Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    fuck, I still miss that guy.
    Agreed. For anyone in Ontario, there’s a show on TVO where the host really is trying hard to be just like Bourdain without the food twist. Fuck I hate that show.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

For some reason I still kind of want to believe it's a case of autoerotic asphyxiation gone awry. I guess it's because if that guy could kill himself, well, shit.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    For some reason I still kind of want to believe it's a case of autoerotic asphyxiation gone awry. I guess it's because if that guy could kill himself, well, shit.

I’m not far from this position. I’ve not once got misty-eyed about any “celeb” but for some reason Anthony’s death hit me, and still does, hard.

I got to meet him twice. Once when my sis was working with Eric Ripert at Le Bernadin, and another on a speaking/book tour of his. Captivating and embracing would describe the man.

Anyway, travel, food, drink and curiosity is what brought my wife and I together.
    We had a preexisting draw to industry people as they were more fun to begin with and of course we were already there for the food. The man spoke to us. Even after he and we had kids.

I don’t watch his shows in reruns either. I don’t know why but I think it’s because I feel like a lot of y’all. A friend died. In a bad way. And that’s hard.
    I still call it The Jake.

As others have said, I felt his death more than any celeb I can think of. I wonder, is it because I wanted to be like Anthony? C'mon - hot model wife, drink amazing wine, eat amazing food, travel to amazing places. Perhaps that was what hit me off balance so hard. A guy, seemingly at the top of the world, feels a need to end it?

His writing style was so bang on too. It's not often we get to meet our heroes, BMills you're one lucky cat.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    As others have said, I felt his death more than any celeb I can think of. I wonder, is it because I wanted to be like Anthony? C'mon - hot model wife, drink amazing wine, eat amazing food, travel to amazing places. Perhaps that was what hit me off balance so hard. A guy, seemingly at the top of the world, feels a need to end it?
    His marriage had ended, his subsequent relationship with Asia Argento could be described as tumultuous at best, his lifestyle was outwardly glamorous but assuredly grueling, and he had a long history of substance use/abuse and depression. It's not a big leap, especially since suicide is often a spur-of-the-moment decision.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 06-04-2021 at 10:45 AM.

I think I remember him somewhere basically being like "I am by myself or just with strangers over 40 weeks a year" and I remember that hitting me like that's a tough existence and I couldn't do it, regardless of if I was in a 5 star hotel the whole time.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I think I remember him somewhere basically being like "I am by myself or just with strangers over 40 weeks a year" and I remember that hitting me like that's a tough existence and I couldn't do it, regardless of if I was in a 5 star hotel the whole time.
    There's that aspect, but also constantly crisscrossing time zones ravages you. Your circadian rhythm never gets fully reset which leads to a lot of bad physiological outcomes and especially impacts your sleep, and it's very well-documented that sleep loss exacerbates most mental illness.

I reread Kitchen Confidential every few years so I cracked it again the other night and always read it in his voice.

Baltimore sucks.

I think the gravitation to the man is that we all found something in him that we had in some small measure in ourselves, and what we lacked, he leaned right into. Not fearlessly, but with totally open eyes. He genuinely consumed the world - food and experiences a like. That's why I loved that trailer quote that the show was really about Anthony becoming a better person each episode. Food was just the vehicle, not the reason for the show or his life.

Ultimately, I liked how simple he made things. Usually guys with an ego and platform, and he wouldn't even tell you he didn't have a big head, ply the masses with "meaning." He never came off as preaching anything besides embracing the chaos and seeing where the chips fall, because the alternative is boring and what's the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    There's that aspect, but also constantly crisscrossing time zones ravages you. Your circadian rhythm never gets fully reset which leads to a lot of bad physiological outcomes and especially impacts your sleep, and it's very well-documented that sleep loss exacerbates most mental illness.
    Add in all the other ingredients from the man's life and I've little doubt about the way he died. It's weird to parse it out, but I wonder more about the impulsiveness of it all. He did impulsive, ill advised things throughout his life. I think he finally may have performed his last impulsive, carnal act. Knowing he's going to go out on his own terms one day, doesn't mean this was "planned out." I probably mentioned earlier in this thread that I was staying at the same hotel as him just days before his suicide. Something was off, and I dont think I am just saying that after-the-fact, and it was going to lead to something but I don't think he knew what it was. [end transmission of absolute speculation]

