Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    One problem is that most people learn in school the basics of physics but not how scientists figured it out. How did they figure out that the earth is 93 million miles from the sun. I read about it in a book (whose name I can't remember) but never in school, and I couldn't explain it now.
    You need to go to a better school. We learned all that shit ad most of it was explained with a "how" as well. Some of it was wrong, or really too simplified to try and make kids understand. I was always a science nerd, so maybe I just remember it more. Of course I couldn't tell you how such things were determined now, but that is mostly just old age.

People are entitled to believe what ever the fuck they want, but they are not entitled to pass that off as true. Just like religion, you can personally believe it, just don't try ad teach it to me or my kids as true.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I think Flat Earthers are just fucking with people and they have meetings and laugh about how everybody's falling for their troll.

Like the people at the World Rock Paper Scissors society. http://worldrps.com <-they just play it with poker faces and people fall for it over and over. Like a certain fella from AlpineZone has in the past here.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I think Flat Earthers are just fucking with people and they have meetings and laugh about how everybody's falling for their troll.
    Did you read the New Yorker article?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

No I will though. Is this thread restricted to those who have read it?

No I will though. Is this thread restricted to those who have read it?
    It's a great read... They aren't fucking with people seemingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    The "Moon Landing" is Stanley Kubrick's best production.....ever
    Capricorn 1 is better

OJ for the win
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Capricorn 1 is better

OJ for the win
    QFT. And the juice.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    "Another argument holds that, if Earth were truly spherical, an airplane flying above it would need to constantly adjust its nose downward to avoid flying straight into space. If, say, you flew on a plane and put a spirit level—one of those levels that you buy at the hardware store, with a capsule of liquid and an air bubble in the middle—on your tray table, the level should reveal a slight downward inclination. But it doesn’t: the level is level, the flight is level, the nose of the plane is level, and therefore the surface of Earth must be level."

<facepalm>
    The nose is actually up.

Australia must be on another planet.

Is there anyway to work a treadmill into this for verification/falsification purposes?

In their defense, they still think the Earth is round; but like a table.

But I would like to hear a flat Earther explain the copious lack of edge-side lots.
    A more scenic view I cannot imagine.
    Last edited by pfluffenmeister; 06-03-2018 at 05:05 PM.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

If the world is flat, how come daylight hits different parts of the world at different times. And how come less real estate at the top & bottom of the map.... why do airlines fly over Hudson Bay to get from Denver to You're'op? The fact that these jumos aren't kidding is depressing but also inspirational.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Ask a hoax Australian?
    All those people with Australian accents are fakes--like the guy who does the Outback Steak House commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    You need to go to a better school. We learned all that shit ad most of it was explained with a "how" as well. Some of it was wrong, or really too simplified to try and make kids understand. I was always a science nerd, so maybe I just remember it more. Of course I couldn't tell you how such things were determined now, but that is mostly just old age.
    Perhaps. I didn't learn a lot of physics in HS. Teacher was this old round fellow who got his tie caught in a spinning wheel for some kind of electricity demonstration. He also was demonstrating the Van de Graaf generator, turned the lights off, held a flourescent tube up to the generator got a faint glow, went to turn on the lights, touched the light switch got a huge static shock and the light bulb lit up in his hand as he screamed. I spent most of HS physics ROFL--not metaphorically, literally--so if he explained it I missed it.

In college I learned and understood the surprisingly simple math behind Special Relativity. It didn't take long for me to forget but it was beautiful and elegant while it lasted.
    Last edited by old goat; 06-01-2018 at 05:59 PM.

The dumbing down of America has succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. These people are right up there with the Holocaust deniers.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    If the world is flat, how come daylight hits different parts of the world at different times. And how come less real estate at the top & bottom of the map.... why do airlines fly over Hudson Bay to get from Denver to You're'op? The fact that these jumos aren't kidding is depressing but also inspirational.
    Don't go gettin all scientifical about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    The dumbing down of America has succeeded beyond their wildest dreams. These people are right up there with the Holocaust deniers.
    At what point in history were we more smarterer? Always been this dumb or worse imo.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    ... They aren't fucking with people seemingly.
    I didn't really think that Flat Earthers are a bunch of sarcastic sophisticates with an inside joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Capricorn 1 is better

OJ for the win
    Good old Nordberg.

I didn't really think that Flat Earthers are a bunch of sarcastic sophisticates with an inside joke.
    Yeah--they're not from Brooklyn.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    well 3D chess kinda changed the equations
    1D chess.

At what point in history were we more smarterer? Always been this dumb or worse imo.
    Pretty sure American student test scores in math and science were higher compared to other nations 30-40 years ago.

Pretty sure American student test scores in math and science were higher compared to other nations 30-40 years ago.

I bet that's NdGT's middle finger.

There's no "universally objective" proof.

You can replicate something again and again, but if people don't believe that an experiment was ever set up to demonstrate proof in the first place, it doesn't matter. It could be done 100 trillion times, and to them it still won't be "proof."

In a court of law, before the trial ever even begins, the attorneys and judge have to agree on what evidence is admissible. In life however, there's no "agreeing on the evidence." We all accept whatever "proof" we want. Some people believe in one experiment, one version of history, some people believe in angels, others in horoscopes. If proof isn't universally objective, than nobody is ever more right than anybody else.

Now, how bad does that bother you?
    https://GearLobo.com
    "Good things come to those who bait"
    My greatest fear is that after I die, my wife will sell my gear for what I told her I paid for it.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Probably the best argument, right there.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Well, duh, obviously lunar eclipses happen when the side of the Earth with all the land on it is facing away from the sun, not when the edge is facing the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

In college I learned and understood the surprisingly simple math behind Special Relativity. It didn't take long for me to forget but it was beautiful and elegant while it lasted.
    Truth

Its not whether people were dumber back in the day, but they at least had a sense of wonder, and wanted to know more, except for some religious fanatics. Today, far too may people either don't bother to try and learn, or are openly hostile to learning. The flat earthers, and (republicans) are perfect examples.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Truth

Its not whether people were dumber back in the day, but they at least had a sense of wonder, and wanted to know more, except for some religious fanatics. Today, far too may people either don't bother to try and learn, or are openly hostile to learning. The flat earthers, and (republicans) are perfect examples.
    But my personal opinion and religious beliefs should be weighted just as heavily as the findings of eons or scientific research and review when forming public policy ....