Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Luggage - hard vs soft case

Honestly I check bags all the time. If you are prepared for what will happen if your stuff doesn’t show then the occasional mishap shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Just never check anything you need day 1.

And yeah, global entry is the way to go. Worth the money ten times over

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    And yeah, global entry is the way to go. Worth the money ten times over
    Global Entry and access to Amex and Priority pass lounges seriously improved my travel life.

Osprey makes a good two-wheeled soft side duffel - the wheels are super burley. I use Patagoo Black Hole for carry-on. I don’t feel the the need for hard side stuff.

If I’m checking a bag that means I’m carrying lots of stuff - therefore I prefer wheeled luggage - therefore it’s gonna have some structure to it - I prefer the soft top on a frame vs a fully rigid suitcase. (non-wheeled duffles if flying into a lodge by helicopter)

If I’m going carryon only that means I’m not bringing much stuff - nor do I plan on having my carryon on my back for prolonged periods of time - so a simple duffle (patagonia black hole 40L) eliminates the weight of wheels and frame - also is more compressible. Don’t need added padding on the back panel or the shoulder straps either - I’m past the age of backpacking/hitchhiking through tropical countries.

The worst was checking bags while city hopping through Europe - once the bag was delayed (I flew - the bag didn’t) it didn’t catch up to me until I was long since back in North America. Then to add insult to injury the bag got run over on the tarmac and $2500 worth of stuff was ruined - airline compensated me the full amount though.

NEVER check your boots (or bike shoes). Carry on everything you can't do your trip without. Boots, helmet, goggles, gloves, ski pants, base layers and beacon will let you salvage a trip with missing skis a lot easier than not.

"I'm sorry we removed your ski bag because the aircraft was overweight. You'll get your bag tomorrow night. What? You needed those at skis and skins for a tour tomorrow? Not to worry, well we'll cover a 1 day rental at Gapey-McGaper-Face's Carving Ski Emporium that is only 50 miles out of your way." -Southwest Airlines RNO
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    NEVER check your boots (or bike shoes). Carry on everything you can't do your trip without. Boots, helmet, goggles, gloves, ski pants, base layers and beacon will let you salvage a trip with missing skis a lot easier than not.

"I'm sorry we removed your ski bag because the aircraft was overweight. You'll get your bag tomorrow night. What? You needed those at skis and skins for a tour tomorrow? Not to worry, well we'll cover a 1 day rental at Gapey-McGaper-Face's Carving Ski Emporium that is only 50 miles out of your way." -Southwest Airlines RNO
    Gospel truth there

For duffels tnf or patagucci duffels are the best. Hard to wear out. Semi waterproof if you have to bungee to the car roof.
    They also have shoulder straps.
    Insta backpack.
    A heavy checked bag with wheels sucks on uneven ground.

For carryon you need spinner wheels. Why the fuck was that not invented years ago?? So much more convenient rolling down the airport hallways.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Gospel truth there

For duffels tnf or patagucci duffels are the best. Hard to wear out. Semi waterproof if you have to bungee to the car roof.

For carryon you need spinner wheels. Why the fuck was that not invented years ago?? So much more convenient rolling down the airport hallways.
    Yes, however as stated, you lose a few inches for those spinners. Thats another pair of jeans and a sweater, approximately. Or an extra pair of sneakers.

AC used to leave skis off every flight in here during ski season becuase the Dash 8/ 300 as configured could not carry all its luggage so there could be a 1200$ heli load of BC skis going into the local hut the next day as skis caught up with the skiers, same things happened with hunting and fishing gear

on the way to Niseko AC left my buddies gear off the flight out, fortunatley it caught up

The freight problem got fixed when they went to the Dash 8 model 400 which also had better avionics to land in shittier weather

I carry-on my boots in a 40L ski pack which is also all the room I need for travel on a non ski vaca
    Last edited by XXX-er; 06-12-2021 at 11:22 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

the reason you need spinning wheels and a handle and a frame for your carryon is the weight of the bag - which is mainly caused by the wheels and the handle and the frame.

