Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Ask your mom where mine goes I experienced a glitch on the same day Iceman posted about a glitch in the matrix a few years ago. My search is failing right now but I probably can find it in a bit. Not sure that changes any of my beliefs though
    I'd never believe anything so highly scientifically or statistically impossible based on the accounts of any other person. I'd absolutely 100% be saying either someone's lying or just legitimately confused about the facts and circumstances. I don't expect anyone else to believe things like that which I've experienced either. It only impacts my own belief system (and those of the friend who called me that morning and saved my life).
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Two Czech Jewish brothers were in the camps during WWII. After the war one brother--my friend's father-in-law--came to America. The other brother went to Palestine to a kibbutz and fought and died in the 1948 war. 40 years later the American brother visited Israel and went to the kibbutz where his brother had lived. Shortly before arriving his car stalled on a bridge over a wadi. He lifted the hood, although he knew nothing about cars but it seemed like what you do so he did it. Wiggled a few wires, closed the hood, and the car started. He drove on to the kibbutz where he met his brother's old commander. He asked the commander to take him to the spot where his brother died. The commander did-- to that bridge over the wadi. I heard this story at the American brother's funeral--a suicide, like so many survivors of the camps in their later years.

The conclusion I draw from this story is that Israeli rental cars can't be trusted, but it's a small country, you can always walk.

What I learned is both brothers have now permanently Czeched out

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Pitchers have faith in their process and ability, fishermen have faith in natural systems, race car drivers have faith in their ability & that of the pit crew, soldiers have faith in those around and behind them, etc. It's everywhere, but it's mocked & ridiculed nonstop amid the rush to prove that we don't need no stinkin faith (which is really a form of humility & acceptance of responsibility). We have beaten religion! But we still pine for spirituality and are just as in need of a moral and intellectual framework as any prior time. So we can either list in a directionless haze (Trumptardia) or we can define the objectives we want to achieve and establish the processes we believe will get us there. At a personal level and at a societal one.
    That's not faith, is't experience, or at least fore knowledge.

Pitchers have "faith" in their ability because they have thrown the ball thousands of times before, drivers have "faith" the the other drivers abilities because the have raced with them before, or at least know they have come up through the ranks to dive at a particular level. The have "faith" in their pit crew because they have practiced many, many times, or that a new crew member is well trained, etc. There is no faith involved.

Faith would be if you put me on the mound in the world series and truly believed I could pitch. Your faith would quickly be shattered when the ball rolled across home plate.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

sometimes traumatic pain or loss is unbearable. that motive has absolutely nothing to do with wealth or fame. if you have survived those kinds of things and are advancing in age, sometimes it probably doesn't feel worth it to survive another. i believe life is beautiful, but it is also bitter and not forever. i'm only here for my boy and i hope to keep it that way for a long time to come.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Two Czech Jewish brothers were in the camps during WWII. After the war one brother--my friend's father-in-law--came to America. The other brother went to Palestine to a kibbutz and fought and died in the 1948 war. 40 years later the American brother visited Israel and went to the kibbutz where his brother had lived. Shortly before arriving his car stalled on a bridge over a wadi. He lifted the hood, although he knew nothing about cars but it seemed like what you do so he did it. Wiggled a few wires, closed the hood, and the car started. He drove on to the kibbutz where he met his brother's old commander. He asked the commander to take him to the spot where his brother died. The commander did-- to that bridge over the wadi. I heard this story at the American brother's funeral--a suicide, like so many survivors of the camps in their later years.

The conclusion I draw from this story is that Israeli rental cars can't be trusted, but it's a small country, you can always walk.
    Thread drift of the third kind. Well played sir.

Why all the suicides if everything is going so well in Murica?

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    sometimes traumatic pain or loss is unbearable. that motive has absolutely nothing to do with wealth or fame. if you have survived those kinds of things and are advancing in age, sometimes it probably doesn't feel worth it to survive another. i believe life is beautiful, but it is also bitter and not forever. i'm only here for my boy and i hope to keep it that way for a long time to come.
    I’m glad I have Kids. Forces you to persevere in the hardest of times.

