Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Soft sides are more durable. I dislike spinner wheels. The old two wheel ones are much stronger, especially the ones with Rollerblade wheels.

Travelpro makes pretty good luggage at decent prices. There is a lot of garbage out there.
    This. I travel a shit ton and use a soft, two-wheeled travelpro with those rollerblade wheels. Can go over anything. Is light. What's also nice is the ability to expand it for trips where I might be bringing something home for the wife/kiddos.

My second piece of luggage is a backpack. One strap bags fucked up my back for too long. Even if I'm in a suit I use both shoulders of the backpack and am good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    This. I travel a shit ton and use a soft, two-wheeled travelpro with those rollerblade wheels. Can go over anything. Is light. What's also nice is the ability to expand it for trips where I might be bringing something home for the wife/kiddos.

My second piece of luggage is a backpack. One strap bags fucked up my back for too long. Even if I'm in a suit I use both shoulders of the backpack and am good to go.
    Single straps are evil.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Single straps are evil.
    Carried a single strap ski bag with 2 pairs plus packed with clothes on the scenic tour of the Geneva Airport to get to the shuttle. Thought my arm was wrecked. Google brachial plexus injury. Next trip was with my son, a competition weight lifter. I figured no problem, he'll carry the skis. He complained so much I finally broke down and got a wheeled bag.

I didn't read all of the above posts. I travel for a living. in 2017 I had 42 flights, shortest trip was 3 hrs round trip, longest trip was 116 days. Summer clothes, winter clothes, cross season packing, ski gear, bike gear, you name it.
    I'm in the soft case camp. I have a good collection of Dakine luggage. Everything from 120L, 100L, 80L split rollers, to small carry ons and expandable carry on rollers. I also use Dakine ski bags. All rollers.
    Quality soft luggage will last the pounding the airlines (actually its not the airlines that handles your bag, but a contracted luggage company) put your bags through.

Hardside samsonite spinner carry on - trips where Iíll be going car->airport->uber->hotel.

TNF duffel carry on - trips where the travel becomes more complicated.

Donít be the douchebag that thinks their 60L backpack is a carry on. If it doesnít fit perpendicular in the overhead bin, itís not a carry on. When they make you gate check it, donít complain, itís your fault. When you get it back after gate checking it and itís all fucked up because one of the three thousand straps got caught in the BHS conveyor, donít complain, itís your fault.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Don't travel as much, but I would never probably find a carry on that is hard sided and no outside pockets acceptable. So the idea of a set of 2, really need to have a carry one that either works with the bag you check (Swiss Gear has a few bags or backpacks that fit over the extendable handle on a soft or hard suitcase and stacked and will not fall off. Otherwise you want a backpack style (some have a set of straps that can be placed in the back pocket and then pulled out when needed) if you ever want a free hand and not carry it attached in some way to the bigger bag or a bag that at least is shoulder strap and can be carried separately without using just the handles. Otherwise it is some sort of luggage cart anytime you have a distance to go with the 2 bags. Some of the computer bag manufacturers have some nice stuff, but no clue as to how they hold up to road warrior use in the long term...

The problem with a carry on spinner is the wheels take away 3" of 22" max height of the bag. You wind up with 19" bag sitting on top of a 3" dolly. If you want a wheeled carry on get a 2 wheeled one with the wheels just barely coming out of the bottom.

I managed luggage stores in a previous life decades ago.. but post upright suitcase revolution. It's not so much a decision of hardsided or soft sided as a decision of which hardsided or which soft sided. Unless you're transporting eggs no reason to go hard sided for your mostly carry on. For a larger suitcase, hard or soft is mostly preference, again unless you're traveling with very expensive fragile things.

Soft sided should be NYLON, NOT POLYESTER. They look very much the same but a 750 denier nylon is five tines stronger than an 1800 denier polyester.

Hard sided material choices are ABS, polypropelane/polycarbonite, or aluminum$$$. The first two are comparably priced but the ABS is brittle and cracks and breaks way more easily.. It's thinner and vacuum molded. Poly-P/C is injection molded so they can make the corners thicker... and it's more flexible. Aluminum is for people who can afford to pay others to carry the luggage for them..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!