Gordon Ramsay is an absolute fuckwit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Everyone is trying to be Bourdain. That Tucci show on CNN sucked ass.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Yup. And the show in AK where he climbed a mountain with ropes and a guide to gain access to a remarkable allusive ingredient; “Old Mans Beard” totally turned me off.

Old Mans Beard is on dam near every tree in the western PNW.

Such bullshit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

At least Andrew Zimmer didn’t pretend to be anything else but a chubby guy that ate gross shit around the world.

Stanley Tucci has about as much personality as Mike Pence and Ramsay’s fake interest in mundane shit is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    At least Andrew Zimmer didn’t pretend to be anything else but a chubby guy that ate gross shit around the world.

Stanley Tucci has about as much personality as Mike Pence and Ramsay’s fake interest in mundane shit is terrible.

You're killing me.

I've always maintained that. I hope my ex is stalking me and reads that I am not the only sane one.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

He makes my "Top 25" list of people who I would back up over, in addition to not braking for if they stepped in front of my car.

Yes. Yes he is.

Danthe, I hear you but still.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Everyone is trying to be Bourdain. That Tucci show on CNN sucked ass.

The Ethiopian/Swedish guy on PBS tried but whiffed as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bluespark View Post
    The Ethiopian/Swedish guy on PBS tried but whiffed as well.
    That's one hell of a combination. Wonder if it was mom or dad who had jungle fever?

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    He makes my "Top 25" list of people who I would back up over, in addition to not braking for if they stepped in front of my car.
    That's one hell of a combination. Wonder if it was mom or dad who had jungle fever?
    Jeebus. You might make my top five list with your racist “jungle fever” lingo
    . . .

That's a new low, even for you.

Well, this is pretty creepy.

Anthony Bourdain’s voice was deepfaked in new film. The chef’s widow and critics aren’t happy.
    By Timothy Bella

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...y-ai-deepfake/

"When explaining how he was able to capture the spirit of Anthony Bourdain in his haunting new documentary, filmmaker Morgan Neville said he felt it was vital to have the whole film in the voice of the acclaimed chef, who died by suicide in 2018.
    To do so, the director and the crew for “Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain” used artificial intelligence to create three sound bites with Bourdain’s voice — a process, Neville said, that was approved by the late celebrity chef’s widow and literary executor “just to make sure people were cool with that.”
    But the editorial decision to deepfake Bourdain’s voice has come under fire from critics who have questioned the ethics behind using AI for the film, which opens in theaters Friday. Among those critics is Ottavia Bourdain, his widow, who disputed that Neville approached her about re-creating her husband’s voice through AI in the documentary.
    “I certainly was NOT the one who said Tony would have been cool with that,” she tweeted early Friday."

That Is creepy as Fuck

Ironically working in my yard listening to npr. They replayed an old interview with the master chef tourist. He really was a cool dude.
    . . .

Oof, I don't like that deep fake news - I need to read more. Planning to read this NYer piece when I get a min: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/an...bourdain-voice

That being said, CBS had a quick clip on the movie's upcoming release and I remain interested...though still concerned. Anyone see it yet?

[QUOTE=fool;6359321]Oof, I don't like that deep fake news - I need to read more. Planning to read this NYer piece when I get a min: https://www.newyorker.com/culture/an...bourdain-voice

I saw it Saturday. It’s worthwhile. Didn’t move me like the documentarian’s mr, Rogers movie but that is probably because I didn’t know much about mr. Roger as compared to bourdain. Also I felt like it maybe a little harsh to Asia without even allowing her any rebuttal. I’d say go see it though.