Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Crested Butte and Stevens pass get Epic (as in bought by Vail)

Vail just bought CB, Okemo and MT Sunapee. ETA: and Stevens pass

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2018/...-vail-resorts/

This ought to ruffle a few feathers...

Upon further review, they also picked up Stevens pass in WA: https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/n...g-crested.html

And another article with pass info. Looks like Stevens and CB will be on the Epic and Epic Local next year: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300658976.html

Jay Peak next!

Sad day. Feel bad for the CB locals.

At least GoldenBoy stands to make a killing in real estate in the next few years.

Vail Resorts has always been at war with Eastasia
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Sad day. Feel bad for the CB locals.
    Yeah, it sucks when you all-of-the-sudden get access to a shitton of other resorts around the world on a pass that costs $200 less than what you used to pay for one discounted pass. Vibes...

Gondola from East River to Headwall, with a mid station at the North Face????
    Maybe that expansion below Teo2 gets expedited.

Stevens Pass and CB are huge blows. I grew up skiing at Stevens Pass and my wife's family ran a ski school there in the 60s/70s. Sucks to see a place with such history and connection to the N Seattle area get whitewashed into another Vail extension. CB has always been a place of refuge for us; escape the crowds at the right time of year and enjoy a charming town. I'm sure Vail will bring more $$$ into their economy, but it will suck to see the authenticity fade away.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Gondola from East River to Headwall, with a mid station at the North Face????
    It will connect to the Beaver Creekm to Abasin gondola. An extension to to Telluride will be built in 2021.

Worst birthday present ever for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Scientist View Post
    Stevens Pass and CB are huge blows. I grew up skiing at Stevens Pass and my wife's family ran a ski school there in the 60s/70s. Sucks to see a place with such history and connection to the N Seattle area get whitewashed into another Vail extension. CB has always been a place of refuge for us; escape the crowds at the right time of year and enjoy a charming town. I'm sure Vail will bring more $$$ into their economy, but it will suck to see the authenticity fade away.
    On the flip side, Seattle just gained the ability to hop on a plane out of Seatac (which is cheap AF BTW) and ski 7 world class ski resorts in CO in addition to Whistler, and Stevens (not to mention Park City or Tahoe, or Japan anyone?). That's a pretty damn good ROI for a $600-$700 investment especially considering that's what a pass to just Stevens cost before.

Now if Baker were to be sold to VR, maybe I'd be lamenting the loss of soul, but Stevens? Seattle is a major metropolitan city, about time they got on a pass. Ripe for the picking.

But dat lift line tho

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    But dat lift line tho
    Yeah, Stevens will be crushed, that's for sure.

Bike park access anyone? Keystone, CB, Stevens?

Stevens has always been crushed, particularly the parking.
    I wonder what effect this will have on Crustal and Alpental.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    On the flip side, Seattle just gained the ability to hop on a plane out of Seatac (which is cheap AF BTW) and ski 7 world class ski resorts in CO in addition to Whistler, and Stevens (not to mention Park City or Tahoe, or Japan anyone?). That's a pretty damn good ROI for a $600-$700 investment especially considering that's what a pass to just Stevens cost before.

Now if Baker were to be sold to VR, maybe I'd be lamenting the loss of soul, but Stevens? Seattle is a major metropolitan city, about time they got on a pass. Ripe for the picking.
    CO or Japan makes much more sense coming from Seattle. Utah is skippable.

Yeah, Stevens will be crushed, that's for sure.

Bike park access anyone? Keystone, CB, Stevens?
    Well no Whistler bike access for epic yet... But it would be awesome

This is a really sad day. Stevens is fucked. Will be interesting when they try to put in Vail rules.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah, it sucks when you all-of-the-sudden get access to a shitton of other resorts around the world on a pass that costs $200 less than what you used to pay for one discounted pass. Vibes...
    Careful. Having been through a Vail buyout I’d take the past. $200 in the pocket can no way make up for the endless crowds of dipshits, unaffordable lunches and fuck the locals attitude that Vail brings. Just crossed CB off of my list even with an epic pass.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

For now. It's just like airline consolidation. The first couple years the prices are low so the DOJ doesn't put a stop to more M+A. Then, once there is a near monopoly the prices will get jacked up. Five years from now the full epic pass will $2,400 and the Icon pass will be $2,200 and people on TGR will bitching about how skiing is only for the rich and wasn't that way in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    This is a really sad day. Stevens is fucked. Will be interesting when they try to put in Vail rules.
    Everyone is so damn negative about this! Why am I the only one STOKED!! Grew up in the PNW skied Stevens through college then moved to DEN for Med school. This is great because now that I am in Spokane I can justify buying an EPIC to ski Stevens/Whistler and make a few trips back to Denver to ski The Basin.

Stevens is limited by Parking (just like The Basin) so when parking fills the resort is at Capacity. Sure hogs and skyline will have lines but go elsewhere to avoid them. Fuck hike cowboy or stick on 7th. JAAHEEZUS.

Or just bitch.

On the flip side, Seattle just gained the ability to hop on a plane out of Seatac (which is cheap AF BTW) and ski 7 world class ski resorts in CO
    Well... that's debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Careful. Having been through a Vail buyout I’d take the past. $200 in the pocket can no way make up for the endless crowds of dipshits, unaffordable lunches and fuck the locals attitude that Vail brings. Just crossed CB off of my list even with an epic pass.

Bingo. I’ve yet to see Vail buy a place and improve it. Season ticket price isn’t everything.

I didn’t think it was even possible for Stevens to get more crowded. I’m sure they will try to expand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    For now. It's just like airline consolidation. The first couple years the prices are low so the DOJ doesn't put a stop to more M+A. Then, once there is a near monopoly the prices will get jacked up. Five years from now the full epic pass will $2,400 and the Icon pass will be $2,200 and people on TGR will bitching about how skiing is only for the rich and wasn't that way in the past.
    Well, seeing how it's gone from $199 for 3 resorts in the late nineties, to $899 for a shitton of resorts 20 years later (I won't even add in rate of inflation), I'd say their track record doesn't support $2,400 in five years, but you could be right, and that'd still be a bargain if you think about it. But why not enjoy it now while it is cheap and worry about higher prices if/when they come?

VR get's a ton of hate, and yeah, they are a monopoly, but what they've done for skiing is pretty amazing if you think about it. Passes used to cost $1000 to just one or 2 mountains when I started skiing. I took out a loan one year to buy a season pass in the mid 90's.

Whenever people bitch about the Epic pass and VR I can't help but think of this clip from Louis CK:

This is pretty much what you are saying, and it's kind of a shitty way to go through life.
    "Yeah, things are great now, but it is totally gonna suck in the future"

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Everyone is so damn negative about this! Why am I the only one STOKED!!

Sure hogs and skyline will have lines but go elsewhere to avoid them. Fuck hike cowboy or stick on 7th. JAAHEEZUS.

Or just bitch.
    We’re negative because Vail ruins all that is good about local ski places.
    Have you skied Stevens in the past couple years!? It’s virtually unskiable on the weekends due to lines. You can’t just “stick to 7th” as most runs require you to take Skyline back up which is a disaster. That is unless you want to ski the 400ft face over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Well... that's debatable.
    Yeah, since the beginning of TGR, hardcore skiers have talked shit about Vail. However, to the mediocre, resort driven skier who lives in any city, and who's life doesn't revolve around skiing, Vail, BC, Breck are pretty fucking awesome. I meet people from WA every year who come to CO for a little sunny groomer skiing because the weather and resorts suck there for the average skier.