Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    never watched, never knew him besides the commercials but apparently he did in while in France ?

just doesn't make sense to me, he got to travel the world and cook for a living and he was depressed ? I can see 10 guys working construction outside in 100 degree heat currently and they'll be back tomorrow and the day after.

he was knowledgeable enough, should have gotten help.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Maybe he misunderstood the invite to hang with Eric Ripert?

Too soon?

Tony’s persona was well crafted. He made a career from being an asshole towards people he didn’t like or respect. Maybe some or even most of those people deserved it, but I suspect there were a lot more that didn’t.

I did enjoy his shows and books, though.

Who knows, maybe he made an intelligent decision. Maybe he got bad news from his doctor. Or whatever his reason, I respect his right to choose to end it. Provided that’s what really happened. Didn’t he say he would poison Trump if he got the chance? Maybe someone was upset about that...

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    I can see 10 guys working construction outside in 100 degree heat currently and they'll be back tomorrow and the day after.
    You won't see it on the TV news when they don't though... that's the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Sad. Listened to his first book as audiobook and he was the narrator. Had watched him prior to that and continued to occasionally watch when the location was intriguing. A part of me dreamed of living a life like that minus having the expertise, but with his history of substance abuse in the past I just had to wonder about his not so light drinking. I can understand it is all part of the experience, but did that enable him to fall further down the hole? Was always wondering if it lead him back to old ways. He had his demons...but they birthed his persona. This is one that makes me just a bit sadder than some of the others, but I am not shocked.

Total bummer, loved him and Parts Unknown...

RIP Anthony - On to your next adventure, truly parts unknown.
    Vibes to those who knew and loved him.

just doesn't make sense to me, he got to travel the world and cook for a living and he was depressed ? I can see 10 guys working construction outside in 100 degree heat currently and they'll be back tomorrow and the day after.

That's not how mental illness works.

Quote Originally Posted by Cravenmorhead View Post
    That's not how mental illness works.
    hmm dunno I think skicougar knows a fair bit about mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    I thought suicides were throw-aways? Not worth discussing, weak fawns that lead themselves to slaughter.
    Issues... You have them.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Tony’s persona was well crafted. He made a career from being an asshole towards people he didn’t like or respect.

Understandable.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Weird world.

I just checked the news and saw the announcement that he had committed suicide. In France.

I wonder what happens to all the people who work in restaurant's that he owns.

What could he have possibly been so depressed about? world by the tail.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Tony’s persona was well crafted. He made a career from being an asshole towards people he didn’t like or respect. Maybe some or even most of those people deserved it, but I suspect there were a lot more that didn’t.
    He also had the humility to admit when he was wrong. Emeril, for example.

RIP, Chef
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Thread cunt in 3, 2, 1 ......

250 days a year on the road sounds like life in the fast lane to me ... it might wear thin
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post

I don't believe he owns any restaurants.

And depression has nothing to do with wealth, celebrity status, whatever. It's an equal opportunity mental illness.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Did he still own restos? I thought he was done with all that.

The writer I quoted (Thanks Buster) is Jon Rimmerman. He owns garagiste.com. Sign up for their emails and you get to read him regularly in his missives about wine. Sometimes it's some of the best wine writing I've ever seen, and very hard to resist clicking "BUY"!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Weird world.

He doesn't own any restaurants.

And depression is a disease. Kate Spade was also a multi-millionaire. That's like asking how doctors could possibly get cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Heh, I think it was reading about Benedict sauce in Kitchen Confidential that has kept me from ordering that ever since.
    He warned against eating it at a place that didn't serve a lot of it. I bet Willy was at The Egg and I (not the same thing as the restaurants of the same name in in CO) and they serve a ton of it.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Did he still own restos? I thought he was done with all that.
    AFAIK, he never owned restaurants. And hadn't worked in one in many many years.

He was not really a "celebrity chef" in the mold of his buddy Rippert, Colicchio, etc. His fame didn't come from his cooking.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

This sucks. RIP. “Without experimentation, a willingness to ask questions and try new things, we shall surely become static, repetitive, and moribund.”
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

I was a dog on a short chain
    and now there’s no chain.

See you on the other side Tony.

Weird world.

I just checked the news and saw the announcement that he had committed suicide. In France.

Maybe he had dental problems.

I'd have put you down as being more understanding of other's depression, suicidal thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Maybe he had dental problems.

I'd have put you down as being more understanding of other's depression, suicidal thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    OK

I do have my issues.

but you would not judge me, right?

curious, what's your thought process when you post stuff like this?
    Are you being sarcastic? or are you just a sick fuck?
    I have never met you so it's hard to get a read on the intent of your posts.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Opening a special bottle for Mr. Bourdain tonight. He kept me company for many trimming hours.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Mostly being curious about your thought process when you post stuff... oddly enough.

I was a young chef in NYC when I met Tony. A chef friend brought me over to Les Halles after we got off work. The 3 of us had a few beers, talked shop, bitched about customers etc.

He was a great guy to talk to, generous with advice and he helped to point me in a few directions. He didn't have to do any of that and I didn't ask him to. I got the sense that he genuinely wanted to see others succeed. There are some real ass hole chefs out there. Tony was not one of them.

This was 99/00 or so. He still had time to talk to a grunt like me.

OK

I do have my issues.

but you would not judge me, right?

Are you being sarcastic? or are you just a sick fuck?
    I have never met you so it's hard to get a read on the intent of your posts.
    I think it was a legitimate observation. You're on here talking about how it's all over for you but here somebody kills themselves and you seem to completely lack empathy. It's odd.