Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Great footage.

dam scary

tornados and lightning are 2 things that freak me out. been through a tornado that skipped our neighborhood way back when, parents and neighbors were throwing a party in the only basement for couple blocks around. friend lost his house. had lightning strike a power poll transformer in the backyard while I was watching a storm, needed new pants after that one. i get off the golf course asap if anything near.

Our golf team coach (I was a tremendous slouch), was struck by lightning on the 9 hole course at our High School. Knocked out cold for awhile with some burns, but came to and walked home under his own power. He was in the 7th fairway, and didn't finish out the round, disappointingly.

the obilgatory " I don't think the hard stuff will come down for another hour"
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Great footage.
    +1

Wapo article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.a49813b68679

Severe weather is the thing I fear most when backpacking or any camping away from structures or cars. I think hail would suck most to try to survive in a tent. Tornado or lightning there is nothing you can do but hope it doesn't hit you. if it doesn't your good.. But, Hail usually covers a much bigger zone of destruction. Imagine sitting in a tent getting pounded by baseball size or larger hail. That would totally suck.. First thought would be cower under your sleep pad.. or backpack if it's within reach but backpacks usually stay out of the tent due to food smells..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

2nd to last shot in first video: c'mon man, you gotta stick around to finish the shot! That trailer was done for.

2nd video around 10:30 showed a second tornado spawned off the big one!

Tornado near Laramie, WY, 6/6/18

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Severe weather is the thing I fear most when backpacking or any camping away from structures or cars. I think hail would suck most to try to survive in a tent. Tornado or lightning there is nothing you can do but hope it doesn't hit you. if it doesn't your good.. But, Hail usually covers a much bigger zone of destruction. Imagine sitting in a tent getting pounded by baseball size or larger hail. That would totally suck.. First thought would be cower under your sleep pad.. or backpack if it's within reach but backpacks usually stay out of the tent due to food smells..
    I got caught in a nasty hail storm riding my mtb between Nederland and Ward off the Peak to Peak Hwy.

I got off my bike and tried to hide in the trees but it was no use. Just decided to keep riding since I was already wet and miserable. Fun times.

I've been in a tent through two tornadoes.

First was in Colorado Springs, around 1980. Went to bed in nice weather, woke to screaming winds at 3am-ish. Knocked our tent down; bent the aluminum poles. Remember those little pins at the corner of large tents that went into the bottom of the poles? Well those little bastards were whipping in the wind, banging us in the head. We hid in our sleeping bags with frisbees on our heads like helmets, with the collapsed tent on top of us. During a lull, we ran for our van and rode it out. When daylight came, we found RVs on their sides, and boats blown 50 feet upslope from shore. Turns out a tornado ripped through our campsite.

Second was funny. GF at the time (1990-ish) hated camping (thus she's my ex), but she finally agreed to go to a state park in MN. Everything was fine until 2am, when the winds came up. Knocked our tent flat; we crammed everything into the car, soaked, and drove home. After watching the news the next day, and realizing a tornado had passed a few hundred yards from our site, she vowed to never go camping again. We broke up.

Great footage. I was very close to a tornado in OK once. Pretty cool once it was over.

those are scary videos. excellent footage - so surreal
    the tornado warnings had our TV's all bleeping and blooping yesterday afternoon about this
    skid luxury

Mt Evans had a tornado, so guess Jackson could?

But yeah, the bleep and bloop sucks when you ain't near it.

How many F's for that tornado? Looked like it was gonna be a little rope, but was more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    But yeah, the bleep and bloop sucks when you ain't near it.
    it was fine bc it wasn't jeopardy time

I dont know if we cd get a big tornado up here- maybe bc of the "hole" nature of the valley one could develop though
    we have gotten several hail storms this summer already though
    and lightening is freaky- I don't like to mess around with it but our norm is for a 3-5pm thunderstorm most afternoons
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I've been in a tent through two tornadoes.

she vowed to never go camping again. We broke up.
    I'd never go backpacking/camping with you either...

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I'd never go backpacking/camping with you either...
    Can’t say I blame you...

Did I ever tell you about the time I pitched my tent, in the dark, on a fire ant mound?

Can’t say I blame you...

Did I ever tell you about the time I pitched my tent, in the dark, on a fire ant mound?

Worst mishap we had was also after running out if light on a hike. Set up in the middle of a clearing, seemed like a high spot. POURED rain from midnight until about 6am and our pads and the bottom of the tent were floating. It was a rubber bottom tent with 6" rubber sidewalls so we actually stayed surprisingly dry until we had to get out and walk through about 6" of water in every direction and drag the tent to a better spot.

Of course, all the others noticed and were laughing at us pulling the floating boat tent across the pond.

My son still talks about that with every new batch of kids working on Tenderfoot...

I remember being at Boy Scout camp and getting strong straight line winds, enough that trees and branches came down. We all fled the tents because they were all setup in the shade near trees. Then the winds completely died. A minute later we were looking up at a funnel cloud emerging directly overhead. It touched down a few hundred yards from us.

We had a tornado warned storm in Teton Valley that day as well. Dry Line was set up over the Rockies and charging East with the mid level cold front that came through. Pretty neat, not unheard of for rotation in these parts, especially on that side of the divide.

For those interested, the Teton Yellowstone Tornado in the 80's was a pretty phenomenal event, an F4 that crossed the divide in the park. BBear, it recorded some damage at the Village before becoming Tornadic to the NE. Ted Fujita (the F in F scale of rating) did a pretty phenomenal report on it: https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf...J%3E2.0.CO%3B2

Our little storm dropped a wall cloud and lame funnel with a little bit of rotation. Nothing more than some booming and hail though. A cute little F1 touched down out by the INL, I think Idaho set a record with 4 setting down that day.

I failed out of Atmospheric Sciences, couldn't pass the math....

That's not the mound I like to pitch a tent in, unless you take out the "ant" part. Just 'Fire mound' would work fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    That's not the mound I like to pitch a tent in, unless you take out the "ant" part. Just 'Fire mound' would work fine though.
    My wife is a redhead, so...

Holy shit those are beautiful. Imagine hundreds/thousands of years ago what people thought when they saw those.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Holy shit those are beautiful. Imagine hundreds/thousands of years ago what people thought when they saw those.

Yeah, I was thinking about that earlier... trying to put myself in the moccasins of some Plains Indian seeing these things once in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post

One of the many things that made them say "the gods must be angry, who do we sacrifice this time?"

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    One of the many things that made them say "the gods must be angry, who do we sacrifice this time?"
    The ugly one! They're still a virgin!