Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Love how this thread brought out all the old heads and even rontele got a pm
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I got a similar line from people after all the shit that has happened to me recently. "Wow, your guardian angel is really looking out for you." My reply has been, "I wish he would have intervened a little earlier and prevented my house from burning, or the car from crashing." Seems to me he's not doing a very good job.

And, fuck god if this is all his plan. It's enough to make me not believe in god if he is such a vindictively little fuck.
    I say the same. Why such a dick in the first place?

Did skoug weigh in yet, haven't read middle of thread lol. God taking care of muzzies. What a dumbass

Your God sucks if it has to put guns in the hands of kids and ship them overseas to shot and get shot by other kids. I mean really sucks. The worst.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Nah and nah, unless you're making up your own definitions

If you hold belief in abeyance, then you don't believe, yes?

I used to think the discovery of alien life would somehow be the "come to Jesus" moment for the believer sheeple to actually come to common sense.

Now I realize they are so seasoned in circumventing logic that they would use alien life discovery to justify even further how powerful the gods are to have created multiple worlds.

Once I started to realize this I lost hope in any great coming to our senses moment for humankind.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

nurture

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Religious people are told they are hardwired to believe in bullshit. It must be true, because some of them believe it.

They're just taught to be credulous at an early age.

I knew there was a reason I liked scooby doo so much when i was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I used to think the discovery of alien life would somehow be the "come to Jesus" moment for the believer sheeple to actually come to common sense.

Now I realize they are so seasoned in circumventing logic that they would use alien life discovery to justify even further how powerful the gods are to have created multiple worlds.

Once I started to realize this I lost hope in any great coming to our senses moment for humankind.

What if one or more of these aliens created our galaxy and everything but not the rest of the universe. Are these local chumps still gods? Either way, if such alien entities existed I'd equate them to abusive parents and don't deserve any following whatsoever

BTW as should be obvious to most of us, the percentage of ‘mericans that have essentially an atheist worldview is much higher than simplistic survey techniques reveal. https://www.google.com/amp/s/fivethi...e-thought/amp/

Recent surveys have found that only about one in 10 Americans report that they do not believe in God, and only about 3 percent identify as atheist. But a new study suggests that the true number of atheists could be much larger, perhaps even 10 times larger than previously estimated.

The authors of the study, published earlier this year, adopted a novel way to measure atheist identity. Instead of asking about belief in God directly, they provided a list of seemingly innocuous statements and then asked: “How many of these statements are true of you?” Respondents in a control group were given a list of nine statements, such as “I own a dog” and “I am a vegetarian.” The test group received all the same statements plus one that read, “I do not believe in God.” The totals from the test group were then compared to those from the control group, allowing researchers to estimate the number of people who identify as atheists without requiring any of the respondents to directly state that they don’t believe in God. 1 The study concludes that roughly one-quarter (26 percent) of Americans likely do not believe in God.
    I’ve posted this link before but it bears repeating.

My many years in Australia exposed me to the concept that many highly established religions eg Church of England didn’t seem to mind if higher ups in the Church—-who by definition had a somewhat academic approach to these topics—-sorta leaned Atheist. There would be jokes about ie it’s hard to have smart people not lean Atheist.

Based on his statements, I get the sense that the current Pope, while not Atheist, has a great deal of respect for anyone that closely considers ethical and moral concerns with and without a formal religious context.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

The trend lines are down, so cheer up.
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/05/1...ve-in-god.html

The youth will be our salvation.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezerSteve View Post
    Per classic definitions, you sound more agnostic than atheist.

The classic shorthand definitions:
    -- an atheist denies the existence of a deity
    -- an agnostic denies the knowledge of a deity

T. H. Huxely, who coined the term "agnostic," observed:

So maybe it’s all semantics.
    Seems many people calling themselves atheists are not adamant there is no higher consciousness, just using a different term.
    And mostly rebelling against established and evangelical thumpers.
    I get that for sure.

As for the hullabaloo about “militant”
    Yeah, I was not really implying a godless militia, or atheist missionaries.

