Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    It's possible to make a case either way. I pretty much think the universe lead us here but that it's possible to step outside of the matrix.

Free will is something for philosophers to argue about, not people.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    It's possible to make a case either way. I pretty much think the universe lead us here but that it's possible to step outside of the matrix.
    It's also possible that your "will" would never have come around in your present form had your parents not met in the times and circumstances they did (and their parents' theirs...), no?
    So much "chance" involved in how you even arrived, much less turned out, no?

Be good to your daughters. So much of the order of things is selected by teenaged and young 20s girls...

Mary Anne and Wanda were the best of friends
    All through their high school days
    Both members of the 4H club, both active in the FFA
    After graduation Mary Anne went out lookin' for a bright new world
    Wanda looked all around this town and all she found was Earl

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    It's also possible that your "will" would never have come around in your present form had your parents not met in the times and circumstances they did (and their parents' theirs...), no?
    So much "chance" involved in how you even arrived, much less turned out, no?
    Yeah I get it but still in this instant, in this "present" that we have, I maintain it is me who decides whether I want a coke or a pepsi from the gas station cooler.

Yeah I get it but still in this instant, in this "present" that we have, I maintain it is me who decides whether I want a coke or a pepsi from the gas station cooler.

Yeah, Steal Your Face. "Bam! You're in the moment, man!"

But what gas station? Where? Why not a bigass can of Booty Sweat and a Bust A Nut bar?

The past put you there in that moment and dictated every choice you think you have. You can't get Booty Sweat. If you had free will, you could have Booty Sweat free of the need for it to be nonfiction and chilled and delivered to a gas station on a road someone else thought they thought of before you were born.

Anybody define god yet? Post # ?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Look my main tenet is we have no fucking idea what's going on so I'm not going to write some tortuous defense of my personal concept of free will, if it's just an illusion I'm okay with that. If that matters.

I'm of the opinion that the only way to go about life is as if I had some free will.
    Can't get around that either, heh.

Look my main tenet is we have no fucking idea what's going on so I'm not going to write some tortuous defense of my personal concept of free will, if it's just an illusion I'm okay with that. If that matters.
    It's the Matrix man... the Matrix....

It seems kind of natural to understand that 'the matrix' includes other people, whose will would be as free as yours. Your choices don't need to be free of influence by others' choices to be your own. It should be the opposite, if anything: why bother choosing anything if the next guy can undo it with his 'free will?'

Or maybe everything is predetermined, and that pesky quantum entanglement problem is an illusion. If we're all so free, how come nobody has figured out how to live with predestination yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    How does you parse 'the past' from prior decisions?

How do you?

Try to be a little clearer.

All-knowing God knew the number of hairs on your head before he created the universe. He knew what you would do and when you would do it before He put you on earth.
    Where's the "free will" in that?

"God orchestrated"? God Created.
    God created The Debbil, God created your children. God created the tornado that tore up the trailer park and the Flood that killed the dinosaurs and giants.
    Name me a single person place or thing in the Universe that God didn't create.
    Just because God knows what you will choose doesn't mean you aren't making a choice of your own free will. God merely has a full understanding of all the variables that influence your "choice". ... and thus the decision you make and results of that choice..

In other words, just because you got played doesn't mean you didn't make your own choice.. It means the game was rigged but you still played it using your own free will to made decisions in a rigged environment..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I'm of the opinion that the only way to go about life is as if I had some free will.
    Can't get around that either, heh.
    Well here is a combination of individuals that I would gladly join for a weekend bender.
    At first glance, interesting combo. At second, even more.

Probably would end up with copious amounts of alcoholic beverages consumed, couple of (small) calibre firearms discharged (for fun), things barbecued, Nietzsche quoted and nowhere gone in the end.

Honestly.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    It seems kind of natural to understand that 'the matrix' includes other people, whose will would be as free as yours. Your choices don't need to be free of influence by others' choices to be your own. It should be the opposite, if anything: why bother choosing anything if the next guy can undo it with his 'free will?'
    Your range of "free choices" is entirely determined.

Or maybe everything is predetermined, and that pesky quantum entanglement problem is an illusion. If we're all so free, how come nobody has figured out how to live with predestination yet?

"QuantumGod is watching you fap"

Your range of "free choices" is entirely determined.
    Of course. Though, to be fair, if the biggest limit is imagination that still lands on you. And choice refers to you picking between the choices, freely. They're not unlimited. So what?

Of course. Though, to be fair, if the biggest limit is imagination that still lands on you. And choice refers to you picking between the choices, freely. They're not unlimited. So what?

Your range of choices are entirely determined by the past. Your imagination doesn't have a fucking thing to do with it, except for stacking turtles. You can't do a fucking thing about it, so just take care of your little garden, as Candide said to that dumfuk Pangloss.

Your limited imagination probably removes 90% of your possible choices from those that history has left you with. But obviously your choices were limited before that. Obviously.

Why does this matter so much to you? Does a limited range of choices stand as proof that you aren't God? What's the relevance?

Lost track, jojo? Tell us the black hole story again. I like it better than the one about the talking snake.

Are you actually unaware that there have been (are) sects of Christianity that subscribe to determinism? Navel gazers on both sides of any larger question have been coming down on both sides of this little distraction forever. But sure as you can steer a train, you can change your fate. So carry on.

Trains don't always stay on the rails.

Are you actually unaware that there have been (are) sects of Christianity that subscribe to determinism? Navel gazers on both sides of any larger question have been coming down on both sides of this little distraction forever. But sure as you can steer a train, you can change your fate. So carry on.
    an analogy is not a proof

You dislike the Giants' train? I mean, technically, you can steer a train, it's just hard to do it while riding in one.

I appreciate the ULLR and the offerings he requires

Sent from my SM-G930F using TGR Forums mobile app
    i dont kare i carnt spell or youse punktuation properlee, im on a skiing forum

Trains don't always stay on the rails.
    Ozzy Osborne stylee?

There is definitely evil in the world.
    And satanists.

Alister Crowley, Thelema, etc.
    google it and it’s a hell of a rabbit hole, particularly as it ties into classic rock
    . . .