Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    I don't like how faith is evaluated within liberal circles.
    I don't like how faith is evaluated and valued within faithful circles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

This thread is a fail. You jumped right into asking "why" without first establishing that there is a connection between the overall pulse in America and suicide rates. Further, you're assuming the relatively small sampling of people that choose to kill themselves each year represent the broader population. Take a lap.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Inheriting a group.
    Right, yes...that’s much better-said.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Thats got to be a bumper sticker somewhere.
    On my plow truck between “my wyoming has an east infection” and “Jeb!”

Why all the suicides if everything is going so well in Murica?

Out of college I worked with a kid whose family had been in San Fran from the beginning. Zillionaires from the days of the clipper ships. Guy lived by himself in a pac height mansion next to Winona Ryder.

Anyway, this family also had the dubious honor of a SF Chronicle article that detailed how 7-8 people in his family had jumped off the GG bridge.

Don’t know what happened to him but thank god he moved to Philly.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Cono Este; 06-08-2018 at 02:39 PM.

i can't be the only one here who has attempted suicide. just think! if it weren't for dumb luck and my innate stupidity, i would never have been here to brighten so many days.

"If you grow up expecting to be poor and for life to be very hard, and you value survival under difficult conditions....you can achieve survival and feel good about that. If you grow up expecting to prosper and being told good people do well and lazy people don't....bare survival can feel excruciating. That's why that narrative about how white people can't lose is actually beyond just being annoying bullshit, it's actually dangerous."
    This. The level of dyscopia in today's society highlights this. Entitlement and expectation.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    The "Official Numbers" are bullshit for people living in rural areas.
    In the Consumer Price Index (CPI) for example:
    " People not included in the report are non-metro or rural populations, farm families, armed forces, people serving in prison and those in mental hospitals. "

In January 2012, the Federal Reserve declared it would rather use the PCE (Personal Consumption Expenditures) index than CPI since PCE provided inflation trends that are less affected by short-term price changes. The PCE does include housing prices:
    https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/DHUTRC1Q027SBEA .

But the PCE does not include gasoline or food:
    The "core" PCE price index is defined as personal consumption expenditures (PCE) prices excluding food and energy prices.

Wage growth is far behind inflation and has been for some time, even in urban areas:
    https://www.glassdoor.com/research/a...ith-inflation/

Rural areas are feeling the financial crunch more than ever. I don't know what the suicide rate breakdown is across urban versus rural areas, but at least in the above charts, those states with the highest suicide rates have few multimillion population urban areas.

While the CPI does include food and energy costs, the other "official number", Core Inflation does not.
    QFT. So much of the "data" that goes into these types of studies has been perverted six times over by the time it's published. Sort of like the Bible. (please don't hate me)
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Canada

""Suicide rate over time
    Rates of suicide in Canada have been fairly constant since the 1920s, averaging annually around twenty (males) and five (females) per 100,000 population, ranging from lows of 14 (males, 1944) and 4 (females, 1925, 1963) to peaks of 27 (males, 1977, 1982) and 10 (females, 1973). During the 2000s, Canada ranked 34th-highest overall among 107 nations' suicide rates. ""

NO similar statement regarding the excited states BUT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicid..._United_States

"" Suicide has been associated with tough economic conditions, including unemployment rate.[16]

There are significant variations in the suicide rates of the different states,[17] ranging from 28.24 per 100,000 people in Wyoming to 7.81 per 100,000 people in New York.[7]

Approximately one-half of suicides are committed using a firearm, accounting for two-thirds of all firearm deaths.[18] Firearms were used in 56.9% of suicides among males in 2016, making it the most commonly used method by them.[8]

BUT are there really more suicides or does it just seem like there are more suicides is it like crime where people think its worse but its actualy crime is lower than its ever been?

that fire arms and suicide stat is interesting not sure a tourniquet would have done SFA but , I wonder how many people have used a Tourniquet to strangle themselves ??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

For anyone interested in kind of "going deep"....perhaps the sort of people who would have watched that 20 minutes of David Simon I posted earlier...Michael Ruppert spent a lot of time making his point of view fairly clear and leaving a media track record. He recently killed himself, and there are some of these things around that help you get to know him, and his times, and kind of understand his thinking.

Vice series:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNVH...zgJXAN4yvs3EXE

Joe Rogan's podcast:

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Faith requires a suspension of reality.
    More accurately...Reality requires a suspension of faith.

While nothing can ever be proven to 100%, many many things are proven beyond a reasonable doubt, and do not require faith. It does not take faith to know that tomorrow objects will not suddenly start fall up.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    FIFY. I don't like how faith is evaluated within liberal circles. It seems to me it's essential for peace of mind and acceptance of reality, otherwise we're constantly marking our life to market & wrestling with the invariable gap between the ideal and reality. It's a spiritual concept used by religion, not a religious concept inextricably linked to proselytizing.
    I have no faith in any higher power, in any paranormal phenomena, in any universal intelligence. I believe that when you're dead you're dead, that the universe was created through physical processes which we will likely never understand, that life on earth including human beings was created through the laws of chemistry which we do understand and that organisms have evolved to their present state through the agency of natural selection without the help of any higher intelligence, that we have no purpose on this earth other than to reproduce. I have no trouble accepting this reality; I believe things could be better but likely won't be and that there is no such thing as an ideal. I have peace of mind, I sleep well, I enjoy the things I do (I'd enjoy them more if the body wasn't aging), I am able to love those close to me and I can more their deaths without believing that they are going to a better place or will be reborn. In short I don't need magic to live a happy and fulfilled life.

