Black Crow Dorsa Backpack

Was just looking at some backpacks and came across the Black Crow Dorsa. Knew they were trying to get into outerwear etc. but hadn't heard of this backpack. Tried to look up reviews or videos and honestly have never seen so little information about a piece of gear from a big company. Has anyone used one?

Black Crows is growing pretty fast here in Euro countries, not shure how big they are across the pond..
    BC is investing big time on outerwear growth the next few years, I believe a summer line will drop next year..
    I presume you refer to the Dorsa 27L, not the 20L? The 20L is just a backpack, nothing really interesting. The 27L is interesting but it does not have a dedicated compartment for your probe and shovel. Its more like an alpine style backpack with the roll top closure but with added ski features. So if that is what you are looking for it is a great pack but the fabric is not the lightest on the other hand is more durable than lighter fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghini View Post
    I presume you refer to the Dorsa 27L, not the 20L? The 20L is just a backpack, nothing really interesting. The 27L is interesting but it does not have a dedicated compartment for your probe and shovel. Its more like an alpine style backpack with the roll top closure but with added ski features.
    To what compartment does the vertical zipper give access? Directly to the main compartment or a front pocket to small for the shovel blade?
    Do you own the pack and could maybe upload some photos of it wide open to see the different compartments? Tank you!

Black Crows is growing pretty fast here in Euro countries, not shure how big they are across the pond..
    BC is investing big time on outerwear growth the next few years, I believe a summer line will drop next year..
    I presume you refer to the Dorsa 27L, not the 20L? The 20L is just a backpack, nothing really interesting. The 27L is interesting but it does not have a dedicated compartment for your probe and shovel. Its more like an alpine style backpack with the roll top closure but with added ski features. So if that is what you are looking for it is a great pack but the fabric is not the lightest on the other hand is more durable than lighter fabrics.
    Yeah was referring to the 27L one. It looks like it does have a spot for shovel / probe but agreed, no dedicated compartment. And no helmet carry for touring is a bit of a deal breaker at least for myself so wasnt planning on picking one up, just was honestly intrigued how little information was out there for the backpack.

And in the US i'd say its one of those brands that people who are into skiing know but probably not the casual skier. Definitely gaining traction though as you will run into a decent amount of people with their skis on a normal resort day

The 27l has an internal divider within the main compartment. There is space for a shovel and probe behind the divider. If you had to you would be able to access the shovel/probe quickly through the roll top opening. While the vertical zipper gives very easry access to the main compartment, you would be reaching past your gear - so not ideal in a hurry.

While I mainly ski with an ABS, I have the Dorsa for touring and skiing with the kids. It is an excellent little bag.

Does it have a spot for a helmet?

They'd appear to be growing like mad over here as well. Probably saw more crows at the resort this season than dynastars.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    The 27l has an internal divider within the main compartment. There is space for a shovel and probe behind the divider. If you had to you would be able to access the shovel/probe quickly through the roll top opening. While the vertical zipper gives very easry access to the main compartment, you would be reaching past your gear - so not ideal in a hurry.

While I mainly ski with an ABS, I have the Dorsa for touring and skiing with the kids. It is an excellent little bag.
    Thank you! Did I get this right: the shovel goes next to the back-panel and then there is the main compartment next to it separated by a divider. Both is accesses via the rolltop and the vertical zipper gives access to the main compartment? Does the shovel blade not hurt you back when you have the pack on?

Pictures still appreciated! Lets make this the number one online source for Dorsa Backpack questions!

Sounds like a reasonable layout - I ski a lot with airbag, too but I might be tempted to get my hands on a dorsa as my gear gear acquisition syndrome leans towards backpacks.

Quote Originally Posted by m22922 View Post
    Does it have a spot for a helmet?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoK View Post
    Thank you! Did I get this right: the shovel goes next to the back-panel and then there is the main compartment next to it separated by a divider. Both is accesses via the rolltop and the vertical zipper gives access to the main compartment? Does the shovel blade not hurt you back when you have the pack on?

Pictures still appreciated! Lets make this the number one online source for Dorsa Backpack questions!

Sounds like a reasonable layout - I ski a lot with airbag, too but I might be tempted to get my hands on a dorsa as my gear gear acquisition syndrome leans towards backpacks.
    Yeah, that's exactly how it works. Shovel not a problem next to the back. Have yet to fall badly on it, mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    No.
    Got it. thanks!

We toured with the BC crew in Italy in March. Most of them had Dorsa 27s and they seemed very functional as touring packs. The roll top + outer zip was interesting. It has a streamlined cut and clean lines; maybe like a simplified Patagonia Descentionist? Didn't seem as wide or tall as my BD packs; nice for moving around, rope work, etc. Expensive!

How's the padding of the straps?