Page 6 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    why?

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    i find this hard to believe
    Nice!

i give lots of fucks about lots of things but god isn't one of them. i was never raised in it and it has always seemed like a version of insanity to me. honestly, i have never cared, except for a brief moment when i wanted to date the baptist minister's daughter.

Pics?

Does a bear litter in the airport?

Now, that is an existential question that needs to be answered.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I thought the distinction was that atheists do believe that there is no god. Regardless of justification don’t atheists believe what they think?

I’m not religious, so I don’t really have a strong opinion either way. Just seems to me they act a lot like the same people they criticize.
    This is like next level Schrodinger's matrix. Now the cat is seen alive. But is it OK to believe the cat is alive?

10/10 - Dumb Thread

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post

thank gawd my folks didn't raise me in any gawd-oriented framework.
    I was a cradle Catholic and have absolutely no regrets about it. I am glad I was raised a Catholic and had the opportunity to study under the Jesuits. There is much about the practice of the faith, the ritual, that I still find appealing (and I love the architecture of the cathedrals) however I no longer have faith. I would say I grew out of it. Too many questions with answers that just didn't make sense. In a weird way it's almost as if the Jesuits gave me that freedom of choice with their free-thinking teachings by letting me know it's okay to question.

<shrug>

Yes, I'm an atheist. I do not believe there is a God, any God. To me the universe is random and I'm okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Again, semantics.

To me, and historically a lack of belief in any god is agnosticism

When you emphatically and affirmatively deny there is no possibility of a higher consciousness, that is atheism. Maybe you are hung up on the term god?

Science is great, but to make science your religion is odd.

There is much that science can not yet explain, but it exists, and I’m not talking spirituality, I mean science cannot explain everything in nature, and yet it still exists and can be measured, just not modeled
    Yeah, it is semantics. I use the literal definitions, without God for atheism, and without knowledge for agnosticism. I am as without God be it Christian, Zues, or FSM. Not only do I not have knowledge of any other the three, logic and reason lead me to dismiss all three. Like I said, agnostics are just atheist lite. Have a fucking back bine and stand up for something. I assume you have no knowledge of pick dragons in your garage, but I hope you are man enough to stand up and say there are no pink dragons in your garage until the evidence says otherwise. If you open your garage door, and there is a pink dragons there, then by all means change your beliefs.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

That mother fucker must laugh his ass off when he goes home at night.

A televangelist wants his followers to pay for a $54 million private jet. It’s his fourth plane.

During his request for a new plane, Duplantis said he realized some people would remain skeptical.

He said there was no obligation, and there was only one surefire way to determine what exactly God wanted them to do: pray.

“So pray about becoming a partner toward it, if you like to and if you don’t, you don’t have to, but I wish you would,” he said. “Because let me tell you something about it, it’s going to touch people. It’s going to reach people. It’s going to save lives one soul at a time …

“If you pray about it, I believe God will speak to you.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    What I took from Buster's point relates to tolerance. A nation of 'free people' that refuse to respect neighbors based on sect - what could go wrong?
    Blasphemy!

Science is great, but to make science your religion is odd.

There is much that science can not yet explain, but it exists, and I’m not talking spirituality, I mean science cannot explain everything in nature, and yet it still exists and can be measured, just not modeled
    You ever stuck your head through a Schwarzschild surface and just looked around?

The fact that you don’t understand the English language explains your confusion.

Lack of belief in A is different than belief that A does not exist.

LACK

Look it up
    Are you Donald Trump?

You are arguing against the point that was the opposite of what you thought it was, or maybe the reverse of that...

either way - you aren't not wrong, or are just plain wrong...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

“If atheism is a religion, then not playing baseball is a sport.”

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    “If atheism is a religion, then not playing baseball is a sport.”
    Well played sir, well played.

Saw this posted by one of the smartest scientists I know. I think it belongs here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 8.28.08 PM.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	450.4 KB 
ID:	238443

pfft, scientists made that up to get more grants.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Saw this posted by one of the smartest scientists I know. I think it belongs here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 8.28.08 PM.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	450.4 KB 
ID:	238443
    How high do you think the scale on the y should go for an average human if that's % of all there is to know? I want to guess between 10^-(10^10) and 10^-(10^10,000), but adding 7 spatial dimensions makes my head hurt.

The claim that atheists are certain of the non-existence of a superior being is a straw man. Richard Dawkins, who's the gold standard for "militant atheism" in a lot of people's minds, doesn't even take that position. The main difference between different stripes of non-believers is how much or how little attention they're applying to the issue.

And there's no particular militancy about it for most people. Non-believing is increasingly the norm, particularly if you include people who associate with a religion purely on a cultural basis. Young people, especially, are abandoning religious institutions in droves.

I don't need to justify my non belief in whatever it is you think runs the show, anymore then I have the slightest concern your fearful feral mind has conjured up to explain things bigger then yourself. Have a great weekend. On Sunday, I'll be out hiking in my local church.

Sent from my XP7700 using TGR Forums mobile app

Glad you got it covered.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Bootlicker
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    As far as suspect responses go, here it goes:

I'm convinced we are in a 'quantum responsive universe'

The natives called prayer, the scientists describe it with Bells Thereom / double slit. Is it a wave or partical?

Am I having a thought and universe is responding or is the universe about to do something and I'm predicting?

Creating or clairvoyance

For example ; im biking down paved path the other day. I see a person way up ahead walking to me. At a certain distance I start to try and recognize their face (living in a small town and all) I come to the conclusion it is so and so...

I get close and see that it is complete stranger. 30 seconds later I see another person in far distance and think nothing of it. Get closer and see it is person I had thought of just before.

Happens all the time in a multitude of forms.

Years ago I wanted to buy a pen. I stood in the office supply aisle at store and looked at selection.

There were .99 and $3 and $5 and $7 or so.

I really liked the looks of the $7 one but being on a budget i figured id better be frugal and went with the $3 pen

The next day my buddy and I were pushing DH bikes up through forest on side of random mountain not near any trail.

I noticed thing on ground under leaves. It was exact same pen as $7 pen from day before but different color.

I yelled to my buddy all excited and ended up keeping pen for a few years.
    Hahah

So you’re a genie
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

PM Bertrand Russel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.