Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Heres's the problem unique to 'merica: All my worst choices are listed here:
    1) Becoming a federal firefighter after 9/11
    2) Buying a (modest, small) house that I then couldn't afford when I was layed off in 2008...and had to sell at the low market value when the only job I could find was 12 driving hours away.
    3) Going to college, which leaves me with a $200/mo anchor for the rest of my life.
    4) Moving back to my hometown as my mother becomes elderly.

All of those things have fucked me over. They shouldn't, they should have been the right thing to do....it's only because we have awful politics that reward selfishness and slimy scuzzy behavior that we all constantly have to choose between watching out for ourselves and doing the right thing. It's gross, and it's not changing, and the gamut of various specific ways that general trend expresses itself in peoples' individual lives is why 'merica is so collectively troubled. We're thoroughly committed to a system where, functionally, on a day-to-day, real-world level: conscientiousness is weakness, sense of duty makes one vulnerable to exploitation, conventional wisdom and public education is consumerist manipulation, and most of the people running things are, to one degree or another, on the narcissistic and/or psychopathological spectrum.
    well said

Thread question answered...you're welcome

Cue reference to long river in Egypt in 3...2...1...

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...307-4/fulltext

Name:  Suicide-rates-in-Colorado-regression-analysis-2007-2015-with-title.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  whymedassnoppose-e1489000899343.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  65.1 KB

Marijuana-related suicide is a controversial topic because other websites include commenters who claim marijuana saved their lives. Pot interferes with the reward center of the brain, just like cocaine, alcohol and heroin. So when someone dependent on the drug doesn’t have it, their depression or anxiety becomes stronger than previously. After prolonged use, the brain eventually doesn’t function as well.

For this reason, it’s much wiser to rely on yoga, counseling, walking, and other exercise for depression and anxiety. (Others will say that anti-depressants are safer, although we won’t actually endorse them, and don’t think they’re always necessary.)

suicide-risk
    Source: Christine Miller, PhD

Marijuana increases the risk for psychosis more than any other drug. Marijuana is not the panacea the pot industry wants you to believe.

What Conditions Increase Suicide Risk?

Daily marijuana use below age 18 is connected to 7x the risk of attempted suicide before age 30.

In today’s world, students have huge problems and challenges even if they don’t abuse substances. Marijuana is the most likely drug of abuse for teens. Any substance abuse –marijuana, alcohol, opiates, other drugs or a combination – generally makes the depression more difficult to overcome.

The town of Pueblo, Colorado has had an alarming trend of suicides among its teens, at least five this year. Although local officials link these deaths to bullying, Pueblo is infiltrated with marijuana and other drugs. Dr. Steven Simerville, head of pediatrics at a Pueblo hospital, has spoken about the connection between marijuana and teen suicide. In October, 2016, he said that all but one of teens who attempted suicide had THC in their toxicology reports.

A few years ago studies showed that 28% of all high school students are depressed. There are plenty of reasons for teens to be depressed in this society: hormonal change, social pressure, relationships and academics. The social media adds a layer of complication to the problem with cyber bullying. When a teen becomes an adult, additional challenges emerge, and for some, entry into adulthood is jolting.

Family relationships and community connection are important. With support systems, many youth go through the rough patches and come out stronger. It’s a reason that government needs to protect our youth, educate against marijuana and stop legalization.

From the Moms Strong website, provided by Dr. Christine Miller, PhD

Suicide is Increasing Above National Rate in Colorado

The opposite is occurring in Colorado. Suicide rates in Colorado have reached all-time highs, according to a recent report by the Colorado Health Institute. Each one of Colorado’s 21 health regions had a suicide rate higher than the national average.

Those old enough to go into dispensaries can see how the pot industry advertises marijuana to treat depression or anxiety. Dispensaries prey on the vulnerable. For veterans and those without a job, it’s hard to resist.

When the pot industry tells us that “no one ever died from marijuana,” they’re being dishonest. There’s a popular strain of marijuana called Purple Suicide. There’s also a line of vape pens called Suicide Girls, specifically marketed for using honey/hash oil. Makers of the vape pens and marketers of Purple Suicide are onto something: marijuana use increases the suicide risk.

