Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 152
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,158

    The earth is flat

    https://www.newyorker.com/science/el...QwMjg1NDExOAS2

    “Facts are not true just because they’re facts, if that makes any sense,”

    “Science is really an excuse for people to be stupid.”

    “So many people in today’s world simply accept what they’re told,” Campanella said. “Whether it’s about their beliefs, whether it’s about their science, whether it’s about where you live. And if you’re going to accept what you’re told, you need to be open to the fact that people will always lie to you. . . . People will lie to you. If they can get one over on you, if they can do something that makes you less knowledgeable, that makes them make more money, that makes you into a slave, then they’ll do it. I should tell you that.”

    If all that gets you thinking there's this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistemology I managed 3 paragraphs.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,236
    "Another argument holds that, if Earth were truly spherical, an airplane flying above it would need to constantly adjust its nose downward to avoid flying straight into space. If, say, you flew on a plane and put a spirit level—one of those levels that you buy at the hardware store, with a capsule of liquid and an air bubble in the middle—on your tray table, the level should reveal a slight downward inclination. But it doesn’t: the level is level, the flight is level, the nose of the plane is level, and therefore the surface of Earth must be level."

    <facepalm>
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Edge of the Great Basin
    Posts
    1,461
    You don’t have a right to believe whatever you want to

    Unfortunately, many people today seem to take great licence with the right to believe, flouting their responsibility. The wilful ignorance and false knowledge that are commonly defended by the assertion ‘I have a right to my belief’ do not meet James’s requirements. Consider those who believe that the lunar landings or the Sandy Hook school shooting were unreal, government-created dramas; that Barack Obama is Muslim; that the Earth is flat; or that climate change is a hoax. In such cases, the right to believe is proclaimed as a negative right; that is, its intent is to foreclose dialogue, to deflect all challenges; to enjoin others from interfering with one’s belief-commitment. The mind is closed, not open for learning. They might be ‘true believers’, but they are not believers in the truth.

    https://aeon.co/ideas/you-dont-have-...er-you-want-to

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    4,435
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    "Another argument holds that, if Earth were truly spherical, an airplane flying above it would need to constantly adjust its nose downward to avoid flying straight into space. If, say, you flew on a plane and put a spirit level—one of those levels that you buy at the hardware store, with a capsule of liquid and an air bubble in the middle—on your tray table, the level should reveal a slight downward inclination. But it doesn’t: the level is level, the flight is level, the nose of the plane is level, and therefore the surface of Earth must be level."

    <facepalm>
    well I'm convinced

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,207
    It can't be flat...there would be a cat sitting on the edge pushing shit off...duh

    Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    10,158
    One problem is that most people learn in school the basics of physics but not how scientists figured it out. How did they figure out that the earth is 93 million miles from the sun. I read about it in a book (whose name I can't remember) but never in school, and I couldn't explain it now.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    4,435
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    One problem is that most people learn in school the basics of physics but not how scientists figured it out. How did they figure out that the earth is 93 million miles from the sun. I read about it in a book (whose name I can't remember) but never in school, and I couldn't explain it now.
    Another problem is that people are very stupid and don't care a lot

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    29,468
    It's a great read. I linked it in the longform magazine articles thread yesterday.

    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Another problem is that people are very stupid and don't care a lot
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    One problem is that most people learn in school the basics of physics but not how scientists figured it out. How did they figure out that the earth is 93 million miles from the sun. I read about it in a book (whose name I can't remember) but never in school, and I couldn't explain it now.
    That's the parallax of the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Jackson Hole
    Posts
    2,555
    I know a really smart guy, an engineer, who believes the earth is flat. Says its impossible for it to be a sphere. Hes tried to convince me several times.

    I also know a guy, an pseudo illiterate car mechanic-a good one- who believes the hole in the ozone is from rockets going through it.
    Custom Boots - Hand Tunes - Daily Wax
    Basement of the Hostel, Teton Village




    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

    Mark Twain

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    43,076
    moon landing was fake, they used the same studio that is used to perform the super bowl in front of a ‘live audience’.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    5,674
    We need more Buzz Aldrins going Worldstar on these fuckwads

    http://nerdist.com/wp-content/upload...ldrinPunch.gif

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Ontario Canada eh
    Posts
    3,329
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    moon landing was fake, they used the same studio that is used to perform the super bowl in front of a ‘live audience’.
    The "Moon Landing" is Stanley Kubrick's best production.....ever

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,669
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Jackson Hole
    Posts
    2,555
    Jackson is full of wired people. Heck Im one of them.

    Another smart guy is totally convinced the moon landing is fake.

    I for one, am convinced the moon landing is real. My primary evidence: vacuum tubes. If we had to get the moon, or anywhere for that matter, with micro chips, wed never get off the ground.
    Custom Boots - Hand Tunes - Daily Wax
    Basement of the Hostel, Teton Village




    Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

    Mark Twain

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    3,367
    Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    moon landing was fake, they used the same studio that is used to perform the super bowl in front of a ‘live audience’.
    Thought that was you Dale..

    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    24,436
    I believe the moon is flat...
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    CH
    Posts
    1,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    It can't be flat...there would be a cat sitting on the edge pushing shit off...duh

    Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    A study needs to be conducted on this theory!
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    24,436
    Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    A study needs to be conducted on this theory!
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    3,367
    Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    We need more Buzz Aldrins going Worldstar on these fuckwads

    http://nerdist.com/wp-content/upload...ldrinPunch.gif
    My father was room mates with Buzz at West Point.. Also on the boxing team.. Class of 1951
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    17,970
    I think I now understand the "Australia is a hoax" reasoning. If the earth is flat there'd be no way you could fly to Australia by flying west from the U.S or by flying east from, say, Europe. Therefore you really can't fly to Australia at all. There's no such place.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    29,468
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I think I now understand the "Australia is a hoax" reasoning. If the earth is flat there'd be no way you could fly to Australia by flying west from the U.S or by flying east from, say, Europe. Therefore you really can't fly to Australia at all. There's no such place.
    Ask a hoax Australian?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    17,970
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Ask a hoax Australian?
    You either don't exist or you're actually digitaldeath.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Posts
    4,313
    Ran into a flat earther on FB this morning. It's people like that that make me wonder if war is actually good. Highest and best use, and all that.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    43,076
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Thought that was you Dale..

    well alrighty then you must know my neighbor Hank.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    north aspect
    Posts
    43,076
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    You either don't exist or you're actually digitaldeath.
    Brit’s not posting from his mum’s basement
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •