Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    conehead suffers so much compared to the poor chileans!

sad!
    you really are a cunt

was your daddy cozy with pinochet, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    America is harder living. We have fewer social safety nets, and are usually far from friends and family vs England where all my family lives. We also work longer hours and have greater societal pressure to achieve success etc. probably one of the reasons everyone is armed to the teeth.

When I go to chile, my dad has some poor ass neighbors who pick lemons for a living. And when they come home, they sit outside in a perfect Mediterranean climate, and sip wine with their friends and family who all live in the same little valley. They could a give a shit about anything.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    makes sense to me. Actually, i mean it sounds very accurate, but a terrible way of life. I'm planting the seeds to move to Mexico in five years. Your dad's neighbors remind me of the story of the Mexican fisherman...https://bemorewithless.com/the-story...can-fisherman/
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    minimum wage is a floor. the market sets wage rates
    Well that's what the floor should be now compared to what it was back then..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

you really are a cunt
    No, he’s just a clueless gringo.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    makes sense to me. Actually, i mean it sounds very accurate, but a terrible way of life. I'm planting the seeds to move to Mexico in five years
    Same here. I can retire in 6 years, planning on going to Mexico or Belize. I love Puerta Vallarta, good expat community, and my meager pension that I wouldnt be able to survive on here, will be enough to live comfortably down there. Plus there are plenty of small business opportunities to supplement my pension and keep busy..

... On a side note... Lets keep pretending our tax dollars are not responsible for the atrocities.

Hey Amazon stock is up!

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    ... On a side note... Lets keep pretending our tax dollars are not responsible for the atrocities.

Hey Amazon stock is up!
    maybe there really is a giant white guilty conscience in the sky!

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    maybe there really is a giant white guilty conscience in the sky!
    No guilty poolside.

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton

We hate ourselves for our freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Class warfare the Kochs are winning bigly at. And, they DGAF what happens to most of the newly minted peasants who used to be middle class. Robotics and AI will still be making Big Macs and even delivering them to their mansions.
    Yes.

The market is rigged.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I fear that humanity's next great adventure will be War, Famine, Pestilence and Death
    Good thing I have plenty of gunz.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

There are a lot of examples where government mandated minimums (health insurance, for example) replace competition and reduce the degree to which the market actually sets anything by giving would-be competitors a convenient point at which to collude in setting the market value/price. I'm sure that doesn't happen across all minimum wage sectors, but don't you expect that to be the case in some jobs/locations? In a hot job market it should happen less, but I would expect pockets of that at all times, especially if minimum wage is adjusted slowly upward.

I mention it in reference to the seller observation that minimum wage has not tracked minimum productivity and it seems that the government-sponsored minimum may be doing more harm than good long term in instances where labor unions would have driven a harder bargain, but seem less necessary if the government promises a "living wage" without the effort or engagement. (That last having probably the biggest impact on suicide rates.)

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    There are a lot of examples where government mandated minimums (health insurance, for example) replace competition and reduce the degree to which the market actually sets anything by giving would-be competitors a convenient point at which to collude in setting the market value/price. I'm sure that doesn't happen across all minimum wage sectors, but don't you expect that to be the case in some jobs/locations? In a hot job market it should happen less, but I would expect pockets of that at all times, especially if minimum wage is adjusted slowly upward.

I mention it in reference to the seller observation that minimum wage has not tracked minimum productivity and it seems that the government-sponsored minimum may be doing more harm than good long term in instances where labor unions would have driven a harder bargain, but seem less necessary if the government promises a "living wage" without the effort or engagement. (That last having probably the biggest impact on suicide rates.)
    Kahneman discusses this in Thinking, Fast and Slow. Basically prices and wages will cluster around an existing number--whether that number is based on costs, supply and demand, or is picked arbitrarily. Things may go up or down from the number, but not by much (except for bitcoin).

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    The market is rigged.
    in your mind

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Well that's what the floor should be now compared to what it was back then..
    i don't know. the concept of minimum wage seems to be changing. i think direct subsidies to people is more efficient than the minimum wage

i don't know. the concept of minimum wage seems to be changing. i think direct subsidies to people is more efficient than the minimum wage
    Gauranteed minimum income.

let employers determine what they need to pay - not the government

i think a guarenteed living wage will force many small business to close, creating opportunities for larger companies to come in consolidate and use technology and less employees and drive prices higher from lack of competition.

like I said - direct subsidies

and as usual we don't ever agree on economics/politics

I agree that when automation and AI are doing more than 50% of the food, retail, and transportation in addition to the production already there Universal Basic Income (UBI) is the only alternative to a violent bloodbath of the haves against the have nots. But, for now as long as there are still jobs to be done those jobs need to pay enough to cover food, housing, and medical care for a person working 40 hours/week and support a dependent with the same.. Two earners and two kids.. one earner and a spouse or kid..

i think a guarenteed living wage will force many small business to close, creating opportunities for larger companies to come in consolidate and use technology and less employees and drive prices higher from lack of competition.

Gauranteed minimum income is a direct subsidy. It's a great idea. Healthcare would also be a great direct subsidy. Decoupling healthcare from employment would be huge.

no wonder

let the adults talk with out interrupting, ok

oh by the way, most economists agree on direct subsides vs mandating a living wage

second direct subsidies, eg UBI, would be great for you. you wouldn't work and you would be supported

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Gauranteed minimum income is a direct subsidy. It's a great idea. Healthcare would also be a great direct subsidy. Decoupling healthcare from employment would be huge.
    guaranteed minimum wage is not a subsidy - it is forcing the private sector to fill in for the public sector.

the minimum wage is so low now it is a floor that doesn't really interfere with markets setting rates. here in vt there are so few working adults there are very few minimum wage jobs. Most low end jobs pay a little higher, not much, but they do pay little higher. employers that pay minimum here have a hard time keeping employees

Paying UBI, and enough to survive on would also sabotage small businesses. Nobody would be willing to work for the pay rate the most desperate will work for without UBI. If I've got food, shelter, medical care covered I'm not giving up my free time to do manual labor for less than $50/hour.