a considerable amount of time in the bagwell of major international airports. You don’t want to make a habit of having your belongings down there....
    This. Week long trips from the Caribbean to Paris done in nothing more than a small backpack and carry-on bag.

I just got TSA Pre this year and know it will be well worth the sub-$20/year fee. I probably should have signed up for Global Access instead for international flights.