Just my term for the absolute refutation that I see here and in other forums and web comment sections.

We are all so bizzarly defiant of the laws of entropy.
    Look at your hands. Can you explain that by random association of energy particles, molecules, enzymes, and evolution?
    If it looks like random matter, take some hallucinogens and try to answer the question again.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nStick View Post
    BTW when in deep shit, I always tell God I am his humble servant and I will continue to do good things for mankind and this planet if we can just move an inch. I have received these blessing and continue on my mission to do good.
    Doesn't explain the unanswered prayers of far more humble servants though.

Or no doubt your own unanswered prayers... those must have happened too... I'd assign more thought to them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I don’t care if you want to read and chant and sing nonsense till the cows come home....when you start making public policy because God this and Jesus that and because ol Joseph Smith said so, then I get that little militant tingle at the base of my trigger finger.

In Ulysses, James Joyce says something to the effect that to be an atheist you actually have to believe. I wish I could find the quote.
    I don't think there are too many militant atheists.
    I think there are a lot of people who are militant against organized religion--which is basically a system that allows some men to dominate others--and especially against people imposing their religious beliefs on others.
    Most people who don't believe in religion but who do claim to be "spiritual" describe a higher power or inexplicable force or whatever you want to call it that is so vague as to be meaningless. In order for "god" to be a meaningful concept it has to make a difference.

"You cannot petition the lord with prayer!" James Morrison

We are all so bizzarly defiant of the laws of entropy.
    Look at your hands. Can you explain that by random association of energy particles, molecules, enzymes, and evolution?
    If it looks like random matter, take some hallucinogens and try to answer the question again.
    Take some college thermodynamics and try to answer the question again.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...logy/tree.html

Name:  atheists.JPG
Views: 566
Size:  40.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Take some college thermodynamics and try to answer the question again.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...logy/tree.html
    This...there's a fuck load of energy pushing the system uphill. Someday in a few billion years that energy may run out, but then it will be a moot point.

The second coming of the great prophet Zarquan better hurry.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

No seriously, 432 is interesting as far as numbers go.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=WJhKXq2GoUY

... And interesting argument for 12-60 counting system.

The argument for god or not reminds me of chemtrail arguing.

Hard to say you really know unless your uncle is a chemtrail pilot and brags about it drunk at thanksgiving dinner. Then again he might be highly trained psy-ops guy trying to throw you off the truth

Porter Rockwell park in Draper UT. Used to drive past that one on the way to work.
    Cool, you named this nice park after a mass murderer who made his name by killing the non-believers. Kinda makes a man feel sorta militant...you know, being in a valley of a million people who want to go back to those good old days when I’d either have to join up with the nonsense-chanters or be murdered by their hero Porter Rockwell.

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    Anyone ever had an atheist knock on thier door in an attempt to convert them?
    Picking up the dry cleaning, putting on that hair tonic and headin’ to your neighborhood any second beotttch

Oh good evening ma’am, my name is Not Relevant and I’d like to talk to you this evening about Not Being Retarded.”

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Humans are hardwired to need to believe in a religion. For some, that religion is atheism.
    Oh fer fuck’s sake. I thought TGR was a place we could safely avoid such lightweight ‘insights’.

But then again, TGR is where any thread remotely related to mountain town dating will include a ‘the odds are good but the goods are odd’ post as if it were a fresh joke.

I'm here to post in this very important thread...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Oh fer fuck’s sake. I thought TGR was a place we could safely avoid such lightweight ‘insights’.

But then again, TGR is where any thread remotely related to mountain town dating will include a ‘the odds are good but the goods are odd’ post as if it were a fresh joke.

Go easy on'em, froh. Religion is probably the only thing that stops him from raping and taking and mass shootings 'n shit.

How is that lightweight? Or any more so than any other opinion in this thread?

Granted I’m not a religious scholar, or an anthropologist, but go to any civilization in any time at any spot in the globe and they believe in something bigger than themselves.

When people believe in something they tend to have militant factions.

Tell me how atheists don’t fit into this? How does this not show humans are predisposed to this thinking?