Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I don't think I've ever traveled where I couldn't leave luggage and not have to schlep it around all day - leave it either at the airport, or dropped at hotel or airbnb or wherever, prior to check-in, or leave in the rental car.
    Common scenario for me is checking out of the hotel in the morning and I have a flight to another destination later that day or night. Yeah, I could leave the bags at the hotel, but then that ties me to go back to that spot in the city to retrieve them. And I could drop them at the airport, but most cities airports are a ways outside of town. Both of those options cost me time that I could be exploring.

the 40L bag you carry on arrives with you which is important up here cuz Air Canada runs a Dash 8 which can't carry its passengers and their luggage so they always leave checked baggage off the plane ... skis, guns, fishing gear ect
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I average 2-3 flights a month. For work travel I almost exclusively use a travel pro suit carrier. I typically bring 1-3 suits, shirts, pants, etc. then running and workout clothes. No chance I could fit it all in a carry on. I have a travel pro carry on with 2 wheels that is great for shorter work trips. If traveling to ski, I go with a waterproof duffel with backpack straps.

First question in the luggage decision matrix is how long are you traveling for and what are you bringing.

^^^ I was going to post something like this. When I travelled like crazy I brought a suit and/or sport coat etc. The maximum carry-on wheelies were the way to go. You pick, 2 or 4 wheel. For some reason the trend is for the 4 wheel style right now. If I travel now and aren't bringing nice clothes, I still sometimes bring the wheelie 'cuz it's easy to move around. Big wheeled duffles filled to 50 pounds are the norm for us as a family on vacations.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

my memorable moment with the wheeled suitcases was in a boarding lounge where a very stylish woman in a suit was clicking by, when she hits a ribbed section of flooring her suitcase makes a very loud fart like noise.

This must happen to them every week cuz on cue 2 doz business men do a golf clap without looking up and go on reading their paper

I don't travel on business, usually 3 weeks max so a 40 L ski pack carries enough and is big enough to put my ski boots in, for a ski vaca I use a big duffle with stowable shoulder straps

Problem with most suitcases that can't be used as a carry on is they already weight 7 to 10 lbs.
    Got lucky and found a clamshell bag that has a soft top and hard plastic bottom frame with wheels. It only weights about 3lbs.
    Before that I would used a duffle bag with a large plastic container in it for toiletries and stuff that couldn't be squished like extra goggles as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    This should be obvious, but it's probably something you wouldn't really think about until you buy one: the spinner bags won't sit still if there's any kind of slope, whereas a two-wheeled bag will. To me this is a point in favor of the two-wheeled bags. I can't fathom buying luggage without wheels in this day and age.
    Ya. However, having dragged both around, I found a spinner a lot more useful navigating DB trains than having my bag sit still. And yes, I did want it to sit still a few times when it wouldn't. The need for the spinner was greater.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the 40L bag you carry on arrives with you which is important up here cuz Air Canada runs a Dash 8 which can't carry its passengers and their luggage so they always leave checked baggage off the plane ... skis, guns, fishing gear ect
    That's why you fly hawk air...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TGR Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

The wife got some fancy Saks Fifth Ave luggage. Pretty nice looking and well made too. However after a few trips I reverted to a sturdy Cordura zip duffel bag. I have a nice Filson Pullman, but that screams "...steal me...I'm loaded with stuff you want..."

I’ve got at least 15 years on a Patagonia Burrito Suiter tri-fold carry on, and its awesome.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    That's why you fly hawk air...

sure but in spite of the fact they suck air canada has the all important affliations with other big airlines so I can fly from Smither to most anywhere in the world on one booking directish which I can't do that with Hawkair, they are not even really on the radar, I'm not even sure if they fly out of the main terminal at YVR ?

my memorable moment with the wheeled suitcases was in a boarding lounge where a very stylish woman in a suit was clicking by, when she hits a ribbed section of flooring her suitcase makes a very loud fart like noise.

Someone who interprets random noises as farts is either 11 or has serious developmental delay.

Or, is a guy.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Someone who interprets random noises as farts is either 11 or has serious developmental delay.
    Wrong !
    Very normal

hey that stretch of flooring really did sound like farts,

ever since then i 've kept an ear peeled but never heard the same sound effect

I bet those guys all sat in that same lounge every week, heard the fart noise and did the group golf clap

sure but in spite of the fact they suck air canada has the all important affliations with other big airlines so I can fly from Smither to most anywhere in the world on one booking directish which I can't do that with Hawkair, they are not even really on the radar, I'm not even sure if they fly out of the main terminal at YVR ?
    Unless the changed back they do, which sucks. You used to be able to roll in a few minutes before your flight, bypass all the main terminal traffic, and get on your plane. When they moved to the main terminal all that went away.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

I like the semihard (ie hard base) roller duffels with burly rollerblade wheels that also have zip-away backpack straps.

