Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Well, seeing how it's gone from $199 for 3 resorts in the late nineties, to $899 for a shitton of resorts 20 years later (I won't even add in rate of inflation), I'd say their track record doesn't support $2,400 in five years, but you could be right, and that'd still be a bargain if you think about it. But why not enjoy it now while it is cheap and worry about higher prices if/when they come?

VR get's a ton of hate, and yeah, they are a monopoly, but what they've done for skiing is pretty amazing if you think about it. Passes used to cost $1000 to just one or 2 mountains when I started skiing. I took out a loan one year to buy a season pass in the mid 90's.

Whenever people bitch about the Epic pass and VR I can't help but think of this clip from Louis CK:
    Yeah, I mean, why even have antitrust laws in the first place. Just enjoy it. It's not like the father of modern capitalism didn't warn against monopolistic control of a market. But yeah, let's quote Luis CK instead of thinking about longterm consequences of a duopoly controling an entire industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Yeah, I mean, why even have antitrust laws in the first place. Just enjoy it. It's not like the father of modern capitalism didn't warn against monopolistic control of a market. But yeah, let's quote Luis CK instead of thinking about longterm consequences of a duopoly controling an entire industry.
    Let's not get too holier-than-thou.

For Christ's sake - it's just skiing. It isn't like skiing is a necessity. Why doesn't everybody just quit buying the fucking passes? That would send both of these members of the skiing cartel straight down the tubes.

Oh, that's right - because it's actually a pretty fucking good deal. At least for some of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    This is pretty much what you are saying, and it's kind of a shitty way to go through life.
    "Yeah, things are great now, but it is totally gonna suck in the future" even though, they haven't done this yet, and they've definitely had the chance many times.

VR has actually saved this industry multiple times. You know how much money people had to spend on gear after they bought a $199 pass? I worked in the ski industry back then and it was an instant bump in gear sales. Skier visits were through the roof, and jobs in ski the ski towns were plentiful and pay went up.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    We’re negative because Vail ruins all that is good about local ski places.
    Have you skied Stevens in the past couple years!?
    You are correct, it's been 4 years so a lot could have changed however my litmus test is The Basin. Still an incredible resort that isn't completely fusterclucked with people that gets small incremental changes that improve it over the course of time. Oh and food is still cheap and people are still personable. So sure we can overgeneralize but I think when you actually look at each resort you will find that Vail isn't SATAN.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Yeah, since the beginning of TGR, hardcore skiers have talked shit about Vail. However, to the mediocre, resort driven skier who lives in any city, and who's life doesn't revolve around skiing, Vail, BC, Breck are pretty fucking awesome. I meet people from WA every year who come to CO for a little sunny groomer skiing because the weather and resorts suck there for the average skier.
    Let's be perfectly clear: there are no ski resorts in WA, only ski areas.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

My guess is the only reason VR bought Stevens is because Seattle is growing like crazy and it’s a recruitment tool to bring Seattle residents to Whistler for long weekends. Was Stevens, probably could just as easily been Crystal or Alpental...VR wants the Seattle consumer to vacation in Whistler.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Let's be perfectly clear: there are no ski resorts in WA, only ski areas.
    Which is exactly why people in WA will buy an Epic pass, ski Stevens on the weekends, and fly to a number of resorts in other states for their vacations. It was just a matter of time. Now I predict Ikon gets Crystal and/or Alpental and/or SAS, and hopefully Baker gives them all the finger.

Vibes to the Sunapee locals.

It was Stevens because the highly crooked capital management fund that owned it is in financial and regulatory trouble. And really didn't care whether they owned a ski area... or not.

To them it was just a line in a portfolio.
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 06-04-2018 at 11:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    just crossed CB off of my list even with an epic pass.
    That's too bad, it's an amazing mountain.
    Vail can change many things, for better and worse, but they can't change terrain.
    Can they put some snowguns in Spellbound and Third? That would be a favorable upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    You are correct, it's been 4 years so a lot could have changed however my litmus test is The Basin. Still an incredible resort that isn't completely fusterclucked with people that gets small incremental changes that improve it over the course of time. Oh and food is still cheap and people are still personable. So sure we can overgeneralize but I think when you actually look at each resort you will find that Vail isn't SATAN.
    Just a point that may or may not really matter, but unlike most of the Epic Pass resorts, A-Basin is not owned by Vail Resorts, they just partner with them.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Vail can change many things, but they can't change terrain.
    They can certainly close it, or remove rock and such to make entrances more "family friendly." I wouldn't put it past them to use some dynamite to grade out the entrances into the North Face stuff to make it more "accessible." Right now it's a great gaper filter.