When they assert the numbers of those who die from alcohol each year, please ask who is tracking deaths from marijuana. Maybe it is time for the CDC to start tracking marijuana-related deaths. Please read Part 3, The Common Element.

^^^Humm. Let's look at tests for substance abuse in suicide victims and see what that shows...

https://www.drugrehab.com/guides/suicide-risks/
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I agree with golden gate.

As a habitual weed smoker since 15.

Weed is not the problem solver unknown great drug people are making it out to be.

I can see a lot of bad with it. But I do see some good. The good isn't overwhelming compared to the bad.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

well you would know

That took longer than I thought it would. I can see you there...fingers in your ears...chanting nananananananan I can't hear you...

Me thinks you doth protest too much. Go have a smoke. Chill dude...

lolol

Some of your articles discuss correlation with legalized pot. That has nothing to do with this discussion. Suicides fell in one group...perhaps they couldn't think straight enough to be effective while stoned...makes for great driving and skiing safety and skills as well no doubt.

Another says "However, there is one caveat. Extremely heavy cannabis use among men does seem to correlate with an increased risk of suicide. In light of this Naji says there is still more work to be done before scientists can conclude whether that finding is causative or merely coincidental.

"Our study is both timely and relevant, especially in light of the impeding legalization of recreational cannabis with an expected increase in access in Canada, and there remains uncertainty about the full effect of cannabis on those living with psychiatric disorders."

But researchers did find three factors that do increase the risk of suicide.

"While there was no clear link between cannabis and suicide attempts, our findings did show that among participants with psychiatric disorders, having a mood disorder or being a woman correlates with an increased risk of suicide attempt," Naji added."

This is a weak attempt to break the link between pot use and suicide. But it doesn't for those of us who can think for ourselves.

One article is about crime, another opiods. We're not discussing crime and opiods here.

Fact of the matter is statistics show increased pot use indicates a higher propensity for suicide.

Of course if I used your argument about firearms, your argument would be 180 degrees opposite and everything should be banned and confiscated. But that's a different thread.

SSRIs = higher suicide and violence
    Increased pot use = higher suicide rates
    Violent video games = higher violent tendencies

But ya'll don't want to change those habits...so it's OK to continue status quo.

What 'ev.

Ignore to your heart's content...less I have to hear from whiny replies. Though others will reply and you'll see me in those posts. HA!

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Pretty tough to quantify with stats. Pretty much every weed smoker I know isn't lending their usage data to any research facilities.

I will say as someone who used to puff tough and someone who has several friends/acquaintances who are smokers it is startling how many smokers are hopelessly addicted to weed.

I know way too many people who lose their shit if they run out before getting stocked up again. Addiction to weed is a real thing, and it's definitely a problem for many many people.

It's not that hard to see lower alcohol sales and decreased opioid deaths after legalization.

GGS thinks a study that shows correlation also shows causation.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post

I know way too many people who lose their shit if they run out before getting stocked up again. Addiction to weed is a real thing, and it's definitely a problem for many many people.
    It's a real thing but for most it's WAY more short term and temporary compared to alcohol and harder physically addictive things. Almost out of weed is real anxiety and minor panic. Totally out of weed is minor depression for a day or two but usually no big deal after that. ... until the first couple tokes again after getting more when you're again thinking that's the only way to truly view the world clearly and everyone not using that is missing out bigtime..

Again, as posted above, it's the other shit that makes people suicidal, definitely not weed...

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    That took longer than I thought it would. I can see you there...fingers in your ears...chanting nananananananan I can't hear you...

Me thinks you doth protest too much. Go have a smoke. Chill dude...

lolol

Some of your articles discuss correlation with legalized pot. That has nothing to do with this discussion. Suicides fell in one group...perhaps they couldn't think straight enough to be effective while stoned...makes for great driving and skiing safety and skills as well no doubt.

Another says "However, there is one caveat. Extremely heavy cannabis use among men does seem to correlate with an increased risk of suicide. In light of this Naji says there is still more work to be done before scientists can conclude whether that finding is causative or merely coincidental.

"Our study is both timely and relevant, especially in light of the impeding legalization of recreational cannabis with an expected increase in access in Canada, and there remains uncertainty about the full effect of cannabis on those living with psychiatric disorders."