I can wear it if I'm hoofing it around a place with a lot stairs, cobblestones, or mud (not that these are good backpacks, but way better than a shoulder strap or a handle)
    I can roll it in the airport and the sidwalks
    I can collapse it if it isn't full or I have tight accommodations (especially think sleeping in a bunk room or car/van)
    I can usually lash other gear or smaller packs to it for rolling/wearing

High Sierra has hide-away backpack straps on all their wheeled duffels and their stuff is cheap without being crap:
    https://shop.highsierra.com/duffels/wheeled/
    Last edited by Summit; 06-11-2018 at 03:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I have had really great luck over the years with Dakine rolling luggage. I have a couple of bags that are 10+ years old and are still going strong. One of them I had to retire because it is now too big to carry on. Got another Dakine to replace it and have had the same good experiences with it. I’m not easy on luggage either.

I always prefer the two bigger wheels to four wheels. I like to be able to roll over things like curbs, rocks, snow, etc. four wheels seem nice of you are always in airports and hotels and never anywhere else.

I'm currently on a three month trip in rural India with a large hard(ish) suitcase, a larger soft suitcase, a softside carryone, a 38 L backpack, and a school backpack.

Some advantages of the hardside bag that haven't been mentioned already:
    1. It's almost totally waterproof. Tape the seams and you don't need to worry about anything short of submersion. That matters to me as we're often traveling in small cars with luggage on the roof here.

2. It folds open in the middle. This is both good and bad. It's bad because it's easier to dump a side trying to close it even with the mesh/straps,but nice if you're living out of it in the same place for a while and are sliding it open under the bed like a set of drawers. The soft suitcase is deeper (so harder to get to the bottom of) and won't fit under nearly as many beds.

3. Mildly more protective, but I don't think it's a huge deal when the soft case is fully packed.

Downsides:
    1. I really like the outside pockets of my soft case.

2. It's heavy compared to the soft side luggage.

Now, why do I need so much luggage? Well let's take a look at what was packed in the big suitcase for our last leg:
    Name:  IMG_20180611_100128.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  140.6 KB

Longterm travel with a toddler...

That made me chuckle. And reminded me of one my middle kid was five. I took him to Florida to visit my grandmother. He was very excited to go and wanted to pack all by himself. His toy stuffed lizard went in the elastic "x" inside the lid of his Thomas the Tank Engine suitcase. I wish I had a picture. We of course had to pack the essentials for him because to him that meant an extra shirt and about 20 of his favorite books.

For carry on it’s hard to beat a spinner. Recently upgraded all our carryons from old 2 wheelers. It’s just too convenient with a hot coffee, computer bag, standing in tsa lines, etc.

For checked luggage, mostly use north face or Patagonia haul bags. Waterproof, rip proof and have shoulder straps. The minute you add wheels, you lose valuable weight and risk going over 50 pounds.
    Plus, I pack webbing straps and can strap them on a roof even in the rain.

I have a wheeled check bag that I have not used in years. A haul bag with shoulder straps is so much easier to cover uneven ground, stairs, curbs, etc.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Soft sides are more durable. I dislike spinner wheels. The old two wheel ones are much stronger, especially the ones with Rollerblade wheels.

Travelpro makes pretty good luggage at decent prices. There is a lot of garbage out there.
    This. I travel a shit ton and use a soft, two-wheeled travelpro with those rollerblade wheels. Can go over anything. Is light. What's also nice is the ability to expand it for trips where I might be bringing something home for the wife/kiddos.

My second piece of luggage is a backpack. One strap bags fucked up my back for too long. Even if I'm in a suit I use both shoulders of the backpack and am good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    This. I travel a shit ton and use a soft, two-wheeled travelpro with those rollerblade wheels. Can go over anything. Is light. What's also nice is the ability to expand it for trips where I might be bringing something home for the wife/kiddos.

My second piece of luggage is a backpack. One strap bags fucked up my back for too long. Even if I'm in a suit I use both shoulders of the backpack and am good to go.
    Single straps are evil.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Single straps are evil.
    Carried a single strap ski bag with 2 pairs plus packed with clothes on the scenic tour of the Geneva Airport to get to the shuttle. Thought my arm was wrecked. Google brachial plexus injury. Next trip was with my son, a competition weight lifter. I figured no problem, he'll carry the skis. He complained so much I finally broke down and got a wheeled bag.

I didn't read all of the above posts. I travel for a living. in 2017 I had 42 flights, shortest trip was 3 hrs round trip, longest trip was 116 days. Summer clothes, winter clothes, cross season packing, ski gear, bike gear, you name it.
    I'm in the soft case camp. I have a good collection of Dakine luggage. Everything from 120L, 100L, 80L split rollers, to small carry ons and expandable carry on rollers. I also use Dakine ski bags. All rollers.
    Quality soft luggage will last the pounding the airlines (actually its not the airlines that handles your bag, but a contracted luggage company) put your bags through.