AB probably would have gone sooner without his kid. He must have really been in a bad place.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Nope, would only qualify as paranormal if the brother who died at the river was a mechanic too..

Has anyone mentioned orbs? Seems like we're close.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I’m glad I have Kids. Forces you to persevere in the hardest of times.

AB probably would have gone sooner without his kid. He must have really been in a bad place.

I have a slightly broadened belief system having survived a couple things that should have killed me. Yes, I believe that my wife, kids, elderly mother, etc depend on me to support them.. But, even if they were gone I'm not checking out just in case there might be someone or something else of great value to others I could be tasked with helping them with. I'm a believer that my work here isn't done until things beyond my control say I'm done and whack me. I can always think of another reason to get out of bed and get going. I guess if I couldn't that would be sad indeed. These folks are truly tragically ill. It's usually quite devastating to their family and friends in ways the depressed person obviously couldn't fathom due to the illness and dementia..

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Has anyone mentioned orbs? Seems like we're close.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpeg 
Views:	53 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	238334

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I have a slightly broadened belief system having survived a couple things that should have killed me. Yes, I believe that my wife, kids, elderly mother, etc depend on me to support them.. But, even if they were gone I'm not checking out just in case there might be someone or something else of great value to others I could be tasked with helping them with. I'm a believer that my work here isn't done until things beyond my control say I'm done and whack me. I can always think of another reason to get out of bed and get going. I guess if I couldn't that would be sad indeed. These folks are truly tragically ill. It's usually quite devastating to their family and friends in ways the depressed person obviously couldn't fathom due to the illness and dementia..
    you're obviously important

^ Classic piece of '80s horror (Phantasm).

i was at a multiplex drive-in with my folks in nebraska when i was 10. we were there to watch a pg movie but phantasm was playing on the next screen and

fucked.

me.

up.

I’m glad I have Kids. Forces you to persevere in the hardest
    Honestly, if I was asked “what’s the reason you don’t own a gun? “

Now that I see it in writing....kinda sad.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

i was at a multiplex drive-in with my folks in nebraska when i was 10. we were there to watch a pg movie but phantasm was playing on the next screen and

fucked.

me.

up.
    Ya but that killer MOPAR!!! I also saw that at a drive in the first time..

Nice, two people who haven't spoken to eachother in months suddenly come to the conclusion that they experienced the exact same hallucination about a death and healing while being thousands of miles apart.. And there was medical evidence of the near death experience and recovery. Still just the word of the two individuals that they shared the same spiritual plane during the event while thousands of miles apart. Scientific explanation, as I already pointed out, would be someone's lying or extremely confused about the actual events..
    You've said something like this a few times with no real background. Did this happen to you personally? The thing is, statistically, somebody's bound to get struck by lightning - the guy who gets struck just thinks it's amazing because it happened to him. In the big picture, though, it's predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Pitchers have faith in their process and ability, fishermen have faith in natural systems, race car drivers have faith in their ability & that of the pit crew, soldiers have faith in those around and behind them, etc. It's everywhere, but it's mocked & ridiculed nonstop amid the rush to prove that we don't need no stinkin faith (which is really a form of humility & acceptance of responsibility). We have beaten religion! But we still pine for spirituality and are just as in need of a moral and intellectual framework as any prior time. So we can either list in a directionless haze (Trumptardia) or we can define the objectives we want to achieve and establish the processes we believe will get us there. At a personal level and at a societal one.
    Nice post,
    Not long ago I would told you I am a solid atheist. But, do not begrudge those who have religious faith.

And then I have had dreams, thoughts , epiphanies ? that cannot be explained with hard science.

I am not so sure anymore, there might just be more to the human condition, essence that most of us can accept, short of just having FAITH inn something bigger and not yet explained.

So that's where I am curranty .
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I do believe there is a sickness in this country
    There is a sickness in the WORLD. Why are so many of us around the world so unhappy and unfulfilled? Why do billions of us medicate ourselves, with booze, drugs, television, food, etc? Why is there so much existential angst? We lost our way somewhere and I think its this
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    or perhaps better said “industrialization”
    I think we lost our way when we industrialized. When we became modern. In the book Ishmael, Daniel Quinn describes it as when we became a "Taker" society instead of a "leaver" society, like man had been for thousands and thousands of years; “the premise of the Leaver story is 'man belongs to the world'.. The premise of the Taker story is 'the world belongs to man'.” Capitalism. Everything in this world is CAPITAL and it belongs to ME and MY GROUP we need MORE of it, and who cares how our pursuit of it affects other species, or other people, or the environment..

Yes, mankind is inherently flawed, and was before industrialization. There has always been and will always be greed and stupidity, destructiveness and shortsightedness. But I think simpler life was easier on the human psyche. When we farmed or killed our food, when we traded what we had for what we needed, when our life expectancy was half of what it is now, life itself was more precious, because it was more precarious. There was a profound sense of satisfaction derived from surviving on your own wits and hard work. With industrialism, we just added that angst to all our pre existing flaws, since now most of us spend our days doing unfulfilling bullshit for other people, and taking survival and comfort for granted.

Thats how I see it anyhow

Great thread... on many difficult levels. I have to chime in tho, in SumJongGuy's defense. I can attest to his story on a personal level...

In 1985, I was on Martha's Vineyard aboard a friend's boat and supposed to meet up with another friend later that night. This was pre cell phones, so no way to contact anyone, but friend never shows. I had this incredibly vivid dream that night of my friend and he is laying on this pure white bed. He's sleeping, but I notice this mole on his neck. I look closer and it turns out to be an eye... and an evil one at that. I notice it's looking at me and then a tiny head head pops out. Then the head explodes and there is blood all over the sheets. I woke up that morning completely spooked and shaken, so much so that I tell this at breakfast to a couple of guys that I didn't really know very well.

When I got home Sunday night, I found out, my friend killed himself in bed that night.

No fucking way that my dream was a coincidence. Very sad times, but I will never forget the sensation and horrific feeling before I even knew what had happened. Needless to say, I don't doubt much, except religion and Trump.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Doesn't do much for me. I have similar stories.

Woke up @3:31 AM. Bolt upright. To the point I remembered waking up bolt upright, especially since I was too drunk to drive home.
    My stepsister was too, except she head-butted a hole in her windshield @3:31 AM driving home from a different party. She wrecked about a 1/2 mile from where I was, about 80 stitches & a concussion.

Vivid dream I assaulted a friend of a friend who I thought was a dick.
    Next morning: Ring Ring..."You hear about Dennis?"
    "No what?"
    "Last night he sat in his truck, stuck his .44 in his mouth, and pulled the trigger."

We don't know everything. Quantum tunneling - What makes it work? Non-local superpositions of eigenstates - same deal.
    We do have a few pretty good methods for finding out tricky shit. None of them involve magic, though.

Nice, there it is.

the reason we all get up every day do whatever it takes to get by.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Last yr I was in a super mkt with my kids when I felt a little weak and dizzy for a moment. I went home and about two hrs later I got a phone call that my mother’s Aorta ruptured right at about that exact time.

Last yr I was in a super mkt with my kids when I felt a little weak and dizzy for a moment. I went home and about two hrs later I got a phone call that my mother’s Aorta ruptured right at about that exact time.

When I was in kindergarten my mom started balling one night hysterically saying something was wrong. We couldn't get her to explain what or why she was so upset. The next morning we got a call from Kentucky that my dad's best friend and cousin had died suddenly.

In the last days of my dad's life he was in a VA hospice and flat-lined several times over the last two weeks having to be brought back with paddles. After waking up the last time he said he met others who said they would guide him to the other side, He named two people and the VA nurse's jaw dropped. She said those names and ranks match people she knew who had died there over the past 5 years.. but were already gone before my dad arrived there..

Did somebody say Orbeez?

Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.