A glass-half-full opinion from someone who generally avoids the US-2 corridor anyway:

Perhaps big money momentum will be applied to the necessary expansion of the Stevens lift-served acreage with this exchange... with the likely-futile hope that some pressure can be temporarily taken off the other ski hills near Pugetopolis.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    It was Stevens because the highly crooked capital management fund that owned it is in financial and regulatory trouble. And really didn't care whether they owned a ski area... or not.

To them it was just a line in a portfolio.
    That’s my point, VR didn’t give a shit which brand it was buying. They just wanted a seller in a market that is desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    You are correct, it's been 4 years so a lot could have changed however my litmus test is The Basin
    My... oh my. Understatement of the millenium, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    That's too bad, it's an amazing mountain.
    Vail can change many things, for better and worse, but they can't change terrain.
    Can they put some snowguns in Spellbound and Third? That would be a favorable upgrade.
    Sure... all Spellbound and Third are *really* missing is icy man-made shit "snow"...

Cloud seed that sucker, anything to get Third Bowl open more.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    A glass-half-full opinion from someone who generally avoids the US-2 corridor anyway:

Perhaps big money momentum will be applied to the necessary expansion of the Stevens lift-served acreage with this exchange... with the likely-futile hope that some pressure can be temporarily taken off the other ski hills near Pugetopolis.
    ^ Yep... it wasn't like Och Ziff was ever going to finance any expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    My... oh my. Understatement of the millenium, perhaps?
    It could be argued that since they are not actually owned by VR, that they've been fucking the place up themselves for the last 20 years.

Most mountain town locals live where they do despite the corporate parent of the ski resort not because of it. In is reality. Always has been, always will be. As mentioned, it will be interesting to see what, if anything, changes with the skiing at CB.

To be honest, I have always been part of the problem. I have skied Crested Butte a fair amount over the last 25 years but always ski free, included with my pass, 2 for 1 etc. That said, that town has been about like the rest of them for the last 10 years. Just a bunch of wealth white people with a mad collection of puffies, sucking down micros and chardonnay, inside a cloud of smug. Sure its a little quirky, sure their are some amazing skiers at the hill. The terrain, the backcountry, the natural beauty, it's off the charts. But the people, the vibe, all that...it ain't as special as some make it out to be.

Does getting bought by Vail suck? Probably. Could you see it coming? Probably. Do I feel sorry for anybody? Not so much.

Vail Resorts, Vail Resorts über alles,
    Über alles in der Welt,
    Wenn es stets zu Gewinn und Erwerb,
    Aktionär zusammenhält,
    Von der Telluride bis an die Whistler,
    Von der Stevens Pass bis an den Crested Butte,
    Vail Resorts, Vail Resorts über alles,
    Über alles in der Welt!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Most mountain town locals live where they do despite the corporate parent of the ski resort not because of it. In is reality. Always has been, always will be. As mentioned, it will be interesting to see what, if anything, changes with the skiing at CB.

To be honest, I have always been part of the problem. I have skied Crested Butte a fair amount over the last 25 years but always ski free, included with my pass, 2 for 1 etc. That said, that town has been about like the rest of them for the last 10 years. Just a bunch of wealth white people with a mad collection of puffies, sucking down micros and chardonnay, inside a cloud of smug. Sure its a little quirky, sure their are some amazing skiers at the hill. The terrain, the backcountry, the natural beauty, it's off the charts. But the people, the vibe, all that...it ain't as special as some make it out to be.

Does getting bought by Vail suck? Probably. Could you see it coming? Probably. Do I feel sorry for anybody? Not so much.
    ^^^ this
    Mainstreet CB could be Breck or Frisco if you squint your eyes a little. Still some quaint shops, but the growing popularity, without enough money to take advantage of explosion of growth on the FR begs for corporate investment. Now if Vail could just make it snow there.

Quote Originally Posted by AyoBeng View Post
    Vibes to the Sunapee locals.
    May help resurrect the legendary Lebanon, NH though.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    ^ Yep... it wasn't like Och Ziff was ever going to finance any expansion.
    And widen hwy 2 through Sultan??

It will be interesting to see if vail has enough clout to push through a snodgrass expansion.

Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    Careful. Having been through a Vail buyout I’d take the past. $200 in the pocket can no way make up for the endless crowds of dipshits, unaffordable lunches and fuck the locals attitude that Vail brings.

So what's going to change at Stevens Pass?