Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I think it was a legitimate observation. You're on here talking about how it's all over for you but here somebody kills themselves and you seem to completely lack empathy. It's odd.
    Thank you..
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by papapoopski View Post
    I was a young chef in NYC when I met Tony. A chef friend brought me over to Les Halles after we got off work. The 3 of us had a few beers, talked shop, bitched about customers etc.

He was a great guy to talk to, generous with advice and he helped to point me in a few directions. He didn't have to do any of that and I didn't ask him to. I got the sense that he genuinely wanted to see others succeed. There are some real ass hole chefs out there. Tony was not one of them.

This was 99/00 or so. He still had time to talk to a grunt like me.
    That's a nice perspective.
    I just saw the guy on the TV. and wonder why>
    Seeing a story like this makes it a little more sad. but explains a lot .
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I think it was a legitimate observation. You're on here talking about how it's all over for you but here somebody kills themselves and you seem to completely lack empathy. It's odd.
    Where was the lack of empathy?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I don't think it's odd at all. In fact, it's symptomatic of a variety of emotional issues such as narcissism.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Where was the lack of empathy?
    here

What could he have possibly been so depressed about? world by the tail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

You can have it all and not have what you need.

This is pretty crushing. His shows were so inspiring! I’m sure they will motivate multiple generations of folks to get out and see the world. My thoughts to his close friends and family...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I saw an article how just a couple hrs before the report his GF posted some nasty shit on her social media but has since taken it down. A “fuck you” t shirt with a title of “you know who you are”.

Who knows though?

In a similar vein, I have noticed that mtgirl has often showed what to me seems a startling lack of empathy, when one would think she would have a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I don't think it's odd at all. In fact, it's symptomatic of a variety of emotional issues such as narcissism.
    maybe this is the explanation.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I saw an article how just a couple hrs before the report his GF posted some nasty shit on her social media but has since taken it down. A “fuck you” t shirt with a title of “you know who you are”.

Who knows though?

https://people.com/food/asia-argento...rdain-suicide/
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

2 thoughts

From his book...
    I push my guys to read and I ask them to read the chapter on a guy he referred only as "Bigfoot" the greatest restaurant manager he ever saw. After they read it, I ask who is "Bigfoot?" My answer is "you can be, if you try as hard as he did."

From his show...
    "Anthony Bourdain had one of the only shows on tv that tried with all its might to teach Americans not to be scared of other people."
    ^stolen quote

2 great things worth being known for.

I'm sorry his daughter has to grow up without a father now, always wondering if his suicide had something to do with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Finstock View Post
    Hey I was at that show. Summer between 8th & 9th grade. Fuck I'm old
    LOL. I was 19. Youngster. Get off my lawn. And ya, I was there too.

So, I will be the first to admit that I couldn't really stand to watch PA at first. And had never heard of him, even a few seasons in. At first I just couldn't stand to listen to and watch him slurp noodles. But then I listened to what he was saying. And watched some other seasons. He started to grow on me. I heard a great interview on NPR. And I began to enjoy his insights. I worked in kitchens for a few years in my teens and into my mid 20s so I could relate on some levels. I never aspired to be a chef and wandered off into IT. Part of me still relates to the gritty world of kitchens. I took umbrage when he said in the NPR interview that he wouldn't tolerate the Grateful Dead music in his kitchens. And then I thought about it. He was right. Sort of. Kitchens are no place for live tapes. Most heads wanted to play the Spacey jams and that isn't the kind of groove one needs. I then laughed to myself when I recalled calling WRUV for them to play Iron Prostate, 'Bring me the head of Jerry Garcia. Dead.' again after we heard it the first time. Everybody else was at Highgate '95. We were slaving away and listening to a death metal show. I like a lot of different music. Jerry died a few weeks later. I think the episode with Obama really did it for me. I no longer cared if he slurped noodles. In the Trump era, it really sunk in what AB was about, at least in public. And I dug it. People. What brings us together. I am going to miss AB. RIP. May your kitchen be well ventilated and your music cranked.

10th leading cause of death in the US, our minds are poison. RIP thanks for keeping it real
    Hello darkness my old friend

I met him in either 02 or 03. He was still working and I was a line cook at a series of decent, but not great, restaurants. I'd moved to NYC but had no luck doing anything besides prep cooking. I figured I'd be in the restaurant business as a career and was making plans to go to culinary school in hopes of making the jump from line cook in ski-town restaurants to something better in the city. I saw him at a bar in Alphabet City, drinking alone at some insane hour of the morning. I recognized him from the book jacket of Kitchen Confidential and I drank vodka with him and he talked me out of culinary school. I quit cooking a few weeks later, bike messengered for a bit, then left the city entirely. Before I left, I sent him my copy of Kitchen Confidential with a note reminding him that I was the guy who talked about culinary school at the bar and he sent it back signed: "Don't do it. Whatever you do, for fucks sake, don't do it."

I'm really glad I took his advice. I'm not one to get caught up in celebrity deaths, but this really sucks.

The shocking and frightening thing is that in so many ways Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain seem to have had the world by the tail. If having millions and living your dream life isn’t enough to stave off depression and suicide what the hell is? Heck if they needed to start and run a charity to feel like they had a mission or were helping others, they had the connections and wherewithal to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Damn.

Rest in Peace.

He seemed like a good dude that I'd like to go have a meal and a drink with.

I enjoyed his humour and knowledge.

It's narcissistic psychopathy/sociopathy.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

I really wonder if something happened between them that pushed him over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post

Who knows though?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Anthony Bourdain dead

Quote Originally Posted by back bowl View Post
    : "Don't do it. Whatever you do, for fucks sake, don't do it."
    Great story. Thanks.

My dad was a journalist and so was my grandfather. I was never going to be a journalist or thought about it but when I was about 16 and dad was very sick he told me to never go in the business, it was no good. At that time time journalists made nothing. It was almost charity work and had long hours.. The fourth estate and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    I really wonder if something happened between them that pushed him over the edge.
    "Oh no no no, fuck YOU!"
    Depression and a case of the Fuck-It's can be a dangerous place.

Anthony Bourdain dead

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    The shocking and frightening thing is that in so many ways Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain seem to have had the world by the tail. If having millions and living your dream life isn’t enough to stave off depression and suicide what the hell is? Heck if they needed to start and run a charity to feel like they had a mission or were helping others, they had the connections and wherewithal to do it.
    The drive to be successful has a dark side. I see it. People consumed with ambition. Michael Phelps for example.

Fashion must be full of conflicting emotion. The devil wears Prada is probably a good depiction. Meryl Streep is great in that role..

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post

That’s not how depression works. Sometimes not having structure, or purpose, actually makes it worse. Humans actually need it. That’s why so many rich people end up on drugs or dead.

Think of all the Mexicans you see behind Home Depot who are laughing and looking forward to a days for for $40 and a sixer. None of them are alone either.

way to go, conehead.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Don’t Eat Before Reading This

Monday’s fish has been around since Friday, under God knows what conditions.

Good food, good eating, is all about blood and organs, cruelty and decay. It’s about sodium-loaded pork fat, stinky triple-cream cheeses, the tender thymus glands and distended livers of young animals. It’s about danger—risking the dark, bacterial forces of beef, chicken, cheese, and shellfish. Your first two hundred and seven Wellfleet oysters may transport you to a state of rapture, but your two hundred and eighth may send you to bed with the sweats, chills, and vomits.

Gastronomy is the science of pain. Professional cooks belong to a secret society whose ancient rituals derive from the principles of stoicism in the face of humiliation, injury, fatigue, and the threat of illness. The members of a tight, well-greased kitchen staff are a lot like a submarine crew. Confined for most of their waking hours in hot, airless spaces, and ruled by despotic leaders, they often acquire the characteristics of the poor saps who were press-ganged into the royal navies of Napoleonic times—superstition, a contempt for outsiders, and a loyalty to no flag but their own.

A good deal has changed since Orwell’s memoir of the months he spent as a dishwasher in “Down and Out in Paris and London.” Gas ranges and exhaust fans have gone a long way toward increasing the life span of the working culinarian. Nowadays, most aspiring cooks come into the business because they want to: they have chosen this life, studied for it. Today’s top chefs are like star athletes. They bounce from kitchen to kitchen—free agents in search of more money, more acclaim.

I’ve been a chef in New York for more than ten years, and, for the decade before that, a dishwasher, a prep drone, a line cook, and a sous-chef. I came into the business when cooks still smoked on the line and wore headbands. A few years ago, I wasn’t surprised to hear rumors of a study of the nation’s prison population which reportedly found that the leading civilian occupation among inmates before they were put behind bars was “cook.” As most of us in the restaurant business know, there is a powerful strain of criminality in the industry, ranging from the dope-dealing busboy with beeper and cell phone to the restaurant owner who has two sets of accounting books. In fact, it was the unsavory side of professional cooking that attracted me to it in the first place. In the early seventies, I dropped out of college and transferred to the Culinary Institute of America. I wanted it all: the cuts and burns on hands and wrists, the ghoulish kitchen humor, the free food, the pilfered booze, the camaraderie that flourished within rigid order and nerve-shattering chaos. I would climb the chain of command from mal carne (meaning “bad meat,” or “new guy”) to chefdom—doing whatever it took until I ran my own kitchen and had my own crew of cutthroats, the culinary equivalent of “The Wild Bunch.”....
    Nice one Brit, thanks for that. Fuck suicidal tendencies.