If we want to understand the increasing rate of suicide we need to consider it along with the decreasing life span, especially of middle aged white men, increasing political division and hatred, increasing mass murders and school shootings. Increased suicide is not an isolated phenomenon. I do believe there is a sickness in this country and that the current popularity of blaming others--immigrants, blacks, people of the opposite party, other countries--will never help us understand why.

Flowing doesn't like my long posts so for him:

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I have no faith in any higher power, in any paranormal phenomena, in any universal intelligence. I believe that when you're dead you're dead, that the universe was created through physical processes which we will likely never understand, that life on earth including human beings was created through the laws of chemistry which we do understand and that organisms have evolved to their present state through the agency of natural selection without the help of any higher intelligence, that we have no purpose on this earth other than to reproduce. I have no trouble accepting this reality; I believe things could be better but likely won't be and that there is no such thing as an ideal. I have peace of mind, I sleep well, I enjoy the things I do (I'd enjoy them more if the body wasn't aging), I am able to love those close to me and I can more their deaths without believing that they are going to a better place or will be reborn. In short I don't need magic to live a happy and fulfilled life.

If we want to understand the increasing rate of suicide we need to consider it along with the decreasing life span, especially of middle aged white men, increasing political division and hatred, increasing mass murders and school shootings. Increased suicide is not an isolated phenomenon. I do believe there is a sickness in this country and that the current popularity of blaming others--immigrants, blacks, people of the opposite party, other countries--will never help us understand why.
    ^^^This. It does not require faith to think this, just an honest evaluation of the available evidence. My, or OG's thoughts on this may change as more evidence is provided, but for the last 150 years the evidence has only supported such a concept.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Growth of the internet and suicide rate are on a similar trajectory.

I have no faith in any higher power, in any paranormal phenomena, in any universal intelligence. I believe that when you're dead you're dead, that the universe was created through physical processes which we will likely never understand, that life on earth including human beings was created through the laws of chemistry which we do understand and that organisms have evolved to their present state through the agency of natural selection without the help of any higher intelligence, that we have no purpose on this earth other than to reproduce. I have no trouble accepting this reality;
    Dang, then wouldn't masturbation truly be a huge sin and sacrilege? We're circumventing our only true purpose by jerking off :-)
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

we have no purpose on this earth other than to reproduce.
    That sounds dangerously like a belief...
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Dang, then wouldn't masturbation truly be a huge sin and sacrilege? We're circumventing our only true purpose by jerking off :-)
    Orthodox Jews tend to believe male masturbation is a sin for exactly that reason. Women are good to go as much as they want for the same reason

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Orthodox Jews tend to believe male masturbation is a sin for exactly that reason. Women are good to go as much as they want for the same reason
    Yep, we are killing millions of little souls with each wank.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Yep, we are killing millions of little souls with each wank.
    Speak for yourself, my product goes into the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    That sounds dangerously like a belief...

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Science can't explain why person A has a near death experience on one coast and person A's friend dreams that exact same friend having that exact same experience on the other coast at the exact same time.. Then, calls person A the next morning totally out of the blue and immediately says, dude I dreamed you died last night. Either these two people are lying, both hallucinating the exact same vision at the exact same time 2,000 miles apart, or it is one really odd coincidence.
    Actually science has examined these anecdotes and reached an explanation. I say that as someone who has ‘experienced’ this type of thing but does not hesitate to let science explain how our brain plays tricks on us as we weave our threads of memory into intriguing patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Actually science has examined these anecdotes and reached an explanation. I say that as someone who has ‘experienced’ this type of thing but does not hesitate to let science explain how our brain plays tricks on us as we weave our threads of memory into intriguing patterns.
    Nice, two people who haven't spoken to eachother in months suddenly come to the conclusion that they experienced the exact same hallucination about a death and healing while being thousands of miles apart.. And there was medical evidence of the near death experience and recovery. Still just the word of the two individuals that they shared the same spiritual plane during the event while thousands of miles apart. Scientific explanation, as I already pointed out, would be someone's lying or extremely confused about the actual events..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Speak for yourself, my product goes into the freezer.
    Ask your mom where mine goes
    I experienced a glitch on the same day Iceman posted about a glitch in the matrix a few years ago. My search is failing right now but I probably can find it in a bit. Not sure that changes any of my beliefs though

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    I experienced a glitch on the same day Iceman posted about a glitch in the matrix a few years ago. My search is failing right now but I probably can find it in a bit. Not sure that changes any of my beliefs though
    Post a link if you find it, I want to read that again I'm fuzzy on what exactly happened then at this point.