Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

The earth is flat

https://www.newyorker.com/science/el...QwMjg1NDExOAS2

“Facts are not true just because they’re facts, if that makes any sense,”

“Science is really an excuse for people to be stupid.”

“So many people in today’s world simply accept what they’re told,” Campanella said. “Whether it’s about their beliefs, whether it’s about their science, whether it’s about where you live. And if you’re going to accept what you’re told, you need to be open to the fact that people will always lie to you. . . . People will lie to you. If they can get one over on you, if they can do something that makes you less knowledgeable, that makes them make more money, that makes you into a slave, then they’ll do it. I should tell you that.”

If all that gets you thinking there's this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epistemology I managed 3 paragraphs.

"Another argument holds that, if Earth were truly spherical, an airplane flying above it would need to constantly adjust its nose downward to avoid flying straight into space. If, say, you flew on a plane and put a spirit level—one of those levels that you buy at the hardware store, with a capsule of liquid and an air bubble in the middle—on your tray table, the level should reveal a slight downward inclination. But it doesn’t: the level is level, the flight is level, the nose of the plane is level, and therefore the surface of Earth must be level."

<facepalm>

You don’t have a right to believe whatever you want to

Unfortunately, many people today seem to take great licence with the right to believe, flouting their responsibility. The wilful ignorance and false knowledge that are commonly defended by the assertion ‘I have a right to my belief’ do not meet James’s requirements. Consider those who believe that the lunar landings or the Sandy Hook school shooting were unreal, government-created dramas; that Barack Obama is Muslim; that the Earth is flat; or that climate change is a hoax. In such cases, the right to believe is proclaimed as a negative right; that is, its intent is to foreclose dialogue, to deflect all challenges; to enjoin others from interfering with one’s belief-commitment. The mind is closed, not open for learning. They might be ‘true believers’, but they are not believers in the truth.

https://aeon.co/ideas/you-dont-have-...er-you-want-to

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    "Another argument holds that, if Earth were truly spherical, an airplane flying above it would need to constantly adjust its nose downward to avoid flying straight into space. If, say, you flew on a plane and put a spirit level—one of those levels that you buy at the hardware store, with a capsule of liquid and an air bubble in the middle—on your tray table, the level should reveal a slight downward inclination. But it doesn’t: the level is level, the flight is level, the nose of the plane is level, and therefore the surface of Earth must be level."

<facepalm>
    well I'm convinced

It can't be flat...there would be a cat sitting on the edge pushing shit off...duh

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app

One problem is that most people learn in school the basics of physics but not how scientists figured it out. How did they figure out that the earth is 93 million miles from the sun. I read about it in a book (whose name I can't remember) but never in school, and I couldn't explain it now.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    One problem is that most people learn in school the basics of physics but not how scientists figured it out. How did they figure out that the earth is 93 million miles from the sun. I read about it in a book (whose name I can't remember) but never in school, and I couldn't explain it now.
    Another problem is that people are very stupid and don't care a lot

It's a great read. I linked it in the longform magazine articles thread yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Another problem is that people are very stupid and don't care a lot
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    That's the parallax of the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I know a really smart guy, an engineer, who believes the earth is flat. Says it’s impossible for it to be a sphere. He’s tried to convince me several times.

I also know a guy, an pseudo illiterate car mechanic-a good one- who believes the hole in the ozone is from rockets going through it.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

We need more Buzz Aldrins going Worldstar on these fuckwads

http://nerdist.com/wp-content/upload...ldrinPunch.gif

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    moon landing was fake, they used the same studio that is used to perform the super bowl in front of a ‘live audience’.
    The "Moon Landing" is Stanley Kubrick's best production.....ever

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Jackson is full of wired people. Heck I’m one of them.

Another smart guy is totally convinced the moon landing is fake.

I for one, am convinced the moon landing is real. My primary evidence: vacuum tubes. If we had to get the moon, or anywhere for that matter, with micro chips, we’d never get off the ground.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    moon landing was fake, they used the same studio that is used to perform the super bowl in front of a ‘live audience’.
    Thought that was you Dale..

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I believe the moon is flat...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    It can't be flat...there would be a cat sitting on the edge pushing shit off...duh

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    A study needs to be conducted on this theory!
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by geo039 View Post
    A study needs to be conducted on this theory!

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    We need more Buzz Aldrins going Worldstar on these fuckwads

http://nerdist.com/wp-content/upload...ldrinPunch.gif
    My father was room mates with Buzz at West Point.. Also on the boxing team.. Class of 1951
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I think I now understand the "Australia is a hoax" reasoning. If the earth is flat there'd be no way you could fly to Australia by flying west from the U.S or by flying east from, say, Europe. Therefore you really can't fly to Australia at all. There's no such place.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I think I now understand the "Australia is a hoax" reasoning. If the earth is flat there'd be no way you could fly to Australia by flying west from the U.S or by flying east from, say, Europe. Therefore you really can't fly to Australia at all. There's no such place.
    Ask a hoax Australian?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Ask a hoax Australian?
    You either don't exist or you're actually digitaldeath.

Ran into a flat earther on FB this morning. It's people like that that make me wonder if war is actually good. Highest and best use, and all that.

Schrodinger's Troll?

My wife is a physics teacher in high school. She hears it all from kids and parents alike and manuevers through that shit like a fanboat on the glade. Shes got dual graduate degrees in physics and science education and would be deep into 6 figures in the private sector. We made the concious decision almost 20 years ago that teaching science to kids was more important than the money. Its a tough road but the righteous one never is easy.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    I know a really smart guy, an engineer, who believes the earth is flat. Says it’s impossible for it to be a sphere. He’s tried to convince me several times.
    Impossibru. That claim is like Law of excluded middle. Either one is smart and engineer, or... of fuck it. How...why....you...why...flat?

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    I also know a guy, an pseudo illiterate car mechanic-a good one- who believes the hole in the ozone is from rockets going through it.
    I´ll roll with him any day, to a certain extent... Few tons of LOX/RP-1 certainly would not patch a hole in the atmosphere, afaik. But I think Summit is the one to call this one out.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.