But researchers did find three factors that do increase the risk of suicide.

"While there was no clear link between cannabis and suicide attempts, our findings did show that among participants with psychiatric disorders, having a mood disorder or being a woman correlates with an increased risk of suicide attempt," Naji added."

This is a weak attempt to break the link between pot use and suicide. But it doesn't for those of us who can think for ourselves.

One article is about crime, another opiods. We're not discussing crime and opiods here.

Fact of the matter is statistics show increased pot use indicates a higher propensity for suicide.

Of course if I used your argument about firearms, your argument would be 180 degrees opposite and everything should be banned and confiscated. But that's a different thread.

SSRIs = higher suicide and violence
    Increased pot use = higher suicide rates
    Violent video games = higher violent tendencies

But ya'll don't want to change those habits...so it's OK to continue status quo.

What 'ev.

Ignore to your heart's content...less I have to hear from whiny replies. Though others will reply and you'll see me in those posts. HA!
    There is no link between violent video games and real world violence. https://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-even...d-video-games/

There are also plenty of studies that show giving people an outlet for vices reduces crime related to that vice. E.g. prostitution reduces rape- https://journalistsresource.org/stud...-rape-holland/

I see no reason why violence in video games can't be a similar outlet for people.

It seems like you think you've got the world all figured out, but you are unwilling to actually read any research or sources that prove you wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    ...it's only because we have awful politics that reward selfishness and slimy scuzzy behavior that we all constantly have to choose between watching out for ourselves and doing the right thing. It's gross, and it's not changing, and the gamut of various specific ways that general trend expresses itself in peoples' individual lives is why 'merica is so collectively troubled. We're thoroughly committed to a system where, functionally, on a day-to-day, real-world level: conscientiousness is weakness, sense of duty makes one vulnerable to exploitation, conventional wisdom and public education is consumerist manipulation, and most of the people running things are, to one degree or another, on the narcissistic and/or psychopathological spectrum.
    Very well said, J.

The US is now a get-rich-or-die country. If you don't have a massive safety net you are permanently vulnerable to exploitation and to losing everything, including your health. I've either been fucked over or watched other people get fucked over in almost every single hourly job that I ever worked. Wage theft, the company jumping through hoops to deny legitimate workers comp claims, not providing proper safety training and equipment, illegally classifying workers as contractors to avoid paying for benefits, illegally classifying hourly workers as salary to avoid paying overtime, having minimum wage underage kids working jobs they aren't legally allowed to work because it is cheaper. No one in those positions had the financial resources to push back and there was no accountability or government oversight to remedy those issues.

These aren't just my experiences. These are the jobs that most people work. These are the experiences that most people have. You speak up, you get fired and lose everything. Good luck litigating, no one is going to take your case and you can't afford an actual, decent lawyer.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    It's a real thing but for most it's WAY more short term and temporary compared to alcohol and harder physically addictive things. Almost out of weed is real anxiety and minor panic. Totally out of weed is minor depression for a day or two but usually no big deal after that. ... until the first couple tokes again after getting more when you're again thinking that's the only way to truly view the world clearly and everyone not using that is missing out bigtime..

Again, as posted above, it's the other shit that makes people suicidal, definitely not weed...
    Herb is definitely the best alternative to harder drugs and booze. That's pretty clear.

Also, i'm no scientist, but I don't see THC/CBD itself causing depression at all.

I think the problem is that weed has become falsely accepted as a panacea. I know several people, myself included at one point, who legitimately believe that I just need to keep huffing and everything would eventually be OK and I was gonna just magically get un-depressed, etc.

There are lots of people out there with real behavioral and mental problems that could be solved with CBT, counseling, making big changes in their lives, etc that will never get better or address their problems honestly and with a clear head because they are just getting high around the clock or downing CBD oil all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Pretty tough to quantify with stats. Pretty much every weed smoker I know isn't lending their usage data to any research facilities.

I will say as someone who used to puff tough and someone who has several friends/acquaintances who are smokers it is startling how many smokers are hopelessly addicted to weed.

NSFW

I believe that happiness that doesn't come from sacrifice dilutes your capacity to be happy.

