Heli wars rich people suing

I would laugh if it were not so sad https://www.adn.com/outdoors-adventu...federal-court/
    off your knees Louie

I hope they all lose with this type of advert

Visitors pay $14,000 a week, he added. They can enjoy a sauna, massage therapist, groomed cross-country ski trails, high-speed Wi-Fi, a 500-bottle wine cellar and a gourmet kitchen that features white king salmon and Kachemak Bay oysters, according to the lodge's website.
    Hello darkness my old friend

[QUOTEThe company's permit means there are more opportunities for skiing in the remote Neacolas. But the addition of Alaska Snowboard Guides, and its daily use of the area, has also fundamentally changed it, said Brill, who runs Silverton Mountain Guides.

"You're going to run into other helicopters, you're going to run into other skiers. You're going to lose some of the opportunities for that wild, remote experience," he said. "It's definitely changed the character of the experience that the public gets."[/QUOTE]
    Amazing how little Brill cares about the experiences his operation has taken away from previous users.
    off your knees Louie

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Comedy Gold in the comments

There are so few places the really rich can go to escape the rest of us that I fully support this lawsuit. The fundamental, god-given rights of the wealthy go all the way back to the English lord's right to execute a starving peasant who poaches a deer on the lord's land. The rich are the glue that holds this country together. Their exclusive right to fresh, pristine powder must be preserved.

The part of the Neacolas used for heli-skiing is a federally designated "area of critical environmental concern," with "hanging valleys and ice and snowfields [that] dominate the landscape, interspersed with razor-sharp ridgelines," according to a BLM description.

"Anywhere else in the country it would be a national park,"(lodge founder) Overcast said.

Which likely would limit air ops further.

Once the first helicopter enters the area it's not wild any more.
    Reminds me of people saying high rises will destroy the wild, scenic beauty of Squaw Valley.

I would think that Brill would stay in Colorado. There are other areas in Colorado were heliskiing could be done, then just around Silverton.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

This is the stupidest shit I've every seen. Seriously if it's open to motorized use it should be open to everyone.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    This is the stupidest shit I've every seen. Seriously if it's open to motorized use it should be open to everyone.
    Don't the heli ops in Valdez each have some tenured areas where only their op is allowed to fly? I'm pretty sure they don't all hit the same peaks just because

This is pretty funny, ASG have been saying that they're the only ones who fly in the Neacola's and every run is a first descent

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    I would think that Brill would stay in Colorado. There are other areas in Colorado were heliskiing could be done, then just around Silverton.

But Dude...... It is AK...... the spines.......... SPINES!!!!!
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Of all the first world problems..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Don't the heli ops in Valdez each have some tenured areas where only their op is allowed to fly? I'm pretty sure they don't all hit the same peaks just because
    I'm pretty sure they all just land on top of skinners. But I could be wrong. I think they all "share" the terrain
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

"It has nothing to do with competitive interest, or issues that arise between operators," -Overcast said.

I almost fell out of my chair after reading that. Overcast is a legendary dick who acts like he and only he is allowed to fly in the Tordrillos. This is one-hundred percent about trying to keep other operators off of open range state land.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonbum1 View Post
    This is pretty funny, ASG have been saying that they're the only ones who fly in the Neacola's and every run is a first descent
    I wouldn't believe anything ASG says. That is a general statement, not taking sides in this particular issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Not bunion View Post
    But Dude...... It is AK...... the spines.......... SPINES!!!!!
    Oh, is that what its all about..... ;-)
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

in Valdez, all the heli ops share the same land. Thompson Pass receives lots of heli activity. Dean Cummings H20 does have a private permit and is able to fly into zones nobody else can fly into. So to answer your question, yes for H20, no for other operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Wibby View Post
    in Valdez, all the heli ops share the same land. Thompson Pass receives lots of heli activity. Dean Cummings H20 does have a private permit and is able to fly into zones nobody else can fly into. So to answer your question, yes for H20, no for other operations.
    Dean has a USFS permit which the others don't. The forest service limits users.
    off your knees Louie

Heli wars rich people suing

I thought VHSG also had an area that only they used. But it's been a long time since I was there so maybe that changed or was just Mtkg spin. Can't recall what they called that zone though

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Once the first helicopter enters the area it's not wild any more.
    Reminds me of people saying high rises will destroy the wild, scenic beauty of Squaw Valley.
    I've heard people bitching about mtn bikes in the "pristine" woods of Marin.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Amazing how little Brill cares about the experiences his operation has taken away from previous users.
    Those people don't matter.

I thought VHSG also had an area that only they used. But it's been a long time since I was there so maybe that changed or was just Mtkg spin. Can't recall what they called that zone though
    I don't know specifically, but some does has to do with weather and gas. VHSG is the farthest NE operation on the pass a good distance past the next operation, Rendevous, (which is a good distance past the next, ASG) so they can definitely end up with their own zones due to weather or the realities of how much time and gas it costs to fly out to the next operators zone.

ASG has been building helibases in multiple locations though so they can operate areas that would have otherwise mostly seen the closest lodge's helicopters (as they are in the OP article)... at least when they have working helicopters.

So I hear... I'm no expert on that stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I don't know specifically, but some does has to do with weather and gas. VHSG is the farthest NE operation on the pass a good distance past the next operation, Rendevous, (which is a good distance past the next, ASG) so they can definitely end up with their own zones due to weather or the realities of how much time and gas it costs to fly out to the next operators zone.

ASG has been building helibases in multiple locations though so they can operate areas that would have otherwise mostly seen the closest lodge's helicopters (as they are in the OP article)... at least when they have working helicopters.

So I hear... I'm no expert on that stuff.
    Actually, Rendevous is the furthest north on the pass...if you still call that the pass. Then VHSG, then ASG, then Black Ops, then H2O in town. H20 has the only permit in the Thompson Pass area...for now (this is the last season)...are they still even in business? Thats not to start any bad whatever, just word on the street from everyone. I don't think they will be around next season however, I wish them well. ASG is making a push to an area thats awesome. Theres room for everyone. I hope they can work together. They distance between the two out there is far. Silverton Heli are they traveling gypsies crushing great terrain wherever they choose. Thats a hard business model but Brill in no dummy. CPG is starting to get pressure from other operators and Valdez has had 5 ops plus road users, snow machines, you name it. We can all work together. Time will weed out the pretenders. We love our home in Cordova and are thankful. The town passed a resolution as to keeping it a single operator town. Thats awesome for us. I wish all ops success. Competition makes us all better. Oh yeah, didn't even mention Haines..they have there own issues as well but it appears they to are making it work with 3 ops there now. Again, time will weed out some. ....As the rotor turns...

Quinner
    PNH