If you can't carry your clothes and your ski boots on your back from the curb to the plane maybe take up another sport like knitting.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    AC used to leave skis off every flight in here during ski season becuase the plane as configured could not carry all its luggage so there would be a 1200$ heli load of BC skis going into the local hut

on the way to Niseko AC left my buddies gear off the flight out, fortunatley it caught up

It got fixed when they went to the Dash 8 model 400 with better avionics to land in shittier weather

I carry-on my boots in a 40L ski pack which is also all I need for travel on a non ski vaca
    My daughter just loved those Dash 8s out of Fredericton to Montreal when she came home from uni for Christmas break.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    the reason you need spinning wheels and a handle and a frame for your carryon is the weight of the bag - which is mainly caused by the wheels and the handle and the frame.

If you can't carry your clothes and your ski boots on your back from the curb to the plane maybe take up another sport like knitting.
    Heh. My carryon is a backpack with boots gloves beacon and goggles.
    But the rest of the family has spinners.
    My backpack is also my backcountry pack. Double winning.

PS. Spinners aren’t for the weight. It’s for casually pushing the load. While sipping a mocha latte double shot whatever that my wife is drinking
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Heh. My carryon is a backpack with boots gloves beacon and goggles.
    But the rest of the family has spinners.
    My backpack is also my backcountry pack. Double winning.

PS. Spinners aren’t for the weight. It’s for casually pushing the load. While sipping a mocha latte double shot whatever that my wife is drinking
    I can double fist mocha lattes with my duffel on my back.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Eagle Creek has served me well - the combo soft top with hard bottom frame on 2 wheels. I wrecked one after 5 years of 60-80 flights per year.

Sent it for warranty and they gave me half off a new bag of my choice. That one is 4-5 years old and ready for replacement - we’ll see if they warranty a warranty bag.

The luggage repair shop that warrantied the first bag even let me keep the first one (not sure they were supposed to do that - could probably repair it for $100 - even then I’ve still flown with it a few times since then and it holds up)
    Eagle creek is going away this year: https://outsidebusinessjournal.com/b...qwDxRGBQvVw_y4

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Global Entry and access to Amex and Priority pass lounges seriously improved my travel life.

Osprey makes a good two-wheeled soft side duffel - the wheels are super burley. I use Patagoo Black Hole for carry-on. I don’t feel the the need for hard side stuff.
    Patagonia black hole 40L vs Osprey transporter 40L? Noticeable durability difference? Osprey is a lot less pricey.

I've not fondled that particular Osprey bag but I bet the durability is just as good as Patagonia's.

If you can fit a pair of skis in an overhead bin more power to you. Have you considered touring with snow blades?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    If you can fit a pair of skis in an overhead bin more power to you. Have you considered touring with snow blades?
    RAX SKIS BRO! RAX SKIS! EASY SKIING = RAXING!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

back in the day I was sitting in a boarding lounge when a stylish woman in a suit with the fuck me pumps went tap tap walking towards the ribbed flooring of a ramp towing her wheeled case, when her case hit the ribs it made a fart sound

the business men who have obviously seen this before all clapped on cue without looking up from their reading material, twas very funny
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Eagle creek is going away this year: https://outsidebusinessjournal.com/b...qwDxRGBQvVw_y4
    Well damn. Makes that lifetime warranty not so valuable, doesn’t it…

So now I’m going Dakine Split Roller or Osprey Transporter.

Thinking Osprey Shuttle 100L. Pricey, unfortunately.
    Last edited by EWG; 06-11-2021 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Patagonia black hole 40L vs Osprey transporter 40L? Noticeable durability difference? Osprey is a lot less pricey.
    I haven’t noticed a difference, if there is it won’t be significant. Osprey stuff is bomber.

Bummer about Eagle Creek.

I have a backpack that is like 20 years old from them. Bomber zippers, padding, etc.

It was my school bag from 8th grade through college and then took on day pack status. Still gets used from time to time.