Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Jackpot, Sodbuster, Powderhorn and Devils Gut Mine.

Prince Rupert, B.C. Mount Hays ski hill. Late 80s/early 90's? Can't remember. Gondola line looker's left in pic and "new" landslide branches off to looker's right in pic. 7 minute drive from home. 1600 vert feet of true gnar. The gondi line was a time honored test piece but the landslide was a temporary option in the ski scene. Was a temporary ski run cause we live in a rainforest and the 'scar tissue of the north' (alders) grew fast and reclaimed the run after three years. Of those three years there were only a few weeks in two of those seasons where the run had enough snow and of the right quality to ski it. Bottom of the run is basically just above sea level as Rupert is positioned on the edge of the mighty Pacific Ocean. Some highlight runs included a few night ski missions with a buddy who was a non skier but extreme toboganist. The top pitch was too steep for his 'boggan so he rode a shovel straight down the 50 degree fall line. Didn't need headlamps 'cause ambient light from town gave enough lumens to give enough definition. Have some VHS video of our exploits but can't watch due to the vhs player apocalyptic break down in the late 90's.

Did grab betamax footy of a run down the 'back country' ski run called 'towers face' though...if you combine that pitch, then down through the ski hill and continue on down the gondola or landslide run, you ended up with about 2100 vert feet of an amazing ski run.

Mount Hays rocked. 7 minute drive from home, 7 minute ride up the high speed 'steepest/fastest gondola in north america' (when it was built in the 70's) to access a 350 vert foot tbar accessing super fun terrain. Short but it was all little drops, cliffs, stumps and micro gnar...perfect for kids having fun and adults to hone skillz. Was kinda cool to go home for lunch and only miss an hour of ski time on blizzard days and you wanna go home to change clothes and eat a hot soup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060092.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	852.1 KB 
ID:	238274

Name:	12246914_1013321942064547_4989681634984190267_n.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	238276

Towers Face ski run:

Last edited by swissiphic; 06-08-2018 at 08:20 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

You're all wrong: Outer Limits at Killington is the best most awesome run ever.
    /thread

Sent from my SM-G935V using TGR Forums mobile app
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Any of these from Shot 7 through 11 in Schweitzer's North Bowl. They're not always in the best condition or even skiable but when they are, they're my favorite runs. Shot 11 (Misfortune) is the one that's accessible most of the time and has the longest consistent pitch but I really like the others as their snow seems to be best when they're all good. These are the Ski Patrol shot points for blasting, sometimes with big results (second picture)

Name:	Schweitzer Shot Points.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	292.5 KB 
ID:	238284

Oh that's a tough one. For me, I consider the Basin my home hill, and there are so many runs to hit.

I guess the easy answer is Pali Face as one that really defines the area, or possibly North Pole if you are willing to do the hike.

However, my favorite line there is Gauthier. Little less known, definitely steeper than Pali, and a great run.

Schoolmarm is a classic top to bottom run the whole family can enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My home hill BMOM is a little bump in Maine, but the best run is East Branch Glade with a short hike to the top. I layed the glade out and did a lot of the thinning. Comes out to about 1,000 vertical with an average slope of 26* and it is a lot of fun. One ledge drop and a lot of pump jumps, but not the most gnar by any means. Happy to show anyone around who is in Maine and likes a slow chair with lots of glade skiing.

My home hill BMOM is a little bump in Maine
    Ha...I grew up on the East Andover Rd below Whitecap and raced high school at Black. Moved to Bozeman in '94. Two classics side by each at BB:
    Hidden

Name:	Hidden.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	312.8 KB 
ID:	238314

Northwest Direct

Name:	NW.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	283.9 KB 
ID:	238315

Side by each (Hidden looker's L, NW looker's R) from afar in the Spring

Name:	Hidden-NW.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	368.8 KB 
ID:	238316
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    MaryJane - Trestle trees the hut
    same, Topher's does it for me consistently. At least I assume you're talking about Tophers (the naming convention that I use with friends is that "Ski Run Name trees" means the trees skier's left of that run, in which case Tophers isn't "Trestle trees").
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Sure, but...

If you ski the K12 dude, girls will go sterile just looking at you.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Bird-Lone Pine or Wilbur bowl

Brighton-Doyles

Soli-G Spot or EGB

Circa 86ish? @ Silver Star.
    Name:  10387471_10154637329065632_9028796107971905249_n.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  113.3 KB

This winter *Secret chute* when there is a big snow year at SS it opens up a ton of alder gullies that become the best "runs" on the mtn.

Name:	Screenshot_20180204-121602.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	512.3 KB 
ID:	238319
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Bird-Lone Pine or Wilbur bowl
    You'd put those over Great Scott? When I think about the Bird, I think GS

The one without any tracks on it.

Preferably before we open to the public and after the A/C route is completed.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Coño Frío View Post
    Would you put Climax over the runs off Chair 23? IF a visitor could only ski one or the other?
    It would depend on he skier. Wipe Out 1 on 23 is one of my favorite runs, along with Avi 2 on 22. Climax just offers more options and is the more "signature" run. As always, it's all condition dependent. The entrance to the runs on 23 can get pretty shitty. There are a lot of other great runs at Mammoth, but many are very condition /snow level dependent...Huevous, Hangman's, Phillipe's, not to mention a bunch of un-named runs (or at least not on the map.)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

At Squaw most people would say west face of KT--long and steep but wide and anyone can get down it alive unless it's solid ice. Personally I prefer Chute 75.

The "best" runs at my mtn aren't named and you won't find them on any reasonably-official trail map, but I'm particularly fond of 261 -> Unicorn or Hummocks.

For completeness the best run in the backyard is Roz's on a powder day & Serpentine when it isn't

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Copper - The Taco
    It's a big halfpipe, catches snow well and has great pitch.
    I hiked to and skied the taco with snowlerbladez a bunch of years. It was epic. Couldn't, for the life of me, figure out why the guys at the little patrol shack were giving me such funny looks when I passed by.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Shot 10 Bowl
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    deep south
    God damn it.

It's the one at Alta that just past the big rock by a pine tree.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    The one without any tracks on it.

Preferably before we open to the public and after the A/C route is completed.
    blessed are those who perform migation control routes on the terrain i like to ski best
    and the rewards they reap are deserving
    no puma to the soli goods but if ya come out i'll hump yur skis should you desire fantasy fufillments
    scoring the guild line from the tops a soli classic
    and i'll never forget the look on that guys face when he broke trail out the honeycomb traverse only to have a couple freaks poach yur freshie fresh from above
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

fkn goat ass fun freaking laps bro!
    i have to find a way to train for soli
    This is how I picture Mags training for 19BBI-Soli

https://youtu.be/Cr4DDZqGm2k

Quote Originally Posted by Coño Frío View Post
    Would you put Climax over the runs off Chair 23? IF a visitor could only ski one or the other?
    I love Climax, and lap it quite a bit. The area to skier's right under the Top of the World lines is fun, gets good windbuff, and the area to skier's left, sign line, is also fun. That being said I prefer the Paranoids off of chair 23. The noids are long, and they have a fun pitch. They get great windbuff, and in the spring they corn up nicely. Often I will do laps where I either take the gondi to Climax or Hangman's, then go to chair 23 for a noids lap which takes me back to the gondola. I could do that all day, and sometimes do. If you get the chance to hit the noids in powder that is a treat, but it gets such good windbuff that the area is usually fun. I spend maybe more time there than anywhere else at Mammoth. The noids don't usually bump up too badly, which is nice. Climax is good skier's right or skier's left.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

deep south

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1528686855.691329.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	590.3 KB 
ID:	238573
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters