Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    The AiC Unplugged album is probably my favorite of that series.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Johnny was straight edge. And he ran the show. Commando.
    Johnny was a pothead. Straight edge is not even cigarettes, no booze, no weed.. And usually Vegan too
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Well, relatively speaking. The punk scene was a cesspool of junkies and drunks.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, relatively speaking. The punk scene was a cesspool of junkies and drunks.
    Gosh, you say that like it’s a bad thing.

Ian McKay was straight edge and fucking hardcore.

NY Dolls? Might as well go back to Iggy, MC5, and The Sonics...

It all goes back to "Louie, Louie"

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    NY Dolls? Might as well go back to Iggy, MC5, and The Sonics...
    Yup.

Jack White vs Kurt Cobain: Discuss

Kurt. Jack wouldn't exist otherwise. And Incesticide is Nirvana's best album. In Utero a somewhat close second.

Foo fighters suck. Jack White has some good stuff. I've seen him twice, but early stuff was better.

Goddamn did I love listening to this song while high in my high school years.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hWNjQD7FNXQ

And this one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DtT7YCh9aeI

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Who wasn't? I was playing the Long Island and NYC music clubs in the mid to late 80s. The Ramones were huge NYDs fans..

Mud Club, Danceteria, CBGB, Spit...

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Cobain did more heavy lifting. Some of us are too young, and some forget how dominant (stifling) hair-based rock was before Nirvana.
    FIFY.

Cobain did more heavy lifting. Some of us are too young, and some forget how dominant (stifling) blues-based rock was before Nirvana.
    Guess I listened to different music than you. Pixies, Sonic Youth, X, Dinosaur Jr., Fugazi, Hüsker Dü, etc. all predate Nirvana and certainly weren't blues based bands. If anything they laid the groundwork for Grunge to flourish.

https://youtu.be/_XI1DD_vJuY RIP Vinnie Paul, solid metal drummer, dead at 54.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Saw JW on ACL once. Couldn't make it through one song, just a bunch of fucking noise and skreetching. Fucking horrible. Haven't looked at the dude the same again.

Mud Club, Danceteria, CBGB, Spit...
    Knitting Factory, Lamore East (and West), February's, Sparks, Ritz.. A friend's band played a short lived club on the top floor of One Times Square. Club was called... ironically, "Nirvana". It was like a dinner theater with tables and food served at 8 then moved the tables and bands playing with the NYC skyline view windows behind the stage as a back drop. And the entire floor below was the VIP lounge where pretty much anything goes. Sooo fun hanging out there..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I'm in the age group for growing up with grunge. Nirvana other than a few tracks is just meh. Far prefer White's stuff. I miss Soundgarden much more. The Pixies rule over them all.

Just to give other options:

Mix - The Pack A.D. - "Making Gestures": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KnpM...=RD4KnpM8k86Po

Love those ladies! Sleater-Kinney/Black Keys love-child.

And Clutch as well!
    Last edited by scrublover; 06-24-2018 at 02:34 AM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    I would completely flip what you just said. Cobain is simple, punk-rock like/ same three chords in every song.

On the contrary, watching JW play live, especially with no one but Meg on stage with him, shows you how much he's actually doing and its pretty fucking amazing to watch.
    I saw the White Stripes live in 2005 or 2006, right after Get Behind Me Satan was released. The talk around Get Behind Me Satan was all about how the White Stripes were using more (than 2) instruments and creating more layered sound. That being the case, I expected that they would have some extra musicians for the tour to play everything. Nope. Jack White just bounced around the stage like a mad man playing everything but the drums.

I recognize Nirvana's greater influence and I like them well enough, but I prefer Jack White's stuff, particularly with the White Stripes. I have liked some of his post WS stuff, but none as much.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    My favorites of that time are/were the slower acoustic versions.

Awesome version of an awesome song.

Nirvana is the reason Soul Asylum’s most commercially successful album sold at least 6x the Replacements’ most commercially successful album. In terms of influence and impact this one’s not close.

As to who is better, that’s a matter of personal taste. There is no objectively true answer to that question.

I feel like Bob Mould, Paul Westerberg, J Mascis, and Charles Michael Kittridge Thompson IV are four sides of the same underappreciated coin.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I saw the White Stripes live in 2005 or 2006, right after Get Behind Me Satan was released. The talk around Get Behind Me Satan was all about how the White Stripes were using more (than 2) instruments and creating more layered sound. That being the case, I expected that they would have some extra musicians for the tour to play everything. Nope. Jack White just bounced around the stage like a mad man playing everything but the drums.

I recognize Nirvana's greater influence and I like them well enough, but I prefer Jack White's stuff, particularly with the White Stripes. I have liked some of his post WS stuff, but none as much.
    Yeah, I think that is when I saw them also. I was blown away by the sound he produced with Meg on drums. One of the best shows I've seen ever. I also agree with the WS stuff being his best product to date, but he is constantly evolving as a musician. Definitely a crazy mind inside that head of his. No fucks given.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Not sure what bands you are talking about, but there are a fuckload of new bands out there that sell out huge arenas, certainly more than the Foo Fighters do.

Also don't remember who posted about the Raconteurs, but Jack White played many instruments (vocals, guitar, keyboards, organ, piano, stylophone, mandolin,) not just Rhythm guitar. Shit, the guy even played the Drums in Dead Weather. Talent wise he is far above Cobain IMHO. The fact that he can switch between all the musical styles as well is just the proof in the pudding.

Come on Benny - I hate it when you play stupid.
    My comment about JW in the Raconteurs wasn't that he didn't have talent, but that he was wasting it.
    Live Free or Die

Yeah, I like all of the raconteurs individually, but like most supergroups, collectively I find them kinda meh.

Whoever said Cobain = more influential, White = more talented was right. The rest is just personal taste.

Nirvana filled a gap that wasn't being served in most markets when those markets were ripe, sick of hair metal. Back to punk, but with metal efx instead.of clean reverb. Rhythm and vocals.solidly punk.

https://youtu.be/s92smjLq_38

Doesn’t get much better than this. IMHO, LOVE Nirvana, but that band was holding Dave Grohl back. History will show he is a legend if you aren’t a believer already.