Unhealthy food, alcohol, weed, social media, wackin' it, etc. All produce a high that you didn't pay in advance for.

Life's going to be good, and life's going to be bad, nomatter what. When people let life choose their bad by succumbing to their vices, it is a feeling of debt you can't escape that you never wanted to owe in the first place.

The better things get, the harder it is to be disciplined, the worse it can be. Would be interested to see how 3rd world country suicide rates compare when the stakes for survival are higher.

Also, not trying to be holier-than-thou, I succumb to the vices above regularly

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLanTheman View Post
    weed.... produce a high that you didn't pay in advance for.
    Lemme get in on that free weed.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

the problem is you take someone who has depressing anxiety whatever
    instead of addressing their problems: insert counseling, pharmaceuticals, exercise
    they decide to smoke dope every day and self medicate
    the dope is not going to solve their problems and help them, in most instances it will make them worse

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Lemme get in on that free weed.
    Ain't nobody rides fo free, you know the price

I believe that happiness that doesn't come from sacrifice dilutes your capacity to be happy.

Unhealthy food, alcohol, weed, social media, wackin' it, etc. All produce a high that you didn't pay in advance for.

Life's going to be good, and life's going to be bad, nomatter what. When people let life choose their bad by succumbing to their vices, it is a feeling of debt you can't escape that you never wanted to owe in the first place.

The better things get, the harder it is to be disciplined, the worse it can be. Would be interested to see how 3rd world country suicide rates compare when the stakes for survival are higher.

Also, not trying to be holier-than-thou, I succumb to the vices above regularly
    Hey, I work very hard at whacking it.

But seriously--most vices are only vices when done to excess. Lot's of happy people drink, eat unhealthy food, smoke weed, etc. Lots of people who do those things give their time and effort to help others too.
    Lots of unhappy people are unhappy because of things they have no control over--illness, poverty, childhood abuse to name of few. (On the subject of child abuse--how's religion supposed to help you if your priest is molesting you?)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

But seriously--most vices are only vices when done to excess. Lot's of happy people drink, eat unhealthy food, smoke weed, etc. Lots of people who do those things give their time and effort to help others too.
    Lots of unhappy people are unhappy because of things they have no control over--illness, poverty, childhood abuse to name of few. (On the subject of child abuse--how's religion supposed to help you if your priest is molesting you?)
    lol! I agree, those examples are best used to supplement happiness. What about the people who seem to have it all, health, money, etc who end up committing suicide? What about the people who are in dire need who are gleaming examples of hope against all odds? I really think it has to do with how invested you are in your happiness. What's good in having it all if it doesn't mean anything? How do you make life worth living? Takes meaningful work, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

But seriously--most vices are only vices when done to excess.
    Excess is relative. Is a little bit every single day without exception excess? Depends on how that individual reacts to the prospect or reality of not getting that on any particular day.(s) How about usually doing a little bit once in awhile but sometimes doing a bunch? Depends on consequences or potential consequences..

lol! I agree, those examples are best used to supplement happiness. What about the people who seem to have it all, health, money, etc who end up committing suicide? What about the people who are in dire need who are gleaming examples of hope against all odds? I really think it has to do with how invested you are in your happiness. What's good in having it all if it doesn't mean anything? How do you make life worth living? Takes meaningful work, I believe.
    Hang on everyone, Kyle here is professing to be the messiah of the mentally ill. Their cure? Why, the gospel of wealth, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Hang on everyone, Kyle here is professing to be the messiah of the mentally ill. Their cure? Why, the gospel of wealth, of course.
    I don't understand what you're trying to say. I don't have the answers, I'm just trying to learn by providing my beliefs. I have an open mind, if my beliefs are fallible I'd love to know why. I won't get butthurt about it, promise.

Meaningful. That is a complex word.

I think that social media is given more meaning than it should, and it definitely doesn't help mental health. Yet our American culture has been fooled into thinking that social media is inextricable from happiness. That is a big mistake.

Left social media about 4 years ago. After 8 months the addiction faded, and over time my happiness increased. I was able to enjoy moments for what they were... fleeting moments. My direction in life was more centered on what I wanted, and the social norms perpetuated in the subtext of social media were no longer fucking with my mental rhythm and fluidity.

Just say no... to social media.